My Truck...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: My Truck...

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:On a truck forum I follow, someone asked about used full size. The general consensus was the new eco boot Ford F150, though it was out of the price range of the guy who was seeking advice.

All seemed very impressed with that new engine - oh yeah, it is a Toyota forum, so there was lots of blind Tundra support.
I know you drive a Tacoma (or used to), have you driven a Tundra?

I've only read the reviews never heard a first hand opinion......
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote: The price bumped? $40K is about what I saw, I'd have to go in and look at the dealership myself, but I've building and pricing online and the Eco-Boost option was only a $1250 increase. Not too bad all things considered. But I'm looking at a daily driver half-ton, not a work truck.
The sales person I was talking too couldn't get the eco-boost in the package I was looking at. Had to take a bunch of extra stuff that I didn't really need which pushed the sticker from about 30 to 40.
Ford and Chev priced themselves right out of the picture once it came time to adding some of the options I wanted and then seeing that I'll get 0% or 0.9% from Nissan. Dodge is offerring 4% but on a shorter term and, as I said, $10K less.
What options do you want ?

BTW, the loaded up Titian crew cab is a great deal right now "IF" you pay cash (14K off). If you are financing it's not great.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Spud, that is horseshit on the salesman's part. They have an engine that is getting good reveiws and the dealers are loading their lots with option loaded varieties. Fuck'em.

Build and price your own unit, bare bones (maybe spring for an AM radio for the wetbacks), 2wd, white.

Last I looked, the Titan required premium.

Remember that depreciation on a new vehicle will cost you far more than any 2-4 cents/litre on fuel ever will.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote: Build and price your own unit, bare bones (maybe spring for an AM radio for the wetbacks), 2wd, white.
They cant hear the raido sitting in the bed anyway.

That reminds me, I need a long box.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Topper wrote: Build and price your own unit, bare bones (maybe spring for an AM radio for the wetbacks), 2wd, white.
They cant hear the raido sitting in the bed anyway.

That reminds me, I need a long box.
:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:Spud, that is horseshit on the salesman's part. They have an engine that is getting good reveiws and the dealers are loading their lots with option loaded varieties. Fuck'em.

Build and price your own unit, bare bones (maybe spring for an AM radio for the wetbacks), 2wd, white.

Last I looked, the Titan required premium.

Remember that depreciation on a new vehicle will cost you far more than any 2-4 cents/litre on fuel ever will.
Did a check on that. 87 is fine.

When I bought my car in 2004 Premium was recommended by Nissan for damned near all their vehicles. They list 87 octane as a minimum requirement, but they put the big letters about premium being what you will get the best performance with.

Completely agree about vehicle depreciation. Striking the new Titan today. Saw the blackbook price on my car and realized I wouldn't come close to getting that on a trade-in and can't do it. Found a good deal on a 2011 Titan though, it's a bit further away but the price is $15K less and it's got LOW kilometers. Just waiting to get a vehicle history report on it to make sure it isn't a crash and walk away job that the dealership fixed up and I'll be driving away with a Lemon.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Bought the Titan. Crazy good deal.

2012 Pro 4X. $36800.

Love it.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Nice, take some pix medz!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Mëds wrote:Bought the Titan. Crazy good deal.

2012 Pro 4X. $36800.

Love it.

Holy snap.

And I thought I was doing fancy shopping for an '04 Dakota Quad cab 4X4 @ $8500.

Speaking of which. Limited budget....$10K including my beloved 2001 Ranger Edge stepside (96Ks)

Any thoughts on the older style quad cab dakotas? (2001-2003)

Wish I could afford a Taco, cant afford a V8, need a quad cab run about, wifely blew the load on a caravan. I know.... :devil: :devil:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Fackin big ass branch broke off a tree in my yard during a wind storm a week or so ago.....came right down on the truck.

Only hit the driver's mirror, didn't mark the housing or mirror arms, but took the glass and backing off. Looked harmless, but no, a tiny plastic clip snapped off the back of the glass mount. That will be $136.00 to replace the glass with mounting clip. I can buy the ENTIRE mirror assembly online from the US for $150.....complete with electrical hook ups for defrost, auto adjust, driver memory.

I'm actually just relieved it didn't land on the hood or something. It was a big branch.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Mëds wrote: I'm actually just relieved it didn't land on the hood or something. It was a big branch.
Am I the only one that is reading more into this than I need too? haha

who has a new gen dakota? Got a bead on an 06 dakota quad cab, V6, 130K, no canopy - $9900. Probably rally about $3K for my beloved RanGer.

Thoughts?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

CFP! wrote:
Mëds wrote: I'm actually just relieved it didn't land on the hood or something. It was a big branch.
Am I the only one that is reading more into this than I need too? haha

who has a new gen dakota? Got a bead on an 06 dakota quad cab, V6, 130K, no canopy - $9900. Probably rally about $3K for my beloved RanGer.

Thoughts?
I had an 05 Dakota v6 when they first came out and I wouldn't recommend it. It really needed the 8 cyl (you'll see on the 'Hat!). If you don't really care it's a comfortable truck and 10k doesn't break the bank like something newer.
The economy on mine was brutal at around 12-13 L/100k. My GMC 3500 lonbox crewcab diesel was cruising at 15-16 and that truck was a tank. The Dakota box was tiny, the plastics were cheaply made and the cab felt like an extracab even though it was a crew.
I see this was a month ago you asked so I'm probably wasting my time but beware any potential future Dakota buyers.
If you need air...call it in
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
I see this was a month ago you asked so I'm probably wasting my time but beware any potential future Dakota buyers.
Really? thats shitty. Well, budget is tight and were looking for a quad cab truck, not an avalanche - but a truck. :crazy:

If the Newer dakotas aren't worth it, I guess I gotta bite the bullet with a V8 fullsize. Dont have Toppers/APs cash for a Taco. :wink:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

CFP, I had the problem you are having when I bought my truck. I wanted a four door so I could carry extra passengers when I need to but I also wanted something nimble off road. I did not want a full size because it would end up being beat to death as a core hauler for work.

The Canyon and Dakota were both junk in my opinion, the Tacoma was too pricey, and the Frontier was an unknown with a limited dealer network.

I looked at the F150 and was tempted until I took a drive up the Bunsters (above Okeover Sound) and my friend's F150 bottomed out continuously.

That is why I spent the extra on the Tacoma.

I had a FX4 Level II Ranger prior to the Tacoma, it was a decent serviceable truck for me but it was starting to nickel and dime me and wanted a bigger cab.

I'd look for an '04 or earlier Tacoma double cab if I were you. They are better built than the '05+ current model.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Off the present topic, but for those who live near the 49th parallel something to consider. I had my brakes on my F250 Super Duty done at Les Schwab Tires in Idaho about 11 months ago. A couple of weeks ago the right front brake started to drag because of a misfunctioning caliper. I called to the shop and they said bring it down we will fix it for you. New caliper, pads, rotor and wheel bearing at no charge. No labour charge, nothing zilch, nada. Covered for 3 years. :D
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "