There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: There will be a strike

Post by ukcanuck »

coco_canuck wrote:
It'd be nice if I didn't have to hold your hand through your own pseudo-intellectual arguments.

First you were arguing a difference in kind, and now you've capitulated to a difference in degree position that's on just as shaky ground.
and then you proceed to bury me in pseudo-intellectual language...
You fail to recognize that your statement that " the opportunity and path to pro sports is open to anyone regardless of class or stature" comes with a necessary condition that you minimize, and that' the endowed genetic/athletic ability that would allow, in a theoretical vacum, anyone in any class or stature to make it to pro sports. By definition, that becomes an exclusive club that is only open to those that fit that necessary condition.
Could you split a hair any finer? Your missing the forest for the trees, the argument for anyone who hasn't fallen asleep yet is that the players should be as entitled to their split of the cash cow as the owners because the work and the effort and the and the luck and the genetic ability and the kitchen sink it takes to get there is as at least as valid an entitlement as the owning of a franchise.
What you also fail to specify is that all sports are not readily open to anyone in any class or stature since some sports are costly to participate in, i.e. hockey, golf, many olympic level sports etc.

So, the only way your exhaustive and general statement holds true is if all sports are created equal, and are open to anyone in any class or stature.
omg should I have pointed out that being born and growing up in a landlocked African dictatorship would probably exclude one from any chance at being an NHL superstar too?
What you also take for granted is the ability to move into big business without having much stature nor being part of an affluent social class. If an individual is endowed with great intelligence and an innovative mind, that person can conquer big business without being born into affluence.
I'm not taking that for granted, I concede that there has been the odd "Mozart" or genius case and a few shit-house luck got rich success stories out there but for the most part what I am saying that is so rare its hardly worth mentioning...
Your arguments really are terrible and inconsistent. You bend your argument to appease the situation, but you still fail to realize that your entire form of argumentation has been fatally flawed throughout this discussion.
Maybe, but they are arguments while what you seem to be doing is cherry pick to suit yourself, and bury people in esoteric language preloaded with condescension and derision.

which is a shame because for the most part your arguments would be more entertaining and enlightening without the backhandedness.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: Maybe, but they are arguments while what you seem to be doing is cherry pick to suit yourself, and bury people in esoteric language preloaded with condescension and derision.
It's true. :lol:

Coco's posts are often loaded with big words that can be difficult for the average joe to understand.

You know, if his first language is Swahili. :mex:

Esoteric language..... :roll:
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

ukcanuck wrote: Could you split a hair any finer? Your missing the forest for the trees, the argument for anyone who hasn't fallen asleep yet is that the players should be as entitled to their split of the cash cow as the owners because the work and the effort and the and the luck and the genetic ability and the kitchen sink it takes to get there is as at least as valid an entitlement as the owning of a franchise.
That's all fine and dandy, and I have no issue with the players being entitled to their fair share, and I'm not arguing in favor of the owners, but I'm arguing against your ludicrous sociopolitical opinions of the owners.
ukcanuck wrote: I'm not taking that for granted, I concede that there has been the odd "Mozart" or genius case and a few shit-house luck got rich success stories out there but for the most part what I am saying that is so rare its hardly worth mentioning...
Again, you're wrong.

There are far more opportunities to make it big in business than making it big in sports.

The internet boom is another example.
ukcanuck wrote: Maybe, but they are arguments while what you seem to be doing is cherry pick to suit yourself, and bury people in esoteric language preloaded with condescension and derision.

which is a shame because for the most part your arguments would be more entertaining and enlightening without the backhandedness.
Again, don't complain and hide behind my sharp criticism.

Make better arguments.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Mëds wrote: It's true. :lol:

Coco's posts are often loaded with big words that can be difficult for the average joe to understand.

You know, if his first language is Swahili. :mex:

Esoteric language..... :roll:
:lol:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cardboardbox

I can use big words too.

UK reminds me of a blonde pubescent school girl with a genetic fear of three syllable words.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ukcanuck wrote: Would that argument include the fact that the path to the board room goes right through private high schools, prep schools and elite universities that are not open to the general public and require not only money but the right connections and leverage to attend? Because if that argument doesn't have an answer for that, then its not going to be very convincing.
Where do you come up with this crap....

As someone who did a business degree and looked closely at doing an MBA, I can tell you point blank that you are talking out your ass.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Cardboardbox
I'd love to square off against you in a game of Scrabble!

Now get back to your packing.....
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Would that argument include the fact that the path to the board room goes right through private high schools, prep schools and elite universities that are not open to the general public and require not only money but the right connections and leverage to attend? Because if that argument doesn't have an answer for that, then its not going to be very convincing.
Where do you come up with this crap....
oops sorry I guess I should qualify, by boardroom I mean the top board rooms, the ones where the upper crust richest businessmen who own multi billion dollar sports franchises for fun do whatever it is they do to play with people's lives...
As someone who did a business degree and looked closely at doing an MBA, I can tell you point blank that you are talking out your ass.
I think you threw that in my face before but it means nothing, public colleges and mickey mouse universities puke out thousands of MBA's every year most of which end up working for the man or posting in fan forum sites.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

ukcanuck wrote: I think you threw that in my face before but it means nothing, public colleges and mickey mouse universities puke out thousands of MBA's every year most of which end up working for the man or posting in fan forum sites.
What about you?

A devote follower of the man's hobby.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote:Cardboardbox

I can use big words too.

UK reminds me of a blonde pubescent school girl with a genetic fear of three syllable words.
Like pedophile?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Damn curiosity, I just HAD to check out this thread! :roll:

Predictably it went sideways and eventually went off a cliff.

All I can say is some of you have obviously NOT been singing along in the singalong thread....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ukcanuck wrote:
I think you threw that in my face before but it means nothing, public colleges and mickey mouse universities puke out thousands of MBA's every year most of which end up working for the man or posting in fan forum sites.
Back in the day you needed about a B+ average on your undergrad, 650 ish on the GMAT, and roughly 60k in financing to go to a top Canadian school.

It had almost nothing to do with who you know, where you went to high school, or how rich your family was or any of the other crap you talked about.

If you had above average grades, a very good GMAT score and a decent credit rating you could get an MBA from an internationally ranked school. I doubt it has changed much.

Where you grades ranked among your class mates typically determined what doors opened from there.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

coco_canuck wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: I think you threw that in my face before but it means nothing, public colleges and mickey mouse universities puke out thousands of MBA's every year most of which end up working for the man or posting in fan forum sites.
What about you?

A devote follower of the man's hobby.
sigh, I guess so...a good Christian would recognise his own hypocrisy its true, but I just don't know how to walk away. Without acceding to anything I do see the major flaw in complaining about the state of affairs in which one plays a part. being a part of the problem is part of the problem after all.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hey! I resent that! :mad:

The Gothenburg University Business School has no affiliation whatsoever with Walt Disney, I did not get puked out, I'm perfectly happy working for the government, and what if I enjoy posting at fan forum sites? :evil:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Per wrote:
Hey! I resent that! :mad:

The Gothenburg University Business School has no affiliation whatsoever with Walt Disney, I did not get puked out, I'm perfectly happy working for the government, and what if I enjoy posting at fan forum sites? :evil:
lol well I guess if the glass slipper Doesn't fit then don't try to wear it?