There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: There will be a strike

Postby ukcanuck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:39 am

Potatoe1 wrote:...

The way I read your post earlier, I took it to mean that your allegiance is to the Canucks first and players second. I assume that means for an example when Bure was traded your interest in his exploits dropped down your priority list.

I agree with that, but I take it one step further with the Canucks themselves. If Aquaman held a press conference and announced that he had sold to Bill Laurie and they were moving to Oklahoma. The Oklahoma Canucks can take my 30 year old Canuck fishing cap with them cause I wouldn't care anymore about the franchise.

My allegiance is to the city first and franchise second as it was with the Grizzlies...


oh and as far as the players are concerned, I don't believe they care much, but they have demonstrated on several occasions that they definitely care more than the owners. (give or take an aquaman or two anyway)
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2307
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:54 am

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (114.67 KiB) Viewed 233 times
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3547
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby dbr » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:59 am

"MAHOLTRA," is that Don Cherry drawing up the lineups?

ukcanuck wrote:oh and as far as the players are concerned, I don't believe they care much, but they have demonstrated on several occasions that they definitely care more than the owners. (give or take an aquaman or two anyway)


What a bizarre argument to try to make.. I can't imagine how convoluted it would get trying to objectively look at everything either party does and attempt to categorize it as caring or not, self-interested or not, etc etc etc.

So does Terry Pegula (who is sinking tens of millions into a franchise that won't earn it back) count as someone who "cares"? Does Shane Doan (who gave a discount to a team tied to the area where he has personally put down roots)? Do the Senators who went without paycheques while the team was bankrupt and if so is it the franchise or the city that they "care" about? Does a player showing up at Canuck Place prove that they "care" or is it just that they are attending compulsory events put on by their employer (in which case this proves that it's ownership that "cares" rather than the players)?

:crazy:
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Topper » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:01 pm

I don't care.

Except for bear.

I care for bear.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4593
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: There will be a strike

Postby rats19 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Topper wrote:I don't care.

Except for bear.

I care for bear.

not sure who cares more?
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: There will be a strike

Postby donlever » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Topper wrote:
donlever wrote:The NHL can bring Kate Upton to my front doorstep and have her carress my nut sack and I'm still out.

Of the closet.


..made me lol, but nonsensical regardless as I did not say I would not accept the caress, just that it would do no good in terms of the leagues desires.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby donlever » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:26 pm

rats19 wrote:
Topper wrote:I don't care.

Except for bear.

I care for bear.

not sure who cares more?


Phil Collins doesn't.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby ukcanuck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:34 pm

dbr wrote:"MAHOLTRA," is that Don Cherry drawing up the lineups?

ukcanuck wrote:oh and as far as the players are concerned, I don't believe they care much, but they have demonstrated on several occasions that they definitely care more than the owners. (give or take an aquaman or two anyway)


What a bizarre argument to try to make.. I can't imagine how convoluted it would get trying to objectively look at everything either party does and attempt to categorize it as caring or not, self-interested or not, etc etc etc.

So does Terry Pegula (who is sinking tens of millions into a franchise that won't earn it back) count as someone who "cares"? Does Shane Doan (who gave a discount to a team tied to the area where he has personally put down roots)? Do the Senators who went without paycheques while the team was bankrupt and if so is it the franchise or the city that they "care" about? Does a player showing up at Canuck Place prove that they "care" or is it just that they are attending compulsory events put on by their employer (in which case this proves that it's ownership that "cares" rather than the players)?

:crazy:

I suppose its a subjective argument which makes it difficult or almost impossible to prove conclusively, but I don't hunt and don't have much of an opinion to be subjective or objective about on that other lockout supported thread :)
However, I'd like to see how anyone could subjectively or objectively argue that the average hockey player raised in the average small town being supported and cheered by the local community could be less caring about the average fan than a silver spoon raised, disconnected from the common man, private school school going, let em eat cake rich guy.
overly stereotypical I assume would be the argument, sure there are exceptions, one could list assholes on both sides all day but I'm comfortable with the stereotype.
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2307
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: There will be a strike

Postby rats19 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:35 pm

donlever wrote:
rats19 wrote:
Topper wrote:I don't care.

Except for bear.

I care for bear.

not sure who cares more?


Phil Collins doesn't.

nor does Richie Blackmore:

After years of being completely overlooked by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, pioneering hard rockers Deep Purple received word last week that they are among the nominees this year. But if you’re hoping for an epic reunion jam on ‘Highway Star’ at this year’s ceremony, not so fast — in a new interview, former Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore says he has no interest in whether the band is inducted or not.
“Personally, I couldn’t care less,” the guitarist tells Billboard. “I would never go. I’m not really a fan of that stuff. Considering some of the people that are in the Hall of Fame, I’m not sure if it’s a good idea, so I don’t care one way or the other, actually.”
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: There will be a strike

Postby donlever » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:39 pm

rats19 wrote: nor does Richie Blackmore:



He is, however, a Highway Star!
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby ukcanuck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:40 pm

donlever wrote:
Topper wrote:
donlever wrote:The NHL can bring Kate Upton to my front doorstep and have her carress my nut sack and I'm still out.

Of the closet.


..made me lol, but nonsensical regardless as I did not say I would not accept the caress, just that it would do no good in terms of the leagues desires.

I was thinking based on money invested and attitude towards the NHL, you'd get Kate and I'd get Roseanne Barr... then my mind wandered from the dent on the stoop of my front door and the vice like grip the caress would need to be to keep from screaming into the night.
all things considered I'd rather have the bear than the Barr...
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2307
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: There will be a strike

Postby rats19 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:51 pm

donlever wrote:
rats19 wrote: nor does Richie Blackmore:



He is, however, a Highway Star!

a real space trucker...
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Topper » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Deep Purple further cheapens the RRHOF.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4593
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Potatoe1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:06 pm

ukcanuck wrote:overly stereotypical I assume would be the argument,


Ya think :lol:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby rats19 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Topper wrote:Deep Purple further cheapens the RRHOF.

shirley you jest...
they are considered around the #35 of all time best rock bands...Can I be Frank?...there has to be room in the RRHOF for #35...come on ...come on...lets go space truckin... :crazy:
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], herb, Raile and 2 guests