Oils owner in seattle....?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Oils owner in seattle....?

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:BC Place built in 1983 I believe for 126 million bones. The renovation for the new roof cost $563 million. The renovation budget was set for $365 million by the BC government. End result, $200 million over budget for a building to house the BC Lions. Greg Kerfoot owner of the Whitecaps wants to build his own soccer only stadium, trust me, he still does. What is so funny about Kerfoots situation is that he was literally on his hands and knees begging to build one on the waterfront with ALL HIS PRIVATE MONEY AND NO HELP FROM THE TAXPAYERS, but unfortunately some Federal Government funded Railroad company won't make a land swap deal with him, or should I say, sell the space above the tracks to add to the land that he owns on the waterfront, and so because of that he is TEMPORARILY playing his soccer team at BC Place. Kerfoot was even willing to build that waterfront stadium (keep in mind, WITH HIS OWN MONEY) to house both the Caps and the Lions at one point. This AMAZING new convention centre built on the waterfront, funded by taxpayers, is supposed to handle all the new big conventions, so it couldn't be the conventions that justified the $200 million over budget reno that cost $563 million to build is it???? So at the end of the day, this fucking $563 million renovation for a new roof to BC Place, is really for the BC Lions only, what 8 home games a year, and maybe a couple conventions??? Wow, money well spent. But hey, Mëds is cool with that, Just not what is going on with the Oilers, damn the Katz group to hell if they want help from taxpayers to build a new stadium.
Well actually Mëds isn't cool with that. Mëds didn't know about that because Mëds doesn't really pay attention to anything that involves the CFL outside of the odd Lions scoreboard.

I have to confess that I'm confused by your post there. You talk about this new stadium that Kerfoot wants to build on the waterfront with his own money. Then talk about an amazing new convention center built on the waterfrom that will be funded by taxpayers that is supposed to handle the new big conventions. Then say it couldn't be the conventions that justify the over budget reno. And at the end of the day the new $563M roof/reno is just for the Lions' 8 home games a year and some conventions. So is there a new convention center? Or are conventions and [some] concerts still being held at BC Place (and Rogers for [smaller] concerts)? If there is a new convention center that was going to be built then the reno on BC Place was even dumber than it actually was. If Kerfoot can't get the land and therefore won't build a convention center then the reno on BC Place is still a disaster budget-wise but was still necessary. Regardless, your rant makes no sense, but I get that you are not OK with the money spent on BC Place and somehow get the idea that I am OK with it.

If I recall the renovation on BC Place was also pushed up for the 2010 Olympics (that and it wasn't really safe to have anyone in the building anymore).....not that that reason is justification for half a billion dollars in renovation/repair for a single building, but all the same, if all that the building was going to be used for was as a home for a CFL team then it was a waste.....I guess they should have torn the place down. Or maybe come up with a way to redo the roof for much cheaper.

Regardless, typical RD, rant and rave, express your frustration, omit facts, erroneously infer someone else's opinion, and then simply sign off because you aren't smart enough to actually offer a better idea. It's a good thing people like you exist.....the world wouldn't get ANYwhere without forward thinking problem solvers like you.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
Well actually Mëds isn't cool with that. Mëds didn't know about that because Mëds doesn't really pay attention to anything that involves the CFL outside of the odd Lions scoreboard.

So is there a new convention center? Or are conventions and [some] concerts still being held at BC Place (and Rogers for [smaller] concerts)? If there is a new convention center that was going to be built then the reno on BC Place was even dumber than it actually was. If Kerfoot can't get the land and therefore won't build a convention center then the reno on BC Place is still a disaster budget-wise but was still necessary.

Regardless, your rant makes no sense, but I get that you are not OK with the money spent on BC Place and somehow get the idea that I am OK with it.

