Some Wolves highlights

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Some Wolves highlights

Post by Potatoe1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I wouldn't be devastated if he is a 35- 45 point 2nd/3rd line tweener who hits like a truck but I believe his ceiling could be a bit higher depending on how hard he wants to work.
As long as he's in that range, he's a huge asset.

Very often when talking about forwards the difference between 35 and 55 points is power play time and line mates.

As long as Zack can play in the top 9, compliment his line mates, and produce at an above average rate for the role he's in, he's a major asset given his size, toughness, and physicality.

As Gillis noted there are just so few guys with that upper end toughness who can also play a meaningful role for their team.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Oh, and he won his fight, and looks like at least an average fighter.
Uhh I would say he's a little better then average...

Most felt that if Zacks hockey skills didn't develop enough that he could carve out a nice career as a goon.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Wish I could recall some of the posts about Kesler back in the day when he and Burrows were a checking line force. Am I wrong in thinking that comments about Kassian and his potential are similar? It's difficult to say anything relevant having never seen the guy play but from what I've read I'm hoping for better than tweener.

On a side note I wonder if pisses off anyone in Abby that suddenly everyone is a Chicago fan ?
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Abootsford-centric highlights from Oct 20 game (doesn't include Kassian goal, but has Mallet fight)

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Kassian...The other thing that impressed me was his possession in the offensive zone - and not just along the boards, but handling the puck in open ice as well. I hate to say it, but he reminded me of Pyatt with this.

So, he looks almost adequate when paired with two all-star linemates? Pyatt looked good with the twins, but looked like a mangey dog without them. I am hoping for a lot more than that from Kassian. I am guessing you thought a lot more of Pyatt than I ever did.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

ukcanuck wrote:Wish I could recall some of the posts about Kesler back in the day when he and Burrows were a checking line force. Am I wrong in thinking that comments about Kassian and his potential are similar? It's difficult to say anything relevant having never seen the guy play but from what I've read I'm hoping for better than tweener.

On a side note I wonder if pisses off anyone in Abby that suddenly everyone is a Chicago fan ?
Watching Kassian last night, and he reminded me of a young Kesler, but his time in the Majors, he's been relegated to defensive 4th line time, linemates and style, so I was not so impressed. But, if he's on our 3rd line this/next season, I think we'll see a whole different player. He will also benefit big time from the lock out, as his game is going to get better, and he's gonna learn our system
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I always thought Pyatt had decent skillz for a big fella, but he always seemed to lack the intensity and grit. Kassian does seem to have that edge however, so hopefully he'll become a gritty version of Pyatt. :P

Tciso wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:Kassian...The other thing that impressed me was his possession in the offensive zone - and not just along the boards, but handling the puck in open ice as well. I hate to say it, but he reminded me of Pyatt with this.

So, he looks almost adequate when paired with two all-star linemates? Pyatt looked good with the twins, but looked like a mangey dog without them. I am hoping for a lot more than that from Kassian. I am guessing you thought a lot more of Pyatt than I ever did.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I think Kassian has the edge over Pyatt in the toughness department. Pyatt never liked initiating physical confrontations and had to try hard to use his size the way coaches wanted him to. It seems Kassian generally likes using his size and being the big, feared guy on the ice, but kind of got loss last year when he wasn't comfortable exerting himself.

I think what Kassian has displayed thus far is encouraging. I like how Arniel is encouraging Kassian to be that dominating power forward that we all want Kassian to be.
Potatoe1 wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:
Oh, and he won his fight, and looks like at least an average fighter.
Uhh I would say he's a little better then average...
:lol:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Tciso wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Wish I could recall some of the posts about Kesler back in the day when he and Burrows were a checking line force. Am I wrong in thinking that comments about Kassian and his potential are similar? It's difficult to say anything relevant having never seen the guy play but from what I've read I'm hoping for better than tweener.

