Best Canucks Lineup

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Best Canucks Lineup

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Gerald Diduck, arguably one of the toughest D-men in the history of this team's

I liked Diduck but he actually played behind Murzyn when he was here.

For all the flack he took, Murzyn was on the top pairing with Lumme for 2 or 3 first placed canuck seasons in the early 90's.
I liked Murzyn as well, a huge fan of Dana really, but he was nowhere near the fighter Diduck was, not even close, complete opposites in fact. We are talking apples and oranges here. Murzyn will probably go down as the greatest punching bag of all time, with Oreskovich and Weise not too far behind, but I loved Murzyn, he always stuck up for his teamates, well, at least he tried sticking up for his teamates, it never ended well for him.
This was one of the worst Canuck fights of all time.....total salt in the wound/sand in the face for what Corson did to Mason the previous season. Punching bag extraordinaire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXObvICSDys
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

ClamRussel wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:On Neely, I get that his best years weren't as a Canuck, but come on - who wouldn't want to have one of the best power forwards of all time on right wing with the Sedins? Neely was a pretty smart player as well, so I think the line would have had chemistry.
Well then you have to put your bias aside and put Messier in that lineup as well....who wouldn't want him in his prime?!? Guy was freaking scary and one of the top 2-way centers of all time. He and Sundin are HOF material all the way. Imagine a line of Sundin-Messier-Neely if you will, holy shit! If you look at their full NHL careers, Messier may be the most impressive Canuck of all time....in that sense. I know, a hard pill to swallow...I can't stand the fuck either. But lets call a spade a spade here, the guy was damn good.

Frick, while we're at it....if we're going to include Neely we'd HAVE to include Krutov. The guy was AMAZING when he was on the Red Army. Left LaFleur holding his jockstrap going end to end against Team Canada in '81. Ask Larionov how amazing Krutov was before he came here, guy was a stellar talent....one of the best in the world.
I think I feel differently about Neely among the "more successful elsewhere" bunch because he was a Canucks first round draft choice, and thus was associated with Canuck hopes and dreams --- as opposed to Messier, Sundin, etc.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ClamRussel wrote:
This was one of the worst Canuck fights of all time.....total salt in the wound/sand in the face for what Corson did to Mason the previous season. Punching bag extraordinaire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXObvICSDys
That was awful. That was the annoying factor about Murzyn, he was pretty much guaranteed to lose every time he dropped the mitts and sometimes that can help light a fire for the opposing team seeing your teamate give a good beat down on a player. Definitely a confidence booster for the winning side and deflating for the losing side. Which was why I could never understand why the coaches then never took Murzyn aside and told him to hang up the mitts when it came to fighting. I mean, Blobby Cat learned from his beatdown in Washington State to not fight anymore. Why couldn't Murzyn.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Hey I don't know if you remember Corson to well, but certainly in his early days he was one of the best fighter in the league. But the one thing about Murzyn he never, never, never turned any one down regadless of his toughness. He's go with any one, and it never changed his style, When May threw a few at Bure, here's how Murzyn reatliated. Can you imagine Marchant giving Daniel Sedion a number of shots if this happened

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zwzr9KScy0

Murzyn stood up for his teams mates every time, every time I wish he was still playing. As Gretzky said no one enjoyed playing against Dana Murzyn.

No ome skated passed Murzyn without getting the lumber and a bruise to remember him by. Great Competitor
cheers
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Mëds wrote:I can't believe the Algonquin Assassin didn't make anyone's cut so far..... :lol:

Tiger, GIno and Brashear is my 4th line every time I make my team. We don't need a center for this line. "Fear is a Natural Center"
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: That might be a decent AHL team (smile)
Twould be a BLOODY entertaining NHL team imho.

It would have beat the last 3 Stanley Cup winners. Probably all at the same time too :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Fred wrote:Hey I don't know if you remember Corson to well, but certainly in his early days he was one of the best fighter in the league. But the one thing about Murzyn he never, never, never turned any one down regadless of his toughness. He's go with any one, and it never changed his style, When May threw a few at Bure, here's how Murzyn reatliated. Can you imagine Marchant giving Daniel Sedion a number of shots if this happened

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zwzr9KScy0

Murzyn stood up for his teams mates every time, every time I wish he was still playing. As Gretzky said no one enjoyed playing against Dana Murzyn.

