What is Higgins Worth?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

What is Higgins Worth?

Post by Tciso »

Looking at our team, Higgins is the only quality forward (imo) that is not locked up past the end of this year. So, both to kill time during the lockout, and to have a good discussion, the question is what should we offer Higgins on a 2-3 year extensionl??

Personally, I see him as an adequate 2nd line forward with Kesler, and think we should lock him up for about $2.5m/season for a long term contract. He's a career 40 point guy, and at 29, the next 3 or 4 years should be his best. I could see other teams offering $3.5 to $4 if his contract expires and he has another "average" year.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: What is Higgins Worth?

Post by rats19 »

3-3.5 at todays rates...book him dano..:)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Let him walk at the end of the season. Coughing up 3 - 3.5 million on tweeners is not a good thing. I would like to see guys like Hansen, Jensen and Kassian take the next step(s) and progress through the lineup and I like Higgins. You can only have so many guys pulling down big jack ( 2.5 - 4 mill is big for a 3rd liner) and putting up 30 - 40 points. Then again if it was up to me I'd keep Higgins at 2.5 - 3 instead of Booth on his deal.I don't see this team carrying both of these players beyond next season.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I don't see this team carrying both of Higgins + Booth beyond next season.
Are you trying to make RD's... regard... for you go up? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

What's really sad is that you couldn't trade Booth + Ballard for Quinten Howden
If you need air...call it in
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I think 2-3 years at the same salary is ideal. Higgins has been a great fit here and is at home on the 3rd line. Otherwise, it's wait and see. Chances are, if Higgins puts up another 40+ point season he'll be looking at $2.8-3M and at that price I'll let him walk. Hopefully, Kassian can show that he can fill a top 6 role next season. Got to make room for the kids.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

It realy depends on the kind of season he has whenever they start playing again. He had some good streaks last season, but that's the thing - they were streaks. Not that many players shone in last year's playoffs, but he didn't and IMO it was the 2011 playoffs where he established his value to the team. Personally, if he turns in a better season than last, I'd give him a 2-year deal at $2.5-3 million.

He's like May Ray in that he looks like a viable possibility on the 2nd line when he plays on the 3rd line, but when he's on the 2nd line... the results don't really add up. So I agree with others here that the team has to start making space for the likes of Jensen, etc to get meaningful minutes.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Higgins value will be determined by the net CBA.

Higgins, with a 70 million dollar cap, and an average salary of 2.2 million will be paid about 2.8-3.2 million for the 'tweener line. (those 'intangibles' will be paid for)

Higgins with a 55 million dollar cap, will make about 2.5-2.8 million as a 2nd-3rd line 'tweener.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The thing I like about Higgins ( when he's healthy ) he seems to strive for consistency no matter where AV slots him. I like the guy. How much is he worth $2.5
cheers
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Fred wrote:The thing I like about Higgins ( when he's healthy ) he seems to strive for consistency no matter where AV slots him. I like the guy. How much is he worth $2.5-3m
:D
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I like Higgins, probably the best out of that group of veteran forwards the Canucks have expiring after this season who are all more or less replaceable (Higgins, Malhotra, Raymond, Lapierre)... but he is still definitely part of that group.

I'd give him a marginal raise over what he's making now but if he's getting offers for close to twice what he's earning and expects the Canucks to match I sure hope they don't.

Hopefully by the start of next year Schroeder and Jensen are in the league and that means we've got the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Hansen, Booth, Kassian, Jensen and Schroeder - that's a full top nine group so we don't need to be overpaying guys with limited potential in that case.

In that case we don't need anyone from that group of players but re-signing Higgins and Lapierre would give us a couple of dependable vets that can slot into a few different roles and do it reasonably well.

I probably wouldn't go over $2.5m for Higgins with a $70m cap - of course, if the cap is at that level on June 30 2013.. well let's just say I'm not expecting that.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

dbr wrote:I like Higgins, probably the best out of that group of veteran forwards the Canucks have expiring after this season who are all more or less replaceable (Higgins, Malhotra, Raymond, Lapierre)... but he is still definitely part of that group.
Am I the only one who thinks Lapierre is a keeper and hard to replace?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

FAN wrote:
dbr wrote:I like Higgins, probably the best out of that group of veteran forwards the Canucks have expiring after this season who are all more or less replaceable (Higgins, Malhotra, Raymond, Lapierre)... but he is still definitely part of that group.
nope
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

FAN wrote:
You must have missed the part of my post where I said I'd prefer to keep Lapierre. :)

I like Lapierre and I would happily take him at a million dollars over whatever is generally out there in the UFA market in a given offseason - or over what's in the Canucks system right now if we're talking about the fourth line. At $1.5m I'd still take him without thinking twice.

What if he hits unrestricted free agency and is getting offers for $1.75m or even $2m? At that point there are comparable hockey players out there signing for less (Gregory Campbell or Jay McClement last year, Max Talbot, Marcel Goc or Vern Fiddler the year before). A year from now we could be talking about Alex Friesen or Brendan Gaunce as potential options for that matter.

My point isn't that Lapierre is a plug that any journeyman NHLer could replace.. my point is that he's not an essential player and that teams shouldn't overpay for guys like that unless they are the last piece of the puzzle.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Hmm... I guess my other question is... does anyone want Lappy to be the team's 3rd line center? I think he's a solid option and capable of being a good option. But he's a bit offensively limited.

Since this is a Higgins thread, does anyone want Higgins to be the team's 2nd line winger? I prefer him on the third line and will take less production (12-15 goals ~30 points).