Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Hockey Widow »

For what its worth, as of last night, Luongo has not been asked to waive his NTC. Which means that even before the end of the CBA a deal could not have been worked out with the leaves. Now it may be that the teams have the pieces in place and are ready to try and consummate a deal once the new CBA is done but as of yet there is no deal in principle and there can't be since Luongo has yet to be asked to waive.

Obviously I cannot say one way or the other whether the two teams have a deal they like and MG will present to Luongo once the CBA is done but to say a deal is done is false. Luongo has the final say. And he firmly prefers to stay in Florida. If a deal with Florida was presented he would accept without hesitation. Any other destination he wants to see what the team looks like before he commits. From what I have been told he has NOT said anything negative about any destination so I don't rule out any team at this point. Just reiterating he has not at any time been asked to waive.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Not a return I would be thrilled with but Bozak plugs a whole and Kardi still has very good upside despite the recent bad press.
Not surprised ya feel this way Pot, you were this optimistic for Jeff Tambellini. Anyhow, Kadri does not fit this team, he lacks brains, AV does not like this type of player. He's not big, he's not special on the skill side of things when it comes to the 'NHL' level. Kadri is going to be one of those career minor league stars whose game does not translate to NHL calibre. I wouldn't even waste my time. I have no problem betting what little I have socked away on Kadri not having a very successful NHL career. As for Bozak, just don't like him.

When you are trading a core franchise type goalie in Luongo who has AT LEAST 5 years of good hockey in him still, getting scrubs and meh in return does this organization no good at all. I'd much rather keep Luongo if it's the likes of Kadri, Bozak and Colbourne that Burke is only offering.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote:
Yeah, I am overstating the fact that Kadri a plug. But for every Kassian, who might get his shit together with respect to fitness, there is an O'Brien or Wellwood out there.

I just don't see the need for another small forward that doesn't really hit.
This
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Kadri reminds me of Grabner and making him the centre piece of a Luongo trade isn't what I hope we get back.
and this
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I guess it's case of what the market will bear, but when it comes to a trade there's another GM on the other end of the telephone. I can't imagine BB giving up Gardner.. would you if you're leaves GM. Plus I think the average age of the Canucks defense means they're going to be a round for at least another 5 years and they have some bright prospects coming alond Tanev, Connauton, and maybe McNally and certainly Corrado. On the other hand our centres are Henrik and Kesler one is getting on in years and the other is breaking down.To me it's Kadri/Colbourne assuming it is the leaves Luongo is heading for. We don't have a ligitamate skilled centre in the pipe. Schroeder or Labate are the most likely

We'll get a better look at Schroeder tonight
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:I guess it's case of what the market will bear, but when it comes to a trade there's another GM on the other end of the telephone. I can't imagine BB giving up Gardner.. would you if you're leaves GM. Plus I think the average age of the Canucks defense means they're going to be a round for at least another 5 years and they have some bright prospects coming alond Tanev, Connauton, and maybe McNally and certainly Corrado. On the other hand our centres are Henrik and Kesler one is getting on in years and the other is breaking down.To me it's Kadri/Colbourne assuming it is the leaves Luongo is heading for. We don't have a ligitamate skilled centre in the pipe. Schroeder or Labate are the most likely

We'll get a better look at Schroeder tonight
Geez Fred if you would bankroll on the likes of Kadri and Colbourne as your replacements for Kesler and Sedin down the line then you my man have really lost it. Why are you dumbing down your expectations on what this team deserves in return for Luongo. I'm totally on board with Gillis in that they won't give him away, and getting the likes of Kadri and Colbourne in return for Luongo is giving Luongo away.

As for saying that we are somehow deep and young on defense, is horse shite. Edler and Garrison both have nagging long term injuries that may never go away. Garrison has come out and said that he has been battling a soft tissue sports hernia since as far as he can remember. Edler's back problems may be terminal.

The leaves are trying to do the same thing they did to get Phaneuf and Aulie out of Calgary by offering up a big package of middling type players as if Gillis will be wow'd the amount coming his way like Calgary was. It's Quality not Quantity my friend, that is unless you desire a team full of average players like in Calgary. Knowing Gillis though, I would not be surprised if he got sucked into such a deal cause he seems to be making the same mistakes as Calgary have been making for the last 10 years to stay competitive and too build around Iginla.