Watching Kassian last night, and he reminded me of a young Kesler, but his time in the Majors, he's been relegated to defensive 4th line time, linemates and style, so I was not so impressed. But, if he's on our 3rd line this/next season, I think we'll see a whole different player. He will also benefit big time from the lock out, as his game is going to get better, and he's gonna learn our system
Kesler and Bieksa took full advantage of the last lockout. They received tons of ice time and played prominent roles with the Moose. Kesler scored 30g 27a and Bieksa score 12g 27a in the 04/05 season. Couple seasons later, they became the core of the Canucks. Hopefully, Kassian, Tanev and Connaughton could follow the same path.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Jovocop wrote:
Tciso wrote:

Kesler and Bieksa took full advantage of the last lockout. They received tons of ice time and played prominent roles with the Moose. Kesler scored 30g 27a and Bieksa score 12g 27a in the 04/05 season. Couple seasons later, they became the core of the Canucks. Hopefully, Kassian, Tanev and Connaughton could follow the same path.
And Schroeder too. If he was in the bigs right now, he'd be getting 10-12 minutes. I am assuming he's getting 16-20 right now. Although, he has only 1 assist so far this season in 5 games. Not exactly fighting for an NHL spot.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Tciso wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Tciso wrote: Watching Kassian last night, and he reminded me of a young Kesler, but his time in the Majors, he's been relegated to defensive 4th line time, linemates and style, so I was not so impressed. But, if he's on our 3rd line this/next season, I think we'll see a whole different player. He will also benefit big time from the lock out, as his game is going to get better, and he's gonna learn our system
And Schroeder too. If he was in the bigs right now, he'd be getting 10-12 minutes. I am assuming he's getting 16-20 right now. Although, he has only 1 assist so far this season in 5 games. Not exactly fighting for an NHL spot.
As for Schroeder, I am not too high on him. He does not have shots like St. Louis and creativity of Ronning. Schroeder is too small to win battles along the board. Hopefully, I am wrong but he reminds me of Brandon Reid. :hmmm:
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, I have my doubts about Schroder too. For a small guy, he needs to have a higher skill set and produce offensively, but he doesn't seem to have it like Cliffy and St. Louis. He does seem to have good wheels and some flash and dash, but that will not be enuff to get him into the NHL longer term. The Brandon Reid comparision is a good one.

Jovocop wrote:As for Schroeder, I am not too high on him. He does not have shots like St. Louis and creativity of Ronning. Schroeder is too small to win battles along the board. Hopefully, I am wrong but he reminds me of Brandon Reid. :hmmm:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Don't look now Gillis. Hodgson and Schultz are tied for 2nd overall in scoring in the AHL! :shock: :oops: :( :cry: :wow:

This Foligno kid on Buffalo is gonna be a beaut. Him and CoHo must be on the same line. You can see why Kassian was expendable.

I love how Bolduc is leading the AHL in scoring, wasn't he Canuck property at one point?

If Schultz turns into a raging superstar it will kill us. If Hodgson turns into a raging superstar, give Gillis his walking papers.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:Don't look now Gillis. Hodgson and Schultz are tied for 2nd overall in scoring in the AHL! :shock: :oops: :( :cry: :wow:

This Foligno kid on Buffalo is gonna be a beaut. Him and CoHo must be on the same line. You can see why Kassian was expendable.

I love how Bolduc is leading the AHL in scoring, wasn't he Canuck property at one point?

If Schultz turns into a raging superstar it will kill us. If Hodgson turns into a raging superstar, give Gillis his walking papers.
Didn't the leaves and Minnesota lead the NHL in the first couple of months last season? Didn't Jason King win the rookie of the month when he first played for the Canucks? Good for Hodgson, Schultz and Bolduc for leading the AHL scoring in the first month. However, one or two months do not make a career... Just imagine Kassian makes a big hit on CoHo or Schultz, you might think about your assessment again.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Theres a half decent Wolves stream I'm watching right now if anyone wants it...PM me
If you need air...call it in