There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: There will be a strike

Postby ukcanuck » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:30 am

I can't be the only one who doesn't attach a price tag to right and wrong.
The players and owners are archetypal of the same old struggle. It doesn't matter if its for millions or a dollar ninety five .

And sorry but I have way more faith in the appeal of hockey, in the long run it will be just fine thank you.
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2364
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:42 am

ukcanuck wrote:I can't be the only one who doesn't attach a price tag to right and wrong.
The players and owners are archetypal of the same old struggle. It doesn't matter if its for millions or a dollar ninety five .

And sorry but I have way more faith in the appeal of hockey, in the long run it will be just fine thank you.

I am sick of which millionaire group will get more of a 3.something billion dollar pie...I just want them to drop the damn puck.
They're all incomprehensibly rich and I feel sorry for nobody here except myself! (and maybe the average Joe missing his minimum wage paycheques working parking and concessions...I notice they don't get a voice in all this)
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Potatoe1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:21 pm

ukcanuck wrote:
The players and owners are archetypal of the same old struggle.


No they aren`t...

The `same old struggle` was between wealthy owners and employees struggling to eek out a decent living.

The current struggle is between wealthy owners and a group of players who are quite literally living the dream and then some.

I`m sorry but what type of Ferarri Derek Roy can buy just doesn't fall into the same category as Miners fighting for living wages and safer working conditions.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby tantalum » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Dupont on twitter last night:

Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD
October, November tout fini. NHLPA mutineers no doubt high-fiving each other now. Nice. Plan.

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis
There's a *small* difference between collective bargaining and mutiny. RT @GlobeKPD NHLPA mutineers no doubt high-fiving each other now.

45m Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD
@JonathanWillis Mutiny was 3 years ago, when co-conspirators were tooled 'n' fooled.

44m Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis
.@GlobeKPD Ahhh, gotcha. The wonder years of Saskin, Kelly and then Penny.

40m Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD
@JonathanWillis And don't forget Lindros' keen advice. He's big help now. Blind mice.

35m Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis
@GlobeKPD I think Buzz Hargrove was my favourite example of disastrous hiring by the PA over that particular time period.

------------

Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD
With payroll of approx $1.6 billion, NHLers now stand to lose approx $400 million thus far. No 'make hole' to be had.

24m John Hounsell ‏@JohnHounsell
@GlobeKPD any similar estimate on owners loss?

21m Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD
@JohnHounsell Owners always get it back. Player career is finite. Ownership is in perpetuity.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: There will be a strike

Postby ukcanuck » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
The players and owners are archetypal of the same old struggle.


No they aren`t...

The `same old struggle` was between wealthy owners and employees struggling to eek out a decent living.

The current struggle is between wealthy owners and a group of players who are quite literally living the dream and then some.

I`m sorry but what type of Ferarri Derek Roy can buy just doesn't fall into the same category as Miners fighting for living wages and safer working conditions.

There in lies the heart of our debate Pots, I see it that way and you don't. I don't care about what they make or how luxurious their lifestyle, thats their life path, I have my own, but I do care about monopolists masquerading as capitalists. It bothers me that money has it own justification and hard work has none. The idea that the players should just shut and play and be happy that they aren't wallmart greeters is just so fucking depressing.
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2364
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Potatoe1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:25 pm

ukcanuck wrote:but I do care about monopolists masquerading as capitalists.


Yes and some around here care about players getting millions to play a fun game while they bust their hump for 50k a year.

It`s the same crap on a different pile.


It bothers me that money has it own justification and hard work has none.


You understand that some rich people worked their asses off to get where they are, and some players got to where they are purely on genetics and good fortune.

It is no where near as black and white as you want it to be.


The idea that the players should just shut and play and be happy that they aren't wallmart greeters is just so fucking depressing.


You should take comfort in the fact that no one has even suggested something like that.

You must however understand that a lot of people really don't care if Derek Roy has to take a 12% pay cut and perhaps has to drive a Bentley and not a Ferrari.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:41 pm

ukcanuck wrote:
There in lies the heart of our debate Pots, I see it that way and you don't. I don't care about what they make or how luxurious their lifestyle, thats their life path, I have my own, but I do care about monopolists masquerading as capitalists. It bothers me that money has it own justification and hard work has none. The idea that the players should just shut and play and be happy that they aren't wallmart greeters is just so fucking depressing.


You must be a fucking troll to keep this up.

Fact is that after taxes our combined household income is about $6000.00 - $6500.00 and I can't afford to take a family of 4 to more than maybe one or two games a season. That is fucked up no matter how you slice it.

And btw my family used to have both season tickets and 20 game packs between 1977-1994, so it's not like we have never supported this team in the past. I played the game since I was 6 until just a few years ago so i am as Canadiana and NHL fan as it gets. Sure i don't cough up for season tickets anymore and don't get to many games but if folks like me are getting fed up I can only imgaine how many other fans couldn't give a shit about this lockout.

LOL I meant per month Pot. We do ok but we have also bought a rec property and toys.....our choice for sure but as a family that will be debt free in ten years we still can't afford to watch the NHL live on a regular basis.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3065
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Potatoe1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:20 pm

.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Meds » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:
Meds wrote:
Apart from Luongo's contract, what was so terrible for the Canucks and not other teams?


How about the cap dropping,, for starters,,


There are 13 teams in the league that have payrolls at $63M or above. 6 of them (including the Canucks) are at $65M or above.

