Dan Cloutier signs with the Canucks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Dan Cloutier signs with the Canucks

Post by Tciso »

5thhorseman wrote:How can you not love this guy!
Best part was he knew he was getting at least a game, so he gave 'er his all. Jersey comes off. Might as well get full value for the suspension. You cannot ever question his heart and his battle.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Holden's career ended when he said "I have a hard time gripping the stick" after he slashed the tendons in his hand. Too sad.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Speaking of Holden, sometimes I think Higgins is the type of player Holden should have become.

Arachnid wrote:Do you remember when we use to argue about who was better Sopel or Holden? Neither do I :cry:

I miss hockey :(
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Every time Cloutier started to play well he got hurt. I think if he had not been hurt so much he might have evolved into top 10. I suspect he could make a good coach. What happened to the last guy who changed Lou's game so much? BTW. I like the idea of having Lou around to stqart the season whenever that may be. Soon please.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Tciso wrote:Holden's career ended when he said "I have a hard time gripping the stick" after he slashed the tendons in his hand. Too sad.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Speaking of Holden, sometimes I think Higgins is the type of player Holden should have become.

Arachnid wrote:Do you remember when we use to argue about who was better Sopel or Holden? Neither do I :cry:

I miss hockey :(
Too true. Vancouver has had it's share (if not more) of freak bad luck with prospects. Who can say what Holden's ceiling would have been?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Lancer wrote:
Tciso wrote:Holden's career ended when he said "I have a hard time gripping the stick" after he slashed the tendons in his hand. Too sad.
Too true. Vancouver has had it's share (if not more) of freak bad luck with prospects. Who can say what Holden's ceiling would have been?
Who knows, but Quinn said he still regrets sending Holden back to junior that year. Holden had made the Canucks as an 18yr old I believe but Quinn said he and the staff had reservations about rushing him and felt another year of junior would be good for his development. I believe Quinn told Josh this at a wedding a couple of yrs back. The incident occurred when his glove accidentally came off and was a pure fluke. Sad really.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:I was a Sopel supporter :) And was pleased to see him win a SC (despite playing for the Hawks )

Are you a relative of his ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fred wrote:I was a Sopel supporter :) And was pleased to see him win a SC (despite playing for the Hawks )

No, bald.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

:lol:

Naw I just thought that the duo of Ohlund and Sopel were great. Sopel provided much of the offense and Ohlund a staedy force. When they used to pull that cross over back at the blue line man it confused the Hell out of a lot of teams. And on the PP it was the very rare puck that got past Sopel at the point, heady sort of a player. The guy that always scared the bejeebers out of me was Jovo, man he used to cough it up so often you lost count. It was popular to look down on Sopel, sort of sheep think :lol:
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ed Jovanovski was a far better player than Brent Sopel.

I agree that Jovo at times had some blunders out there, but the "sheep" knew what the hell they were talking about and so did the people who choose Olympic teams.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Brent Sopel has a SC ring :D and deservedly so. Jovo was always popular since the day he was drafted and when the mood took him could really lay the muscle on ...nothing wrong with that, I like him some times but gaffs were his primary calling card IMO. I'll say this he did get better with time.

And frankly Sopel was not as good at the things he did as Jovo was at what he did
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Don't get me wrong, I was not a guy who really liked Sopel, but the dude took a lot more heat than he should have. He was a decent 4/5 guy who had a real heavy shot , could make a good first pass and like you say had a knack of holding the puck in on the PP. He was a bit soft for a guy so big and strong however, but in the end a decent partner for Ohlund .

That team had three good defensive pairings in Ohlund/Sopel, Jovo/Malik and Baron/Salo. No wonder Cloutier put up so many wins. They had good defensive forwards in Klatt, Chubarov, Linden etc....toughness, a dynamite first line. Imagine if the twins had starting producing a couple seasons earlier. They would have won a cup in spite of Dan Cloutier. Timing is a motherfucker sometimes.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

There was a very good reason Jovo developed the nickname Special Ed. High risk/high reward play too dissimilar to our current KB3.

Ed made himself a reputation during the Panther's playoff run and milked that never fulfilled potential the rest of his career.

Sopel was a 5-6 guy, had a knack, as Blob said for holding the blue line, but also had a knack for getting behind Cloutier and bailing him out.

My Sharona.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Don't get me wrong, I was not a guy who really liked Sopel, but the dude took a lot more heat than he should have. He was a decent 4/5 guy who had a real heavy shot , could make a good first pass and like you say had a knack of holding the puck in on the PP. He was a bit soft for a guy so big and strong however, but in the end a decent partner for Ohlund .

That team had three good defensive pairings in Ohlund/Sopel, Jovo/Malik and Baron/Salo. No wonder Cloutier put up so many wins. They had good defensive forwards in Klatt, Chubarov, Linden etc....toughness, a dynamite first line. Imagine if the twins had starting producing a couple seasons earlier. They would have won a cup in spite of Dan Cloutier. Timing is a motherfucker sometimes.

You know when you think about it Cloutier was surounded with quality help....just makes things worse :D
cheers
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

They had good defensive forwards in Klatt, Chubarov, Linden etc..
Now there's a guy I would have liked to see stick with the team.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: There was a very good reason Jovo developed the nickname Special Ed. High risk/high reward play too dissimilar to our current KB3.

Ed made himself a reputation during the Panther's playoff run and milked that never fulfilled potential the rest of his career.

Sopel was a 5-6 guy, had a knack, as Blob said for holding the blue line, but also had a knack for getting behind Cloutier and bailing him out.

My Sharona.
Knack-a Knack-a Knack-a!!

Eddy sold his soul....
____
Try to focus on someday.