There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Tiger » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:26 pm

sorry screwed up last post so..
Lancer also said :
You have food inspection agency chaps trying to ease things with customs guys in other countries so our meat and other agro exporters have a more efficient time selling their stuff outside of Canada. Transport Canada employs air traffic controllers who make sure the planes take off and arrrive safely and on time. People curse the public works guys who sit around in the shop when the weather's fine, but get a couple snowflakes dropping and how would commercial and residential traffic move without those union slobs behind the wheel? You think those folks don't add to the nation's wealth? Want to see what privatizing those services would create for the nation's wealth? I don't

Got to agree with you on Air Traffic control.. ( was one once ) but its governed by IACO ( UN based in Montreal ) not the canadian government .Yep, run by the DOT.Again "seniority over performance. The senior controller at Vancouver airport could not read a radar screen ! familiar with the "Diplomats".. mostly in Thailand where they are busy most of the year organizing a golf tournament for Ex Pats.. Called the Beaver Open.. though maybe should be called the Open Beaver considering the amount of lovely and available female caddies .. A private Canadian/thai Chamber of Commerce is much more useful in Import/Export..
OK.. now to the "public works " .. the BC department of highways privatized most of the highway work and saved a load of money.. and as for the municipal workers I for one am tired of watching 4 guys with 1 shovel trying to look busy.. Sure there are some things that should be government services but also should be made much more responsible to the public they are supposed to be serving ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby the Dogsalmon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:35 pm

keep going Tiger...most of us are lovin' it...the truth hurts...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby ukcanuck » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Tiger wrote:
ok.. starting with health care.. it Sucks.. in the year 2000 Canada was ranked as #30.. behind most of the developed world and just slightly better than the USA at #37.. Our cost per patient was #2.. just behind the USA again.. A waiting list is not medical care !! We do not offer any alternatives to the public "medical insurance ".. The insurance actually is to pay doctors , nurses plus bureaucrats, Sure Sweden is better ,, but so is Italy, France and many other countries that have private or mixed private and public hospitals.. The old plan put together by the SoCreds was far superior to our present one.. No waiting periods, new hospitals being built , no shortage of medical staff or equipment.. Hospitals cost $1 a day the rest was paid by the provincial sales tax.. Most of us had medical insurance but for the poor the BC government paid for MSI ( private medical insuance .. NO WAITING and a choice of treatment. :)

It's a bit unfair to refer to public health care as a government monopoly as its not something private industry is really interested in.
Sure there is big money in providing health care to the wealthy who have the resources to pay and that is exactly where a private companies resources would go

However a huge portion of society could never afford anything beyond basic medical care ( broken bones, trauma etc) so in just about every democratic country that cares about its people rich and poor has universal coverage.
It's not the system that's the problem, it's the cost of progress, so much of medical advances that are miraculous also are as expensive as hell.
You mention the cost per patient being way up there with the US, perhaps that has a lot to do with the high percentage of high cost complicated procedures performed in one of the richest societies on Earth compared to countries that have to send their serious cases to countries like Canada or the US because they don't have the the resources at home?
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby nuckster » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:16 pm

What the hell is this you guys!!?? This is a frikin hockey board and this thread is about the strike... (which should be titled `lockout'). If i wanted to read diatribe about the intricacies of fuckin healthcare I can opt to go to a site on healthcare... spare me!!! Is our moderator asleep at the wheel here, or has the lack of real hockey action been a catalyst for regression into or onto issues that actually mean something? I come here to escape reality and or digress into a alter-hockey universe.I wonder if my local Jr. A hockey team has a blog site? Jeeessus
cc oldtimer
nuckster
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby ukcanuck » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:38 pm

nuckster wrote:What the hell is this you guys!!?? This is a frikin hockey board and this thread is about the strike... (which should be titled `lockout'). If i wanted to read diatribe about the intricacies of fuckin healthcare I can opt to go to a site on healthcare... spare me!!! Is our moderator asleep at the wheel here, or has the lack of real hockey action been a catalyst for regression into or onto issues that actually mean something? I come here to escape reality and or digress into a alter-hockey universe.I wonder if my local Jr. A hockey team has a blog site? Jeeessus

Clearly it's the lack of anything in the NHL or the lockout to talk about that has the conversation going in this direction. Maybe you could hop a plane to New York and light a fire under Betamax and Fehr's ass for us all, I'm sure you would be a hero :)
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 pm

nuckster wrote:What the hell is this you guys!!?? This is a frikin hockey board and this thread is about the strike... (which should be titled `lockout'). If i wanted to read diatribe about the intricacies of fuckin healthcare I can opt to go to a site on healthcare... spare me!!!

