Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gillis has to be asking for Gardiner, a 1st round pick and Ashton or Frattin. That's a fair deal. With the nagging, long term wounds to Garrison and Edler, a quality d-man is almost a must in a Luongo trade.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

RoyalDude wrote:Gillis has to be asking for Gardiner, a 1st round pick and Ashton or Frattin. That's a fair deal. With the nagging, long term wounds to Garrison and Edler, a quality d-man is almost a must in a Luongo trade.

Well I don't think that's going to happen.

If you get a good propspect to get bigger and younger and cheaper then that's whats coming back. Think about this most were in favour for the Bjugstad trade so it's going to be some thing along those lines. On the radio it was reported that TO fans think Luongo is worth a Tyler Bozak so just like the CBA there's considerable difference in thinking in what Luongo is worth.

Kadri has skill IMO he's mssing the brains and the tutoring to bring out the best. I'm betting how Schroeder looks in the next little while is going to impact on what they're looking for in the Luongo trade. MG was pretty keen on Schroeder at the end of last season, if he shows as well or better this season
cheers
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Fred wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Gillis has to be asking for Gardiner, a 1st round pick and Ashton or Frattin. That's a fair deal. With the nagging, long term wounds to Garrison and Edler, a quality d-man is almost a must in a Luongo trade.

Well I don't think that's going to happen.

If you get a good propspect to get bigger and younger and cheaper then that's whats coming back. Think about this most were in favour for the Bjugstad trade so it's going to be some thing along those lines. On the radio it was reported that TO fans think Luongo is worth a Tyler Bozak so just like the CBA there's considerable difference in thinking in what Luongo is worth.

Kadri has skill IMO he's mssing the brains and the tutoring to bring out the best. I'm betting how Schroeder looks in the next little while is going to impact on what they're looking for in the Luongo trade. MG was pretty keen on Schroeder at the end of last season, if he shows as well or better this season
Just thinking that the same tactic that's being used for the lockout would be helpful here with luongo. His value right now or at the beginning of the season is at its lowest, especially in TO, but as the season wears on and they realize that they don't have the goaltending and Burkes position weakens, we'll then it's going be a lot better offer. Listening to Luongo in September it sounds like he is okay with waiting as long as he's paid and get enough a starts to stay sharp. that takes the pressure off Gillis to make a bad deal and puts the screws to Burke or whoever?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

If Damien Cox is to be believed, the asking price for Luongo at the draft was Jake Gardiner, Tyler Bozak, Matt Frattin and a first round pick (not specified whether that would have been a future pick or the 5th overall pick that was used to select Morgan Rielly).

If that's true and Burke still wants to talk turkey I'd try to get Bozak and either Gardiner or Rielly, I might settle for Bozak and their 1st in 2013 plus a couple of their decent prospects (Colborne, Kadri, Frattin, etc).

A return including Bozak and Gardiner could be great for this franchise over the long term.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BB wants Luongo so bad he continues to let these rumours fly,as if to say were there is smoke there is fire. I guess he thinks MG will be bullied.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:BB wants Luongo so bad he continues to let these rumours fly,as if to say were there is smoke there is fire. I guess he thinks MG will be bullied.
The image of GMMG flashing Dreger in a chat room on the outer regions of web is too much to bear.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

dbr wrote:If Damien Cox is to be believed, the asking price for Luongo at the draft was Jake Gardiner, Tyler Bozak, Matt Frattin and a first round pick (not specified whether that would have been a future pick or the 5th overall pick that was used to select Morgan Rielly).

If that's true and Burke still wants to talk turkey I'd try to get Bozak and either Gardiner or Rielly, I might settle for Bozak and their 1st in 2013 plus a couple of their decent prospects (Colborne, Kadri, Frattin, etc).

A return including Bozak and Gardiner could be great for this franchise over the long term.

I've never been much of a Bozak fan, he's deffinitley a third line player in Vcr, he's in the last year of his contract and is a UFA after that. I can't imagine getting a prospect plus a pick, Colbourne was a 1st round pick as was Kadri and a 1st round pick will be around the 16 -22 range in the draft. That would amount to 3 first rounders ?

By the way Shannons comments

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lock ... ple_leaves/
However, I have been told that the next time Roberto Luongo plays in the NHL, he will play for the Toronto Maple leaves. It is from a reputable source. End of story.
cheers
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dbr wrote:If Damien Cox is to be believed, the asking price for Luongo at the draft was Jake Gardiner, Tyler Bozak, Matt Frattin and a first round pick (not specified whether that would have been a future pick or the 5th overall pick that was used to select Morgan Rielly).

