Dan Cloutier signs with the Canucks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Dan Cloutier signs with the Canucks

Post by Cornuck »

...as a goaltending consultant... :?

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=642167
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Dan Cloutier signs with the Canucks

Post by Tciso »

Cornuck wrote:...as a goaltending consultant... :?

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=642167
Damn near had a heart attack until I read the consultant part. As a side note, is the new CBA contemplating replacing the puck with a beach ball? If not, I fear the 5-hole.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

lack could show clouts how to stop a puck...suup here anyways???
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Luongo leaves Clouts returns...
Even in jest it's not funny
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Dan Cloutier was once a core player for your Vancouver Canucks...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:Dan Cloutier was once a core player for your Vancouver Canucks...
Haunted by the spectre of braindead burke...:(
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

What happened to Melanson?

Wow, forgive me if I doubt a hothead like Cloutier ever paid attention to the finer points of modern goaltending...

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Maybe Clouts will revolutionize goaltender performance with his innovative training techniques like mma striking, anger mis-management and beachball exercises to sharpen the reflexes.

I suppose it could have been worse... they could have hired Felix Potvin to "consult".
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I would of liked to see Captain Kirk here as a goaltending coach, but I think he's working for Dallas or something. But then again maybe Mclean's stand up approach might not be best in this era.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i just soiled my pants...a little...
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I think this is a good signing and good for the Canucks for bringing Cloutier back into the fold. You can tell he really appreciated the fans here when he attended Naslund's jersey retirement ceremony. Hopefully, Clouts has hit the books a bit and learned more about the goaltending position. There are a lot of goaltending coaches who weren't elite goaltenders in the NHL. Corey Hirsch seems to be doing fine as a goaltending coach.

Cloutier will bring another set of eyes and he'll probably be the guy to travel around and check in on our prospects, scout a little bit, review game tapes, and be in communication with our prospects on a day to day/game to game basis. I think Cloutier is based in Ontario now and he can speak French so he's conveniently located. Maybe Gillis saw a little bit of him in Cloutier. Former first round pick... high expectations... played in the NHL... didn't exactly meet expectations... career cut short by injuries. Fans might think of Cloutier as a bit of a joke, but he does have a lot of experience he can share with the kids.

Edit: Apparently he worked as a goaltending consultant for the Barrie Colts last year. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le4567996/
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Clouts will be fine. He's not a coach, he's a consultant. Big difference. He'll be paid for his opinion and "evaluations".

He was a good goaltender for Vancouver. He let in one disasterous goal during the playoffs and his confidence eroded. It worsened with each and every injury, and since he never really got to come back from that Lidstrom floater thanks to injuries, well he never got to shake the cobwebs out of his head for more than a handful of games before he was sidelined again. Enter the goaltending shuffle at the end of the Crawford/Burke/Nonis era and then Louie showed up. After that he was off to LA with Crow again. He struggled there in part due to confidence and time away from the game and also, according to him at the time, trying to adjust to the fact that LA management insisted he wear a modern mask instead of his preferred cage and helmet.

He is more than savvy enough to be observing our goaltenders and other goaltenders and pointing out weaknesses in their game at which point the goaltending COACH can address any issues that need fixing.

Always loved Clouts. A total battler.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Cloutier got injured at the worst times. He was actually playing great in the series against Calgary and I thought it was the year he shakes off his reputation for bad playoffs and then he blew out his knee. Another problem is that every time Cloutier got injured it took him a long-time to get back to form. And then when he gets into form he gets injured again. In the end, the injuries piled up and it was sad the way Cloutier's career ended the way it did.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

How can you not love this guy!

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

At the State of the franchise evening he was on the ice with Melanson working with the golaie prospects, kind of made you wonder when he would join the ranks
cheers