Muzac For Munsters

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Hoss
CC Rookie

Re: Muzac For Munsters

Post by Hoss »

donlever wrote:Hey Hoss.

Went away for a few days of golf and debaauchery and uploaded a few old cd's to the iPod prior to departure.

Listened to Sandinista on the way there and the way back.

Been a long time since I listened to it (probably not even in this millenium).

Forgot how much I liked it.

Strummer and Jones.

Mint.
Nice to hear from ya Donny!

Had a similar moment a few weeks ago, played a few Clash songs on the ole Internets. I burned myself out pretty bad on the first three records - I think I was one of the biggest Clash geeks on the planet for about 5 years. I even had two Clash stickers on my car. What a knob. I never messed around with much after London Calling though - I have to confess I haven't heard Sandanista in its entirety. I should probably rectify that.

Interestingly, a friend of mine just had a baby boy and named him Strummer. Now there's a diehard for ya.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Saw the first two clash shows in vancouver, snuck into the Commode for the first, DOA (joey shithead has some not to pleasant things to say about the Clash and the evening in his book) and Ray Campi opened the second date at the Forum (that was one hell of a venue) about a year later. Back in the day I was fanatical.

Somewhere buried in Sandinista is a great single disk.
Last edited by Topper on Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Nice to see that a bunch of old punks are parked here these days. :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Speaking of Joey or shitheads, here he is with the coach and gm..... :lol:

Left: Rusco, Right: Me :mex:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Hoss
CC Rookie

Post by Hoss »

Love some D.O.A. I had Joe point me out at a show once because I was wearing a Black Flag shirt. I felt pretty cool.

Used to be an awesome website that had an oral history of the band on it... a bunch of interviews, hilarious stories. I think its long gone but I'm going to go check real quick...
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

I have this show: http://www.rockshowvideos.com/jamaicaclash.html if anyone is interested and it is from way better masters than what circulates today in pseudo commercial form. It's crystal clear and had proper mastering by some one who knows what they are doing.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hey BD, picked a pretty good little album. Young group from Jersey....Grizzly Bear -Shields. I know you like Band of Horses (they still have yet to strike chord with me but I do hear them now and again on Radio Paradise). I equate them more to The National and most see them as a young Radiohead.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Arachnid wrote:Grizzly Bear -Shields
Fitting you recommend them to the Anti-Booth.

:mrgreen:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arachnid wrote:Hey BD, picked a pretty good little album. Young group from Jersey....Grizzly Bear -Shields. I know you like Band of Horses (they still have yet to strike chord with me but I do hear them now and again on Radio Paradise). I equate them more to The National and most see them as a young Radiohead.
Yeah, I know 'of' Grizzly Bear but haven't really given them a fightin chance. Maybe cause what I had heard of them didn't work for me. I do know that they are big in the hipster world.

Gotta say, the new Band of Horses is a terrific downer, truly disappointed with it to be honest. Kinda sad, their first 3 albums are killer, but they couldn't quite go four for four.

Album of they year for me so far is JBM's 'Stray Ashes' (he is Canadian), with Calexico's 'Algiers' and Hiss Golden Messenger's 'Poor Moon' and Wooden Sky's 'Every Daughter... all battling out for number 2 on the year end list. After that, it's First Aid Kit, Beachwood Sparks, Neil Halstead. Digging the new Cat Power. Like Lambchops latest. Father John Misty's album is kool.

Come back album of the year is Bill Fay's new one, his first album in 40 years believe it or not.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

While hanging around the basement last week I found, behind a box of bleach and other cleaning supplies, an Everly Brothers album. I thought this cut was especially sharp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr9bNRv8xIs

Rank and File did a great version as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRI07A5aT6U

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

really liking the new Cat Power cd.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I've ordered Jesse Sings Kinky

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Hey BD, picked a pretty good little album. Young group from Jersey....Grizzly Bear -Shields. I know you like Band of Horses (they still have yet to strike chord with me but I do hear them now and again on Radio Paradise). I equate them more to The National and most see them as a young Radiohead.
Yeah, I know 'of' Grizzly Bear but haven't really given them a fightin chance. Maybe cause what I had heard of them didn't work for me. I do know that they are big in the hipster world.

Gotta say, the new Band of Horses is a terrific downer, truly disappointed with it to be honest. Kinda sad, their first 3 albums are killer, but they couldn't quite go four for four.

Album of they year for me so far is JBM's 'Stray Ashes' (he is Canadian), with Calexico's 'Algiers' and Hiss Golden Messenger's 'Poor Moon' and Wooden Sky's 'Every Daughter... all battling out for number 2 on the year end list. After that, it's First Aid Kit, Beachwood Sparks, Neil Halstead. Digging the new Cat Power. Like Lambchops latest. Father John Misty's album is kool.

Come back album of the year is Bill Fay's new one, his first album in 40 years believe it or not.
It wouldn't be the first (or last time) I was accused of being hip, aging or bad (thanks to hockey :evil: ).

I used to have a hell of a lot more time for new and auld music and now with this thesis my ears are thirsty. Good thing I have Radio Paradise :)

January I will catch up...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Saw Rodger Hodgson of Supertramp fame on Friday, another one out of the bucket. Man is just pure and simple, no bullshit, ahhhhhhhh the 70's hot knife'n days....tonight it's Young Neil and his Crazy Horse...saw them before but it's soooooooooooo good...Psychedelic Pill is a high water mark for him. How many old rockers can still produce quality shyte?

Grizzly Bear is probably my favourite album of the year so far....with Wilco a close second...

Although I did pick up some Klaus http://www.klausharmony.com 8-)

Will catch up with the other stuff you recommended BD over the Christmas holidays