GILLIS NEEDS TO GET A STAR POTENTIAL PLAYER IN RETURN FOR LUONGO. Kadri, Bozak, Colbourne are not those players people. Luongo is a star goalie. Giving him up for average players with average potential is a complete shit deal for this organization moving forward. I like that Gillis is building the future with 'size' and 'heart' in my mind. Gaunce, Kassian and Jensen all fit this bill, Kadri doesn't and Colbourne is a lightweight in a big body. If you like dumb players like Booth, then you may like Kadri. Just a tiny version of Booth.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mondi wrote:As for those defensive prospects...forget it. Brain Burke is not known for giving up big North American blue chip defensemen. Particularly for mentally fragile aging number one goalies.
He traded Bryan McCabe and he traded Adrian Aucoin for Dan Cloutier.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Potatoe1 wrote: Not a lot of room on the blue line tbh.

That isnt to say I wouldnt love a quality young blue liner like Gardner, but I don't think it's any type of particular need that would require Gillis to reject forward prospects in a Luongo deal.
But Gardiner needn't be in the top 4 on this team. He can be the team's #5 for at least a couple more years and get PP time. For all of Gardiner's talents and fine rookie season, he did at times play like a rookie and would do fine with more seasoning and playing behind some good experienced defenders. By the time Gardiner really comes into his own, the team will need to look to the future and be looking to replace guys like Bieksa and Hamhuis.

Potatoe1 wrote: Coulbourne is a legit bottom 6 prospect who could perhaps move up in case of injury
I think it's quite the opposite. Colborne is a legit top 6 prospect who has the size to play a bottom 6 role and it's not semantics :roll: because defense and physical play has been Colborne's biggest weaknesses, not to mention that Colborne is a relatively poor bodychecker for his size. Colborne is the type to either be a top 6 player or be a tweener (not good enough for the top 6 and not effective enough to make it as a 3rd liner).
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

The thing is, I'm not sure we can get a lot for Luongo, mainly because of his salary and his no trade clause. If we can get a couple of average prospects, I'd be happy. There really isn't much of a market for Luongo right now, so it's really hard to move him. GMs interested in him need to ask a few key questions:

1) Do we really need him?
2) Can we take on his salary?
3) Would he even be willing to come here?

There's only a handful teams that fit this bill, like toronto, florida, tampa and maybe a couple of others. It's really hard to get a bidding war when there's not a lot of teams interested in your player. That's why MG is holding on to Lou and hoping that when the new CBA is hammered out and teams start getting desperate when games are played, people would be more willing to pay a bigger price for Lou. The way I see it, anyone willing to take Loungo on would be doing us a favour, so I can't see a bluechip prospect coming back our way. If we're lucky, maybe a prospect and a 1st round draft pick.

RoyalDude wrote:GILLIS NEEDS TO GET A STAR POTENTIAL PLAYER IN RETURN FOR LUONGO. Kadri, Bozak, Colbourne are not those players people. Luongo is a star goalie. Giving him up for average players with average potential is a complete shit deal for this organization moving forward.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:The thing is, I'm not sure we can get a lot for Luongo, mainly because of his salary and his no trade clause. If we can get a couple of average prospects, I'd be happy. There really isn't much of a market for Luongo right now, so it's really hard to move him. GMs interested in him need to ask a few key questions:

1) Do we really need him?
2) Can we take on his salary?
3) Would he even be willing to come here?

There's only a handful teams that fit this bill, like toronto, florida, tampa and maybe a couple of others. It's really hard to get a bidding war when there's not a lot of teams interested in your player. That's why MG is holding on to Lou and hoping that when the new CBA is hammered out and teams start getting desperate when games are played, people would be more willing to pay a bigger price for Lou. The way I see it, anyone willing to take Loungo on would be doing us a favour, so I can't see a bluechip prospect coming back our way. If we're lucky, maybe a prospect and a 1st round draft pick.

RoyalDude wrote:GILLIS NEEDS TO GET A STAR POTENTIAL PLAYER IN RETURN FOR LUONGO. Kadri, Bozak, Colbourne are not those players people. Luongo is a star goalie. Giving him up for average players with average potential is a complete shit deal for this organization moving forward.
yeah well then we should keep him and have him as our back up until the trade deadline and see what he's worth then.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

RoyalDude wrote:[GILLIS NEEDS TO GET A STAR POTENTIAL PLAYER IN RETURN FOR LUONGO. Kadri, Bozak, Colbourne are not those players people. Luongo is a star goalie.
First off despite what ever you or I think of Luongo he has the rap that he falls apart in the big games. He's done that here and almost did it in the Olympics. Outside of Vcr most have little respect for Luongo. IF you want a STAR player then don't do any deal with TO because they don't have what could be described as a STAR player. The best you can do is take a potential player and develop him yourself...that's all TO has to offer.

I like Tanev and Corrado and from what I watched last night, Connauton looked a lot better than the Connauton of the past. McNally is continually getting great reports by people who know (unlike u and me LOL )... as does Labate I might mention. Guance a reputed two way player has the worse +/- on his Bellville team. Jensen seems to be a good propspect and Kassian may have turned the corner.

Any one see the Mallet fight last night...wow

Did any one notice Sauve ?
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:[GILLIS NEEDS TO GET A STAR POTENTIAL PLAYER IN RETURN FOR LUONGO. Kadri, Bozak, Colbourne are not those players people. Luongo is a star goalie.
First off despite what ever you or I think of Luongo he has the rap that he falls apart in the big games. He's done that here and almost did it in the Olympics. Outside of Vcr most have little respect for Luongo. IF you want a STAR player then don't do any deal with TO because they don't have what could be described as a STAR player. The best you can do is take a potential player and develop him yourself...that's all TO has to offer.

I like Tanev and Corrado and from what I watched last night, Connauton looked a lot better than the Connauton of the past. McNally is continually getting great reports by people who know (unlike u and me LOL )... as does Labate I might mention. Guance a reputed two way player has the worse +/- on his Bellville team. Jensen seems to be a good propspect and Kassian may have turned the corner.

Any one see the Mallet fight last night...wow

Did any one notice Sauve ?
Dude we are years away from getting a good idea of what kind of players Corrado and McNally will be at the pro level. Why even talk about them. Connauton did not impress me last night, as well as Tanev. After our top 4, our defense is as thin as a Hollywood Lolipop. Factor in these long term nagging injuries to Garrison and Edler I see a big fucking problem on Defense. We got way more 'quality' depth at youth in the forward department than we do on Defense, ie Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Mallete, Schroeder. The current Canuck starting line-up is the lesser concern of the two positions between defense and forward.

So, I guess then you don't mind doing what Calgary did in return for Phaneuf and Aulie. Get a bunch of middling, meh type players in return? Be wow'd by quantity rather than quality. Trust me dude, Kadri and Colbourne will not amount to a hill of beans for this organization. They are not AV type players, they are not Canuck type players and do not suit the make up of this team going forward. You are a salesmans dream come true Fred, if you would cave in to such a deal. It is in Gillis best interests to wait til the trade deadline to trade Luongo. His stock will be at it's highest at that time, teams positioning for the playoffs will have a better idea of what there goaltending situation is like, I betchya one of those teams will be Tampa, just got a feeling that Yzerman's Lindback experiment is gonna fail him. If Bryzgalov continues to shit the the bed, Bold move Holmgren may get get bold on Luongo. If it is crumbs teams are offering us right now, then I'm with Gillis, be patient and keep him til the deadline.

If Washington can get a very good potentially high lottery pick from Colorado for fucking Varlamov and Montreal can squeeze the impressive Eller for Halak out of St. Louis I do not see why we can't get star potential in return for Lou. Halak and Varlamov are nowhere near the calibre Lou is my friend.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

RoyalDude wrote:[
Dude we are years away from getting a good idea of what kind of players Corrado and McNally will be at the pro level. Why even talk about them. Connauton did not impress me last night, as well as Tanev. After our top 4, our defense is as thin as a Hollywood Lolipop. Factor in these long term nagging injuries to Garrison and Edler I see a big fucking problem on Defense. We got way more 'quality' depth at youth in the forward department than we do on Defense, ie Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Mallete, Schroeder. The current Canuck starting line-up is the lesser concern of the two positions between defense and forward.