Regardless, typical RD, rant and rave, express your frustration, omit facts, erroneously infer someone else's opinion, and then simply sign off because you aren't smart enough to actually offer a better idea. It's a good thing people like you exist.....the world wouldn't get ANYwhere without forward thinking problem solvers like you.
The new convention centre on the waterfront is an expansion of the facility that handles the cruise ships that stop in vancouver and can handle smaller conventions up to 6000 people est.
http://www.vancouverconventioncentre.com/

BC place still is the only facility in the province that can handle the big conventions and events that require space for up to 50,000 est. It still has a roof on it and you can still fit a 747 aircraft into it like they did for the Expo 86...its just on a completely different scale than the convention centre.
http://www.bcplacestadium.com/index.php/home.html

The waterfront stadium the Kerfoot wanted to build was going to be a small sports only stadium that if anything happened to the Whitecaps or the the league they play in, might mean that that the city would be forced into redevelopment that they didnt want. The stadium could become condos and would not fit the OCP for the area.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Thanks for the info uk.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:Thanks for the info uk.
I absolutely love the Lions and the CFL but it would fukkin ridonkulous to spent half a billion dollars and not end up with at least a shitty NFL team if it was all about sports :D
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
I absolutely love the Lions and the CFL but it would fukkin ridonkulous to spent half a billion dollars and not end up with at least a shitty NFL team if it was all about sports :D
No doubt. I only wish the NFL would expand into Toronto and Vancouver.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
No doubt. I only wish the NFL would expand into Toronto and Vancouver.
i'd be okay with that if they found a way to not destroy the CFL in the process.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:If I recall the renovation on BC Place was also pushed up for the 2010 Olympics (that and it wasn't really safe to have anyone in the building anymore)
They started the reno in May 2010, BC Place had the old roof for the Olympics.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

roof repair...530m

new seattle complex 490m....??

new edmonton complex 450m

roof repair 530m... :wow:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

rats19 wrote:roof repair...530m

I'm no Cuntrstruction worker or nothing but dont renos and retro fittings always cost more than building new?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

ukcanuck wrote:
rats19 wrote:roof repair...530m

I'm no Cuntrstruction worker or nothing but dont renos and retro fittings always cost more than building new?
me neither but hell...tear the fucker down and build a new and save 90m something is wrong with this pictures...methinks
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Pretty sure BC Place is a different animal than the 18 000 seat arena they are planning for Edmonton.

And of course, comparing the final cost of one project to the budgeted cost for another... well, you know.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dbr wrote:Pretty sure BC Place is a different animal than the 18 000 seat arena they are planning for Edmonton.

And of course, comparing the final cost of one project to the budgeted cost for another... well, you know.
How about Cowboys Stadium versus BC Place 1.3 billion to 500 million....
It's kinda like Porsche v Volkswagen - the Porsche is three times as much but Volkswagen don't make bugs anymore...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:
Mëds wrote:If I recall the renovation on BC Place was also pushed up for the 2010 Olympics (that and it wasn't really safe to have anyone in the building anymore)
They started the reno in May 2010, BC Place had the old roof for the Olympics.
Ok. Thanks. Like I said, I don't pay much attention to anything surrounding the CFL.....
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Anybody else get the sense that UKCANUCK is pro BC Place roof renovation, $200 million dollars over budget from the original $365 million budget set by the BC Government? Costing the taxpayers in total $563 million dollars all in the name of a new roof on BC Place for the BC Lions 8 home games.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote: And of course, comparing the final cost of one project to the budgeted cost for another... well, you know.
How about Cowboys Stadium versus BC Place 1.3 billion to 500 million....
It's kinda like Porsche v Volkswagen - the Porsche is three times as much but Volkswagen don't make bugs anymore...[/quote]

And the Cowboys generate 10,000 times the revenue that the BC Lions do. You can justify building a stadium in big D where the team is one of the top 3 at worst in terms of popularity in terms of US sports franchises. The Dallas Cowboys shit money.

The Libs gave us a 530 million dollar coat of paint and a haircut to the giant whoolly mammoth that some folks call BC Place. If that isn't a colossal waste of taxpayers dollars , i don't kinow what is. FIVE HUNDRED AND THIRTY MILL for a 3rd rate football team in a bush league and a handful of washed up Las Vegas lounge lizards in the summer. I guess the Whitecaps play a few games there in their div 5 soccer league, and don't forget about the boat show.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”