There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: There will be a strike

Post by Topper »

They could earn their dollars based on fantasy league points, after all, that is the only thing fans care about.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: From the players perspective, they are prepared to sit until Jan and miss half a season if it comes to that. But if it goes that far they want to see the NHL lose the Winter Classic.
This is why the owners will never give up linkage, and Fehr desperately want's it gone.

The Winter Classic is massive revenue both short term and long. With a fixed cap harming over all revenue gives the players leverage, with a linked cap they are shooting their own foot as missing the Winter classic might hurt the players more then the owners.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The league will withdraw their proposal on Friday.

Contraction? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le4650526/

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:The league will withdraw their proposal on Friday.

Contraction? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le4650526/
Why am I reminded of the looney toon gag, "This line and no further!"..."Ok THIS line and no further!"..." Ok THIS line and NO further!"

Still wish Bettman an his expansion teams would just fuck off and leave hockey to places where it actually snows once In a while...
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yeah, like fuk'n LA.

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:Yeah, like fuk'n LA.

:P
Exactly
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

One wonders if there were hockey people heavily involved in these negotiations on both sides, where we might be with this mess right now. Bettman and Fehr could care less about the game and each of them has about as much of a hockey background as Mary Tyler Moore . I wonder if you had a Bobby Orr type on one side and a John Davidson type on the other if this would be such a shitshow. Yes it's a pipe dream and these two douchebags are doing what they are asked to do, but the sad truth of the matter is that neither of them actually care about anything except money. The sport itself is of little concern to both of these pencilnecks.

The game of bullshit poker can only last so long. People were angry and upset in 04...... I would be willing to bet that a good chunk of those people don't really care anymore and that should be the real fear for the league and the players. The North American economy is in the toilet not to mention the global economy....people are losing jobs left and right, losing bonuses, ot, contracts etc. NHL and NHLPA is picking the wrong time for a dick measuring contest.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

This past year I was really hoping for hoops and pigskin to strike/lockout in hopes that the 'Mercans would look to hockey and significantly grow the pie. I didn't hope this just because I hate those sports anyway but because I thought that was the only hope for a full 82 this season. When the PA signed Fehr (auto correct just changed his name to feud) this lockout was written in the stars. Now sadly hockey is stopped again and my hopes have turned to dust, just like our players who are in the prime of their careers.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: The game of bullshit poker can only last so long. People were angry and upset in 04...... I would be willing to bet that a good chunk of those people don't really care anymore and that should be the real fear for the league and the players. The North American economy is in the toilet not to mention the global economy....people are losing jobs left and right, losing bonuses, ot, contracts etc. NHL and NHLPA is picking the wrong time for a dick measuring contest.
And the final deal will end up not far off the one just pulled by the owners.

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Less than a day after withdrawing their latest CBA proposal to the NHL Players' Association, the NHL is set to announce the cancellation of November's remaining games. The league cancelled games from Oct. 25 through Nov. 1 last week and Friday's announcement will scratch a total of 326 games from the 2012-13 season.

How to win friends and manage a lower middle class sports league.

I travel to several sports sites to get my daily fix.

As evidence to the popularity of the league down south, which I can only presume is growing in leaps and bounds while the lockout carries on, the following are links listed, in the order selected by the power brokers themselves, at the top of the page of one if the sites I peruse daily:

NFL MLB NASCAR NBA NCAA FB NCAA BK GOLF SOCCER UFC

Yeah, I don't see it either.......
DeLevering since 1999.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Not surprised the canceled all of November...

I am however surprised they are talking about canceling the winter classic so soon.

I guess the plan there is to preempt a perceived leverage point for the players.

The owners really do seem to be going for the jugular here, kind of unfortunate given the owners most recent offer was rather terrible for a team like the Canucks.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

donlever wrote:Less than a day after withdrawing their latest CBA proposal to the NHL Players' Association, the NHL is set to announce the cancellation of November's remaining games. The league cancelled games from Oct. 25 through Nov. 1 last week and Friday's announcement will scratch a total of 326 games from the 2012-13 season.

As evidence to the popularity of the league down south, which I can only presume is growing in leaps and bounds while the lockout carries on, the following are links listed, in the order selected by the power brokers themselves, at the top of the page of one if the sites I peruse daily:

didnt look far enough

Lawn bowling,Horseshoes, darts, trap shooting, mud racing, wrestling, boxing, marbles, dominoes,frizbee golf, NHL,..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

rats19 wrote:
donlever wrote:Less than a day after withdrawing their latest CBA proposal to the NHL Players' Association, the NHL is set to announce the cancellation of November's remaining games. The league cancelled games from Oct. 25 through Nov. 1 last week and Friday's announcement will scratch a total of 326 games from the 2012-13 season.

didnt look far enough

Lawn bowling,Horseshoes, darts, trap shooting, mud racing, wrestling, boxing, marbles, dominoes,frizbee golf, NHL,..
Hey let's not knock marbles, it's a noble game and has its own world championship here at the Greyhound Pub, at Tinsley Green in Crawley West Sussex. The tournament has been held at the pub since 1936, but it dates back to the 1500s...

But besides that, why do we give a damn where some Americans think hockey ranks in popularity? Isn't that why we are in this boat in the first place? For the last 25 years all we've heard is how we have to change the game for the US market, take out fighting, bring in the laser pick, the shoot out , take away tie games, rename the conferences and divisions, change the names of trophies, and put franchises in retarded places all in the name of attracting fans who just don't give a shit?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ukcanuck wrote:But besides that, why do we give a damn where some Americans think hockey ranks in popularity?
I suppose because that is a market where over 80% of the league resides and selling your product is integral to long term success thus not even having the NHL show up as a top link (behind soccer of all things which Americans despise in general) on a major sports web site where the majority of your league (and your head office) exists is likely a bad sign.

You know this already though so why you posed the question is confusing.
DeLevering since 1999.