Good call!!

Obviously this is all part of some commie plot.

points finger at UK, Lancer, and Per

GET THEM PITCHFORKERS!!!
____
Big Dog
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Tiger » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:06 pm

nuckster wrote:
What the hell is this you guys!!?? This is a frikin hockey board and this thread is about the strike... (which should be titled `lockout'). If i wanted to read diatribe about the intricacies of fuckin healthcare I can opt to go to a site on healthcare... spare me!!!

Good call nuckster ... dunno how I got sucked into that one !! ( Now for 1 last capitalistic shot )
HOCKEY PLAYERS DONT USE THE PUBLIC MEDICAL SYSTEM !! part of their agreement .. team doctors .. specialized medical care and insurance ..

God will I be glad to get back to actually enjoying hockey ...
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:07 pm

nuckster wrote:What the hell is this you guys!!?? This is a frikin hockey board and this thread is about the strike... (which should be titled `lockout'). If i wanted to read diatribe about the intricacies of fuckin healthcare I can opt to go to a site on healthcare... spare me!!! Is our moderator asleep at the wheel here, or has the lack of real hockey action been a catalyst for regression into or onto issues that actually mean something? I come here to escape reality and or digress into a alter-hockey universe.I wonder if my local Jr. A hockey team has a blog site? Jeeessus

Yeah, we should be talking about hockey, but thanks to ****** Bettman, there's no hockey to talk about. :evil:
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:16 pm

validity valid!! Nuckster the blog of which you speak for your Jr A team is likely active and on topic---due to having a season activly going....Do you really think in these dark times I or any mod should get down to the book on this...really, either dont read it or lighten up a little ..mmkay

*have I told anyone that "Dayana Mendoza" takes my breath away...:)
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Benjo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:57 pm

The NHL has altered its make whole provision today which entails the owners covering the costs rather than the players, this could be a big first step, but who knows what details are under the surface :scowl:

Also the winter classic was cancelled today which I don't really care about however I will miss the HBO 24/7 special, I love seeing the shit that happens out on the ice at the players level.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Per » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Either way, if the NHL leadership decides to forfeit another season, the trustees must put their foot down and stop them from desecrating Lord Stanley's memory. The cup is meant to be awarded annually to the best team in the Dominion. It says nothing of the NHL. If the NHL is too busy with yet another pissing contest, the cup should be awarded to the best team in the Dominion that IS playing.
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby the Dogsalmon » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Per wrote:Either way, if the NHL leadership decides to forfeit another season, the trustees must put their foot down and stop them from desecrating Lord Stanley's memory. The cup is meant to be awarded annually to the best team in the Dominion. It says nothing of the NHL. If the NHL is too busy with yet another pissing contest, the cup should be awarded to the best team in the Dominion that IS playing.

so they award it with the Memorial Cup???
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Tiger » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:53 pm

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Per wrote:Either way, if the NHL leadership decides to forfeit another season, the trustees must put their foot down and stop them from desecrating Lord Stanley's memory. The cup is meant to be awarded annually to the best team in the Dominion. It says nothing of the NHL. If the NHL is too busy with yet another pissing contest, the cup should be awarded to the best team in the Dominion that IS playing.

hmmm BEst team in the Dominion??? .. there is no Dominion... but if the SC was awarded to the best team in Canada. Maybe the KHL could come over for a couple games?? Or maybe a playoff between KHL and AHL?? :)
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ukcanuck » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:45 pm

the Dogsalmon wrote:

That would be kinda cool in a depressing as hell way... But I have renewed hope, the make whole provision adjustments that bettman moved toward yesterday makes me think that maybe there is a deal to be made before the whole season is gassed. Call me crazy (what the hell I'm sure you've called me worse already) but It seems to me that as the clock ticks toward the real pressure point where the season dies, the better bettman's offers become. I guess if I'm Fehr I would expect that the day before that would be the deal to start negotiating with...
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby the Dogsalmon » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Tiger wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:

hmmm BEst team in the Dominion??? .. there is no Dominion... but if the SC was awarded to the best team in Canada. Maybe the KHL could come over for a couple games?? Or maybe a playoff between KHL and AHL?? :)

in 1867 the Dominion of Canada was formed with 4 provinces...i think...i am a little stoned at the moment so i may have fucked it all up...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat