Booth kills baited bear

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Topper »

ClamRussel wrote:Mondi is right, guy is a tool.
Pretty weak argument to start personal attacks.

viewtopic.php?p=151327#p151327
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I have to say looking at his latest photo ...... so which one is the goat :lol:
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Topper wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Mondi is right, guy is a tool.
Pretty weak argument to start personal attacks.

viewtopic.php?p=151327#p151327
I didn't know I was in a debate with Booth. Nice try though.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A personal attack is still a personal attack.

At least the Dude has the credibility to discuss his problems with Booth's play and his dislike of Booth's hunting techniques.

You have done nothing in this thread but advertise your ignorance of modern hunting, your preference for inhumane hunting practises, your complete disregard for hunter safety and your lack of knowledge of the laws governing hunting.

You should be doing some research on these issues and building a base of knowledge before blindly spewing forth your views and attacking everyone with a differing opinion.

For a synopsis,

Booth's bear hunt was filmed for a new TV show.

Booth grew up hunting and fishing.

Booth is an American and hence, required by law to have a guide with him while hunting in Canada.

Bait and blind hunting for bears is legal in certain areas of Alberta. Legality is based upon detailed wildlife population studies with a primary concern being the population mix of black bears and grizzly bears.

It is illegal to abandon, destroy or allow edible meat from hunting to become unfit for human consumption. It is also illegal to abandon or destroy the skin of the animal.

Due to the difficulty in humanely (ie single shot) killing large game there are minimum allowable calibres for fire arms and bullet design as a well as minimum standards for bow design and arrow/arrowhead design.

Bears are predatory animals and any close encounter with one is dangerous.

Wounding an animal is not only an inhumane hunting practice, a wounded animal is a public danger and must be dealt with as soon as it is safe to do so.

The size of the target area on a bear for a clean kill and the limitations of a bow require the hunter to be within 50 yards and likely closer to 20 yards away from the animal.

Twenty yards from a bear with a weapon that requires extremely fine accuracy highlights why baiting and shooting from a blind is not only the safest for the hunter, but also offers the best chance for a humane kill of the animal.

Duck hunters utilize decoys duck calls, blinds and shot guns. Fishermen use baited hooks and traps. Deer, elk and moose hunters use scented decoys, animal calls and blinds. Clams only require an empty bucket tossed over the side of a boat, wait a few hours and haul up the whole family, but David Booth was hunting a far more evolved and intelligent species.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Booth's already come out stated he's doing this for trophy hunting. I've already stated my comments had nothing to do with hunting for meat so I won't address that. I haven't "attacked" anyone's views that are different than mine. Quite the contrary, people who favour these hunting practices have done the personal attacks. If someone doesn't agree with Booth they are called ignorant. Like you just proved here once again. The only ignorance going on here is assuming to know a person's background and experience without knowledge.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ClamRussel wrote:Booth's already come out stated he's doing this for trophy hunting.

Booth referred to the goat as a trophy. That is what they are called in hunting. The same rules apply for usage of meat and skin. Baiting is not allowed for goats and blinds would be completely ineffective so your insinuation (viewtopic.php?p=151682#p151682) that he used those methods is yet another fallacy in your continued diatribe.

In fact goat hunting is by far the closest to you preferred take on hunting. (viewtopic.php?p=151682#p151682)
You're forgetting the key part of hunting ....the "hunt". Going out to the wilderness and searching for your own. Thats hunting.
But then, with your background and experience, you should already have possessed that knowledge.
ClamRussel wrote:I've already stated my comments had nothing to do with hunting for meat so I won't address that.

These animals are hunted for meat. To do otherwise is illegal. Maybe you didn't know that and that is why you backed off the topic. They are also hunted for their skins (trophies but I know you don't like that word) and again, to do otherwise is illegal. Do you own a leather coat or wallet Clam? I have some lovely mother of pearl on my mantle piece, the animal was used for chowder.
ClamRussel wrote:I haven't "attacked" anyone's views that are different than mine. Quite the contrary, people who favour these hunting practices have done the personal attacks.
Really? (viewtopic.php?p=151213#p151213) Maybe it is your way of debating to accuse others creating strawmen. Good ol LBJ. Repeatedly, by myself, Coco and Carlyee, the fallacies and errors that you base your views upon have been exposed and without a basis for your views, those views are ignorant.
ClamRussel wrote:If someone doesn't agree with Booth they are called ignorant.

As I said
You have done nothing in this thread but advertise your ignorance of modern hunting, your preference for inhumane hunting practises, your complete disregard for hunter safety and your lack of knowledge of the laws governing hunting.
That is stating fact. Would you prefer the euphemism "lack of knowledge"?
ClamRussel wrote: The only ignorance going on here is assuming to know a person's background and experience without knowledge.
Oh please Clam, tell us of that vast hunting background and experience that you possess because it certainly isn't shown in any of your posts in this thread.

