The off-season fattie thread.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: The off-season fattie thread.

Post by SKYO »

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: The ofseason fattie thread.

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: That would be work 10 hours a day not workout ten hours a day.

If you define work as golfing, fishing, pounding beers and eating ice cream then yeah I would say Fugly and Ballard have been working 10 hours a day this summer.
The point was that some were trying to pass off the life of a Professional athlete as some kind of jolly jolly where the days were filled with a light skate on games days and fucking cake the rest of the time. I was merely pointed out that to be good at anything takes a lot of work. There have been studies that it takes 10,000 hours or more to master a skill and in fact one book on the subject even used Canadian hockey players as an example on the hours it takes to gain the skills to play the game. you do the math if a player is drafted at 19 how many hours a day does he have to put in to acquire the 10 grand necessary? 5 hours a day for 5 years ?
Well UK, when you consider that most NHL players get drafted at around 19 years old and then proceed to take another 10 years to actually hit their peak, that changes the equation. Many of these guys that truly master the game start playing between the ages of 5 and 7. So by the time they are drafted they have already been playing for 12+ years. When you also consider the studies that have proven that children adapt, learn, and become proficient at tasks, language, and activities, at an accelerated rate, then it could be argued that they have a head start on that 10,000 hours. Now, move ahead to when these players hit their late 20's. I rounded it all to nearest 5's for my quick "math".

Let's take Sidney Crosby as an example here as he is quite arguable the best player in the NHL. He's 25 years old. According to biographical information on him he started playing hockey in his basement at 2 years old and was skating at 3. So he has been playing hockey for 22 years. By that token he has had to put in an average of 1.25 hours a day to get to where he is at right now.

Just food for thought. ;)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: The ofseason fattie thread.

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
Let's take Sidney Crosby as an example here as he is quite arguable the best player in the NHL. He's 25 years old. According to biographical information on him he started playing hockey in his basement at 2 years old and was skating at 3. So he has been playing hockey for 22 years. By that token he has had to put in an average of 1.25 hours a day to get to where he is at right now.

Just food for thought. ;)
lol Damn I waste that much time a day doing nothing... I could a been a NHL star.

I guess given enough time anything is possible :)
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I hardly see the problem w/ Ballard's fitness in that one photo anyways....not like he looks like Wellwood or anything.

You really want to piss off this guy Pot?

"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Hmmm... Kassian lookin large (pictures from the Chicago-Rockford game Oct 3):

http://chrisjerina.smugmug.com/Hockey/A ... &k=fZwvTbW

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Hmmm... Kassian lookin large (pictures from the Chicago-Rockford game Oct 3):

S_C
And then in the other picture of him he looks fine. The first picture couldn't have anything to do with him pushing off and skating and his body starting to turn up the ice though. :crazy: Yes it's crazy i know.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Hmmm... Kassian lookin large (pictures from the Chicago-Rockford game Oct 3):

S_C
Fatty thread?...really SC?

From what I've heard MG & Co are very pleased with his current fitness.

From the same game...

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: And then in the other picture of him he looks fine. The first picture couldn't have anything to do with him pushing off and skating and his body starting to turn up the ice though. :crazy: Yes it's crazy i know.
Not to mention his baggy jersey flopping forward as he leans into the turn.

Geez S_C, you work for The Province??
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

:roll:

...they only give A's to fat guys.
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Kassian looks three feet wide in that picture :lol:
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Jeeesh - it was supposed to be funny, like do these hockey pants make me look fat...

I think we would have heard something if he was all Kadri or something.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Southern_Canuck wrote: Jeeesh - it was supposed to be funny
Okay SC, I'll do the jokes from now on....
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Jeeesh - it was supposed to be funny, like do these hockey pants make me look fat...

I think we would have heard something if he was all Kadri or something.

S_C
Shoulda spelled it Phat...:)