If that is the case, then Gillis really is swinging for the fences...I see why it didn't get done.
I really like Morgan Reilly if we're cleaning out TO's cupboards. He has superstar offensive instincts, elite skills and a higher ceiling than Gardiner. Reilly and their first would be a more realistic return.
If you need air...call it in
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
I really like Morgan Reilly if we're cleaning out TO's cupboards. He has superstar offensive instincts, elite skills and a higher ceiling than Gardiner. Reilly and their first would be a more realistic return.
I dont think TO will give up Gardiner or Reilly, my guess is any trade with them brings back Bozak, Kadri, + another prospect and / or pick.

Not a return I would be thrilled with but Bozak plugs a whole and Kardi still has very good upside despite the recent bad press.

I actually think playing for the leaves has really hurt Kadri's value. He came in with so much hype and all of his miss steps make national headlines.

At the end of the day the Kid still has 91 points in 102 AHL games, plus 19 points in 50 NHL games. Those are actually very good numbers for a 2009 draft pick.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Potatoe1 wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
I dont think TO will give up Gardiner or Reilly, my guess is any trade with them brings back Bozak, Kadri, + another prospect and / or pick.

Not a return I would be thrilled with but Bozak plugs a whole and Kardi still has very good upside despite the recent bad press.

I actually think playing for the leaves has really hurt Kadri's value. He came in with so much hype and all of his miss steps make national headlines.

At the end of the day the Kid still has 91 points in 102 AHL games, plus 19 points in 50 NHL games. Those are actually very good numbers for a 2009 draft pick.
I don't think Gillis will trade with TO unless either one of those 2 defenceman are included. Our organization really needs a young blue chipper on the back end.
Kadri reminds me of Grabner and making him the centre piece of a Luongo trade isn't what I hope we get back.
If Bozak is indeed UFA after this season then this also is a concern with him coming this way otherwise I like his addition to our 3rd line.
So, Gardiner/Reilly, a recently signed Bozak and 2nd????
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Potatoe1 wrote:
I just had another look at Kadris' stats and might just change my opinion on him. He does have excellent AHL numbers and am now of the mind to think maybe getting him out of the TO toilet bowl could help. A good indication of his attitude about success is how he has been keeping himself in shape(or out of shape I suppose).
Would a trade to VCR and all unrealistic expectations removed help the guy? What if he came in knowing he wasn't expected to be a savior and probably would be spending his first year learning our system for the wolves? No Vancouver isn't exactly a hockey outpost but we are a top team complete with enough firepower where his performance really isn't required NOW, like it is in TO.
If all pressure was removed, maybe he could regain some confidence and get it all back. It's worth consideration definitely.

So, Reilly and Kadri then ?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
So, Reilly and Kadri then ?
I just don't see the leaves giving up Gardner or Reilly.

Those the the best 2 young players in the organization and the back bone of their blue line moving forward.

I also don't think they will give up next years first with out it being "protected".

So after looking at what they have I think a package I could live with is Kadri, Kulemin or Bozak, 1st (top 5 protected).
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I would really like to see the nux address the defensive prospect deficiencies before up front.
Is Burke going to roll over or do we shop elsewhere?
Washington has a pretty decent pair of young players that I would love to get...Dimitri Orlov and/or Filip Forsberg. Not to mention some decent depth guys with size to round out a possible deal. They also could use a goaltender and are in "win now" mode. There's the makings of a trade there if McPhee is willing...
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I would really like to see the nux address the defensive prospect deficiencies before up front.
If the Canucks sign Edler (which I'm assuming is a major priority) then they will have 4 quality defensemen under 29 locked up long term (they are 29, 29, 27, 26). They also have Ballard long term (though they should try and change that) and Tanev is 5 years from free agency.

Not a lot of room on the blue line tbh.

That isnt to say I wouldnt love a quality young blue liner like Gardner, but I don't think it's any type of particular need that would require Gillis to reject forward prospects in a Luongo deal.

In my mind our biggest need in terms of prospects is at center ice.

I'm not much of a Schroder fan as I dont think he is good enough offensively to play on the top 2 lines and who wants a smurf in their bottom6.

Coulbourne is a legit bottom 6 prospect who could perhaps move up in case of injury, and Kadri is a legit top6 prospect who could perhaps play on the 3rd line when everyone is healthy (though that is not ideal given his current defensive short comings).

As for defensive prospects the leaves might part with how about Jesse Blacker who is a righty that plays a good all round, 2-way game.

Kadri, Blacker, lottery protected 1'st.

Nothing to get all excited about but good value and a trade that would put us in position to make a move at the trading deadline given we would have a dirth of picks and prospects (not to mention cap space).
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mondi wrote: Kadri has been called, basically, a fat piece of shit by his AHL team. We don't want this guy, no more soft, small offensive players please.
The Canucks didn't come right out and say it but it's pretty obvious that Kassian was out of shape last season and made huge strides over the summer. Put the kids in the right environment and a lot can change.

As for Kadri he is neither a plug nor is he soft. The kid has high end skill and an edge to his game. His defensive game of course needs major work and there are obviously some attitude issues, but if there weren't holes he wouldn't be available.