So, I guess then you don't mind doing what Calgary did in return for Phaneuf and Aulie. Get a bunch of middling, meh type players in return? Be wow'd by quantity rather than quality. Trust me dude, Kadri and Colbourne will not amount to a hill of beans for this organization. They are not AV type players, they are not Canuck type players and do not suit the make up of this team going forward. You are a salesmans dream come true Fred, if you would cave in to such a deal. It is in Gillis best interests to wait til the trade deadline to trade Luongo. His stock will be at it's highest at that time, teams positioning for the playoffs will have a better idea of what there goaltending situation is like, I betchya one of those teams will be Tampa, just got a feeling that Yzerman's Lindback experiment is gonna fail him. If Bryzgalov continues to shit the the bed, Bold move Holmgren may get get bold on Luongo. If it is crumbs teams are offering us right now, then I'm with Gillis, be patient and keep him til the deadline.

If Washington can get a very good potentially high lottery pick from Colorado for fucking Varlamov and Montreal can squeeze the impressive Eller for Halak out of St. Louis I do not see why we can't get star potential in return for Lou. Halak and Varlamov are nowhere near the calibre Lou is my friend.

Corrado et al, hey any idiot can wait to see how a player turns out 10 years down the road and then heap praise on them....any idiot. The trick is to recognize the potential before they reach that stage such as Tanev & Burows. The catch is scouting players and picking them up before they reach that veteran status. If you're going to make a deal with TO which has been reported to have been concluded by a couple of reliable sources it's no good looking for the players you yearn for..... already made stars. A complete waste of time why....because TO has no star quality players period. A first round pick if Luongo goes to TO is not that attractive assuming Luo gets them into the play-offs, it'll be a mid to late round pick. If you're given Lemons make lemon juice don't waste you brain cels on dreams that aren't achievable.

Bryzgalov by the way who had a Sv % of 0.92 when he was with Phx and rated as a quality goalie was traded by Phoenix Coyotes traded Ilya Bryzgalov to the Philadelphia Flyers for Matt Clackson, a third-round draft pick in 2012 and a conditional draft pick. Which by the way was better than Luongo SV% with the 'Nucks ( playing for a better team )

I think Vcr fans way over rate the value of Luongo, he's a good golaie that crumbles in the big games...what are you going to get for that.... Presidents Trophy but no SC
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:
Corrado et al, hey any idiot can wait to see how a player turns out 10 years down the road and then heap praise on them....any idiot. The trick is to recognize the potential before they reach that stage such as Tanev & Burows. The catch is scouting players and picking them up before they reach that veteran status. If you're going to make a deal with TO which has been reported to have been concluded by a couple of reliable sources it's no good looking for the players you yearn for..... already made stars.
So just settle for crumbs like Kadri and Colbourne??? You throw a real hard bargain there Fred.

Trust me, Kadri's and Colbourne's potential, which it ain't much, is easier to guage than Corrado's and McNally's whose NHL potentials are a complete mystery at this juncture.

As for Connauton, Corrado and McNally, these 3 players do not give cred to the depth of our defense at the momment. Far from it.

The bottom line, no Gardiner, no 1st round pick - no deal with Toronto. I am of the belief that Gardiner is very achievable in a Lou trade. I'd be happy with him as the centre piece and a first round pick for the 2013 draft. Having two first round picks in the 2013 draft, a good one, gives us great opportunities to move up the draft.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uhh Fred, Luongo was just fine in the Olympics. Someone was wearing beer goggles throughout the tournament .

The trade between Philly and Phoenix for Bryzgalov has NO bearing on what the deal for Luongo might bring. Bryzgalov was a couple days away from being a UFA so obviously the return was going to be fuck all.

I'm with the dude here. Unless it's one of Gardiner or Rielly as the centrepiece Burke can fuck his hat.

Colborne is a big fucking marshmellow and plays like he's the size of Cliff Ronning. I would rather have Tyler Biggs.

Kadri has some talent but he is also a bit of a nutjob.......no thanks AV will chew him up and spit him out.

Toronto has a lot of fluff to offer up. Vancouver doesn't need more fluff.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”