No ome skated passed Murzyn without getting the lumber and a bruise to remember him by. Great Competitor
Even if he was a bit of an opportunist, and kind of a cheap shot artist at times....I love how he came in to help Bure there. Things were just a poke here, a push there until May tried that roundhouse punch at Pavel....May got what he had coming to him. I don't remember Murzyn playing like this but this is definitely cheap and would probably get him a 6 game suspension today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOK36nTr-Kk

We definitely need some blueliners who would protect the players like Diduck and Murzyn did (even if Dana couldn't fight worth beans). I've long believed we've really been missing a blueliner like Diduck for years now....when Quinn made that trade I damn well knew exactly what we were getting in return and was over the moon about it. Hard to find guys like that these days....he had a hard shot and could throw the hits as well. Why we ever let him go is beyond me. Anyone know the story there? We certainly got nothing back in return (Bogdan Savenko and a 3rd round pick=Larry Courville).
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Speaking of fantasyland lines that never were....after landing Mogilny there was some buzz the Canucks may try and land Fedorov....I believe it was Devellano who said something like "should I just hand Vancouver the Cup?" Too bad it never came to be at least at some point in the NHL....those 3 were magic together as teenagers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGadxMwN ... re=related
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

From the day Mogilny mentioned in an interview, "well really I'm more into golf these days" his game fell off a cliff. Vcr were lucky to move him in the end and NJ ended up sending him to the AHL if I recall.

When you look at the Murzyn era on youtube you realize how radical a chnage there has been in the game Brawls were common and ferquent and they went on seems for ever, both teams milling around and fights starting again and again you'd be lucky to get out of the Pacific Coloseum by midnight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-NXbpf0Er0

Here's a flyer 'nucks brawls .... and it doesn't show it all, plus sorting out the penalties afterwards

Can you imagine Lidstrom being in the running for a great defenseman with games like this :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0pngnAW3DE

Dale Rolf was a sort of passive player in no way could you call him a tough guy just like Lidstrom but man did he get wupped by Schultz
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:From the day Mogilny mentioned in an interview, "well really I'm more into golf these days" his game fell off a cliff. Vcr were lucky to move him in the end and NJ ended up sending him to the AHL if I recall.
Mogilny scored 280 points in 297 games after leaving Vancouver. He also won a cup. I'd hardly call that falling off a cliff. He did dog it a bit in his last season but Lamoreillo also fucked him around and burried him in the minors to make room for Patrick Elias's return. Mogilny was a cap casualty along with Vladimir Malakhov I believe.

As for the return Vancouver got back for an elite player like Mogilny I would call it mediocre at best.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:As for the return Vancouver got back for an elite player like Mogilny I would call it mediocre at best.
Well, Morrison did end up being the responsible core of the WCE, not to mention a BC boy blahblah. But yeah, Almo was elite.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

One wonders what kind of numbers Bertuzzi and Naslund could have put up with a true #1 centre. Nothing against Brendan Morrison but he was a pretty weak linemate for those two, but I will give him credit for being a decent defensive player.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fred wrote:From the day Mogilny mentioned in an interview, "well really I'm more into golf these days" his game fell off a cliff. Vcr were lucky to move him in the end and NJ ended up sending him to the AHL if I recall.
Mogilny scored 280 points in 297 games after leaving Vancouver. He also won a cup. I'd hardly call that falling off a cliff. He did dog it a bit in his last season but Lamoreillo also fucked him around and burried him in the minors to make room for Patrick Elias's return. Mogilny was a cap casualty along with Vladimir Malakhov I believe.

As for the return Vancouver got back for an elite player like Mogilny I would call it mediocre at best.
Ya thats an inaccurate statement if I ever heard it. Mogilny was on *fire* at the time the Canucks traded him. If anything Burke threw in the towel on the season because we were in a playoff hunt and Alex was just lighting it up. He then went on to score over 40 goals and 80+ pts the next season. It was in his second go-around w/ Jersey that he got burried.....even then he had decent numbers. Teams shouldn't be allowed to do that, total crap.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ClamRussel wrote: We definitely need some blueliners who would protect the players like Diduck and Murzyn did (even if Dana couldn't fight worth beans). I've long believed we've really been missing a blueliner like Diduck for years now....when Quinn made that trade I damn well knew exactly what we were getting in return and was over the moon about it. Hard to find guys like that these days....he had a hard shot and could throw the hits as well. Why we ever let him go is beyond me. Anyone know the story there? We certainly got nothing back in return (Bogdan Savenko and a 3rd round pick=Larry Courville).
That is why I would love to have Petrovic coming this way in a Lou trade with FLA. He could be that guy, huge, can play the game and can throw them and can lay out some nasty hits. I like the idea of having him and Kassian on the team for years to come, a bit of piss and vinegar who can play and scrap. Plus this Alexandre Mallette appears to be a pretty damn good scrapper as well, could be our next good middle weight scrapper but has a skill set too. Connauton and Corrado are known to scrap as well.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Yeah when they moved Mogiliny to NJ he faded fast can u imagine carry that salary in the AHL :shock: I'll say this he had the best wrist shot I can remember
cheers