Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by clem »

ESQ wrote:I found this somewhat disturbing, as it was brought to my attention by a leaves fan: Globe and Mail: Vancouver Fans Start To Panic.
In TO, it's not hard to find condescending attitudes towards Vancouver. Not nasty. Tolerance of a backwards sibling.

A milder version of the attitude some here show towards Calgary.
jwmann2
AHL Prospect

Post by jwmann2 »

The hockey media in Canada has always been worse than the media the American teams get. However, I expect it to worsen as the game gets bigger; which it has. The NHL is now more popular than the NBA.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I wish someone would hire Glen Hanlon as an analyst, as he is very well spoken, articulate and insightful....he would be so much better than so many of the other analysts out there....
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Just media in general I would say. Still the most hated team, most of the predictions I've read thus far read like "OMG the Canucks will be lucky to survive XXXX series" and Canucks loose Stanley Cup again to any team they are matched against up to and including a bag of pucks.

meh. Embrace the hate, play our game and hoist the cup.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What the fuck is up with Botchford??? He has taken over the throne for the most annoying local sporting journalist. A title once held by the great David Pratt.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Too much to read on this thread, I'll just throw out another +1 on abolishing Tony Gallagher.

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:What the fuck is up with Botchford??? He has taken over the throne for the most annoying local sporting journalist. A title once held by the great David Pratt.
No shit. Have you ever seen him on a panel on SportsNet or HNIC? Guy has that look on his face, of 'holy shit I can't believe I've made it! I'm actually pulling this off! ...and I'm going to be a celebrity!!! I hope they don't catch on' ....or his Province profile shot wearing Beats headphones. There is alot of annoying goofs in the Van media circle but this guy is right near the top.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ClamRussel wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:What the fuck is up with Botchford??? He has taken over the throne for the most annoying local sporting journalist. A title once held by the great David Pratt.
No shit. Have you ever seen him on a panel on SportsNet or HNIC? Guy has that look on his face, of 'holy shit I can't believe I've made it! I'm actually pulling this off! ...and I'm going to be a celebrity!!! I hope they don't catch on' ....or his Province profile shot wearing Beats headphones. There is alot of annoying goofs in the Van media circle but this guy is right near the top.
lolololol
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

ClamRussel wrote:
Yes, the profile pic with his headphones is particularly pathetic...there is nothing less cool than someone working really hard to look cool....I'd even say, he's a DUD!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

This lockout is killling the assheads that work for the TEAM 1040. Nothing but Lions and Whitecaps to talk about. They attempt to talk MLB and NFL but they are way out of their element.

Thank christ for 1410 and Patrick, Mike and Mike and Rome for decent sports talk.

The only local fellas I can stand on the TEAM are Tom Mayenecht and Terry David Mulligan .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

From the Province today:
1. Evidently some fans who have not exactly been thrilled with the performance of the Avs this year brought some signs to the game which were not overly complimentary. At least one, anyway. That one read ‘fire Sacco,’ referring to Avs coach Joe Sacco.

The other two were totally incomprehensible unless they speak in code in Colorado. Come to think of it, maybe it has something to do with the legalization of weed in that state, but we digress. Another one read: ‘90 not 37’ on the top line with ‘worn with pride’ on the second. Ryan O’Reilly wears 90 for the Avs, nobody No. 37 — so you figure it out.

And the other one read: ‘Sink 4 Seth,’ none of us Vancouverites able to decode them.

Anyway, the Avs complained about all three for some reason, and the security staff evidently took them from the fans. Maybe they were close to the Avs bench and Altitude Sports wouldn’t have been able to show the bench without showing the signs, which is a problem when the TV station is owned by the same guy who owns the team.

But apparently it’s policy at Rogers that if a visiting team complains about signs, the fan in question is asked to give it up, even if it says something incomprehensible or something as easy to live with as fire the coach.

Something in poor taste? Fine. What’s wrong with ‘fire Sacco’ when you've had a year like they have? Aren't you deserving of at least some abuse from paying customers?
http://www.theprovince.com/Trick+Overly ... z2OxtlIusn

So someone posts in response:
Seriously? Nobody could figure out Sink 4 Seth? What a crack team of hockey enthusiasts you must have working at the province. Please get out of your ridiculous Canucks bubble and take a look at anything else in the hockey world. Seth Jones is going #1 or 2 in the upcoming draft this year. Extremely highly touted defenceman playing for the Portland Winter Hawks. But how would you know that, he's not from Vancouver, nor does he play here so he can't be that good right? Probably gets preferential treatment from the refs too, that's why he puts up the points he does. No wonder Vancouver is a joke to everyone else around the league. Wake up and realize there's more to the hockey world than just the mighty Vancouver Canucks you clowns.
:D

Media = idjiuts
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Arachnid wrote:From the Province today:
1. Evidently some fans who have not exactly been thrilled with the performance of the Avs this year brought some signs to the game which were not overly complimentary. At least one, anyway. That one read ‘fire Sacco,’ referring to Avs coach Joe Sacco.

The other two were totally incomprehensible unless they speak in code in Colorado. Come to think of it, maybe it has something to do with the legalization of weed in that state, but we digress. Another one read: ‘90 not 37’ on the top line with ‘worn with pride’ on the second. Ryan O’Reilly wears 90 for the Avs, nobody No. 37 — so you figure it out.

And the other one read: ‘Sink 4 Seth,’ none of us Vancouverites able to decode them.

Anyway, the Avs complained about all three for some reason, and the security staff evidently took them from the fans. Maybe they were close to the Avs bench and Altitude Sports wouldn’t have been able to show the bench without showing the signs, which is a problem when the TV station is owned by the same guy who owns the team.

But apparently it’s policy at Rogers that if a visiting team complains about signs, the fan in question is asked to give it up, even if it says something incomprehensible or something as easy to live with as fire the coach.

Something in poor taste? Fine. What’s wrong with ‘fire Sacco’ when you've had a year like they have? Aren't you deserving of at least some abuse from paying customers?
Frakking nazis. :?
Why the heck do we need to babysit the opposing team here?
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

TURN UP THE VOLUME KIDS IN SEPTEMBER ON YOUR MORNING DRIVE. I'M BACK WITH THE STATION I HELPED BUILD.

DP
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Now if we can just get rid of the newspaper guys the station might be worth listening too.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

DavidPratt_ wrote:TURN UP THE VOLUME KIDS IN SEPTEMBER ON YOUR MORNING DRIVE. I'M BACK WITH THE STATION I HELPED BUILD.

DP
DP eh... :look:

You forgot to say which station tho...1040 I assume
If you need air...call it in