The Canucks are 3rd highest, but they aren't alone in this situation.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3208
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Potatoe1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Meds wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
Meds wrote:
Apart from Luongo's contract, what was so terrible for the Canucks and not other teams?


How about the cap dropping,, for starters,,


There are 13 teams in the league that have payrolls at $63M or above. 6 of them (including the Canucks) are at $65M or above.

The Canucks are 3rd highest, but they aren't alone in this situation.


So uhhh, we aren`t the most screwed of 30 teams,,,,,,, great.....
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Tiger » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:10 am

UK canuck said:
The idea that the players should just shut and play and be happy that they aren't wallmart greeters is just so fucking depressing.


hmmm don't think Walmart would want Lucic as a greeter .. :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
User avatar
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby ukcanuck » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:00 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
There in lies the heart of our debate Pots, I see it that way and you don't. I don't care about what they make or how luxurious their lifestyle, thats their life path, I have my own, but I do care about monopolists masquerading as capitalists. It bothers me that money has it own justification and hard work has none. The idea that the players should just up shut and play and be happy that they aren't wallmart greeters is just so fucking depressing.


You must be a fucking troll to keep this up.

Fact is that after taxes our combined household income is about $6000.00 - $6500.00 and I can't afford to take a family of 4 to more than maybe one or two games a season. That is fucked up no matter how you slice it.

And btw my family used to have both season tickets and 20 game packs between 1977-1994, so it's not like we have never supported this team in the past. I played the game since I was 6 until just a few years ago so i am as Canadiana and NHL fan as it gets. Sure i don't cough up for season tickets anymore and don't get to many games but if folks like me are getting fed up I can only imgaine how many other fans couldn't give a shit about this lockout.

LOL I meant per month Pot. We do ok but we have also bought a rec property and toys.....our choice for sure but as a family that will be debt free in ten years we still can't afford to watch the NHL live on a regular basis.



Settle down there Blob, no need to get nasty. Its only an opinion, last time I checked this is a thread about the lockout misnamed as it is, which is something that shouldn't be overlooked BTW.

As for your BTW, WTF? where do you get the impression I've denigrated you or your family history as avid hockey fans?

I'm not sure what the point of your statement is? you cant afford to go to games, I cant afford to go to games either, you watch on TV, I watch on TV when I can or live stream in the middle of the night and go two weeks without sleep making excuses at work because the Canucks are in the Finals (what the fuck is a canuck? and Hockey in winter, how do they keep the grass green?)

Is your point that you are an average good fan that cant afford to go to live games and you blame both sides in this dispute because they should just be happy raking in the coin and keep going like nothing is wrong?
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2364
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: There will be a strike

Postby ukcanuck » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:02 am

Tiger wrote:UK canuck said:
The idea that the players should just shut and play and be happy that they aren't wallmart greeters is just so fucking depressing.


hmmm don't think Walmart would want Lucic as a greeter .. :)

There is a sight I'd love to see, Lucic cross checking granny cause her head was down as she walked in...
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2364
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Tiger » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:36 am

UK Canuck said:
I'm not sure what the point of your statement is? you cant afford to go to games, I cant afford to go to games either, you watch on TV, I watch on TV when I can or live stream in the middle of the night and go two weeks without sleep making excuses at work because the Canucks are in the Finals (what the fuck is a canuck? and Hockey in winter, how do they keep the grass green?)


The whole point is simple.. With hockey players salaries escalating over the last 10 years and other costs escalating the owners have to charge an arm and a leg to the fans.. The latest showdown .. Lockout/Strike is either going to control costs and maybe make hockey viable in the fringe markets and markets like New Jersey which has been hit hard by the world wide recession.. I can no longer afford to go to as many games as I used to go to.. Higher ticket prices have made going to watch a game a luxury for the well to do.. I would love to see costs ( yep players salaries are the main ones ) go down just for the very selfish reason I love to watch hockey live..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
User avatar
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:54 am

ukcanuck wrote:


Settle down there Blob, no need to get nasty. Its only an opinion, last time I checked this is a thread about the lockout misnamed as it is, which is something that shouldn't be overlooked BTW.

As for your BTW, WTF? where do you get the impression I've denigrated you or your family history as avid hockey fans?

I'm not sure what the point of your statement is? you cant afford to go to games, I cant afford to go to games either, you watch on TV, I watch on TV when I can or live stream in the middle of the night and go two weeks without sleep making excuses at work because the Canucks are in the Finals (what the fuck is a canuck? and Hockey in winter, how do they keep the grass green?)

Is your point that you are an average good fan that cant afford to go to live games and you blame both sides in this dispute because they should just be happy raking in the coin and keep going like nothing is wrong?


Dude i am settled down and sorry if you feel I was getting nasty . :lol: My point was that a family with an above average take home income of 6K + per month should be able to attend a fucking hockey game more than once or twice a season. If I want to bring the family to go see the Canucks play and sit in decent seats, I am looking at $500- $600 after parking, gas, couple burgers, snacks, beers, hotdog etc. That is ridonkulous to say the least. For that money i could drive to my cabin for a long weekend and my gas would be paid for both ways, all my food and booze, gas for the quads and the boat and probably buy a bag of weed too. Something is wrong with this picture.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3065
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cornuck, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], rats19 and 2 guests

cron