Are we expected to bow down to this background, experience and knowledge of the unknown unknown you claim to have, because you certainly haven't demonstrated any of it.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'll be interested in seeing if this gets a reaction from the fans ? Booth is not the most popular player to start with. I'd have to think Vcr being rural there's a number of people who don't care for hunting. Topper you might be surprised how many people prefer to see a mountain goat climbing up a mountain. I'm wondering how he can eat all that meat, he's shot what bear + elk + goat = 3000+lbs of meat ? how many sausages will that make and then he has to take it all back to Minnesota with him unless of course he gives it to the guide that takes him direct to the spot/hide needed ?

He's have made more frinds had he made it into sauage and given it to the street people in Vcr
cheers
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Fred wrote:I'll be interested in seeing if this gets a reaction from the fans ?
Considering this is post 268 of a thread on a fan message board discussing it.. I'd say it just might Fred.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dbr wrote:
Fred wrote:I'll be interested in seeing if this gets a reaction from the fans ?
Considering this is post 268 of a thread on a fan message board discussing it.. I'd say it just might Fred.
lol this isnt even the first thread on Booth on this board, the Dude raged against booth on religious grounds when he first pooh poohed the trade to bring him here. At that time it was brought up that Booth was an avid hunter and I wondered then how he would be received in the city on the edge of the great bear rainforest. I was picturing the whole west end up in arms, spontaneous gay pride parades striking up in protest left and right. PETA and animal rights activists chaining themselves to tree huggers and the mass spiking of tree beer.

I still wonder when Vancouver's eco activist element will wake up, perhaps it will be a picture of Booth the great white hunter standing over one too many magnificent trophies. who knows?

One think I didnt think about at the time is the the rest of the province, if we are all Canucks then half of the team lives in a world where hunting is something thats weaved right into the fabric of society. Such people quite rightly point out the hypocrisy and misunderstanding of where meat comes from... For those Booth will be judged on something else
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I don't think most people give a shit, frankly.

Fred's having fun because he doesn't like the player and obviously many sneer at hunting (and some hunters) in general but it's not like the holy roller is going to get booed every time he touches the puck at GM Place now.

This is a non-story that would be buried by now if we had an NHL season to talk about.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

dbr wrote:I don't think most people give a shit, frankly.

Fred's having fun because he doesn't like the player and obviously many sneer at hunting (and some hunters) in general but it's not like the holy roller is going to get booed every time he touches the puck at GM Place now.

This is a non-story that would be buried by now if we had an NHL season to talk about.
of course its a non-story.......BUTT its our non-story.... :eh:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Fred wrote:I'll be interested in seeing if this gets a reaction from the fans ? Booth is not the most popular player to start with. I'd have to think Vcr being rural there's a number of people who don't care for hunting. Topper you might be surprised how many people prefer to see a mountain goat climbing up a mountain. I'm wondering how he can eat all that meat, he's shot what bear + elk + goat = 3000+lbs of meat ? how many sausages will that make and then he has to take it all back to Minnesota with him unless of course he gives it to the guide that takes him direct to the spot/hide needed ?

He's have made more frinds had he made it into sauage and given it to the street people in Vcr
Fred I personally am not a hunter as I have more than enough home grown beef 100yds from my house. My brother in law hunts and has great burgers and sausage made from game. The issue is that hunting is legal and as Topper said the meat must be used. That doesn't mean Booth has to personally ingest every ounce. He may very well give it to friends or whatever. I Like to see wildlife roaming free as well, however, there are a myriad of reasons why hunting is allowed. I had a wolf cross and hate the thought of seeing them shot because of lobbying by the beef cattlemen, but I understand why. Wolves, bears and the cats have no natural predators to help control the population. WHen their numbers increase to the point where their "territory" no longers provides enough food they either starve or move. An animal is no different than a human when it comes to looking for food. They will take the easiest meal available. Thats why cattle herds and garbage become the wolf and the bear's "Keg". The numbers of wildlife are closely monitored and hunting is expanded or contracted as the numbers dictate. Too many deer and elk can cause major problems in agricultural areas such as where I live. A small herd of 20 elk can totally destroy a 50 ton stack of hay in days. Deer can destroy ornamental trees and gardens.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

We need to do some "bear baiting" in Port Moody, and shoot a few Deer while we are at it.

The truth is Hunting and fishing are massive industries in North America, it's kind of amusing that people are making charter judgement about a Hockey player for participating in such a wide spread hobby.

As for "the Meat" and where it goes. My guess is that the guide takes it and sells it. I have no idea what a full Bear or Deer is worth but I suspect it brings in a few bucks a pound. There is no way it is left to rot.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

There is an elementary school across the back alley from our place. The other evening while taking my son to play, there were 20 deer on the soccer field grazing and shitting. Laughably, there are "Clean up after your dog" signs all around the perimeter of the school yard.

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Too bad trophy hunters aren't interested in vermin with antlers or horns, and only seem to want magnificent animals in their prime. I'm not a hunter either, however I'm gratified to learn that the meat from trophy hunting must be used. To my mind that takes the wastefulness out of the whole equation.