Oils owner in seattle....?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Oils owner in seattle....?

Post by rats19 »

Can some who Is not on a phone...do some homework on this. I even heard gretzkey was with him. Looking at proposed arena...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Oils owner in seattle....?

Post by okcanuck »

If hes in Seattle I bet its a ploy to squeeze more money out of the Edmonton taxpayers. The proposed arena in Edmonton should be totally private money.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I was hoping for some Intel.....but an opinion Is something I guess :roll:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:I was hoping for some Intel.....but an opinion Is something I guess :roll:
With plans for a new arena in doubt, the Edmonton Oilers say they are keeping their options open.

Oilers owner Daryl Katz, team president Patrick LaForge and president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe were in Seattle on Monday for meetings about a possible relocation to the city.

The Oilers said in a statement that they still hope to reach a deal with Edmonton on a new arena. But with talks at an impasse and the team’s current lease at aging Rexall Place set to expire in 2014, the Oilers have begun to look elsewhere.

“As the City of Edmonton is aware, the Katz Group has been listening to proposals from a number of potential NHL markets for some time,” the statement read. “After more than four years of trying to secure an arena deal and with less than 24 months remaining on the Oilers’ lease at Rexall Place, this is only prudent and should come as no surprise.”

The team added it would not comment on discussions with other potential markets.

The visit by Oilers brass came the same day that Seattle City Council approved hedge-fund manager Chris Hansen’s plan for a US$490-million arena that both sides hope will be home to an NBA and NHL team.

Seattle’s hockey market is limited to the Western Hockey League’s Thunderbirds. The city hasn’t had a professional team since the Metropolitans, who won a Stanley Cup in 1917, were disbanded in 1924.

The Oilers and the City of Edmonton had agreed on plans for a proposed $475-million cost-shared arena that would begin construction early next year.

But the arena and the Oilers’ future in Edmonton were thrown into doubt earlier this month when the team told city councillors it wanted millions of dollars in new concessions from taxpayers.

That prompted Mayor Stephen Mandel to ask Katz to appear before council in a public session to explain the new demands, but Oilers owner declined.

The original deal for a new 18,400-seat arena in Edmonton was agreed to last October and was to be funded mostly by taxpayers.

The city would have paid $125-million, although councillors have since been told that land sales and interest will boost that figure to more than $300-million. That number also doesn’t include millions more in transportation development.

The Oilers were to pay operating costs for the facility along with $5.5-million a year for 35 years to help fund construction. In return, the team was to get all profits from Oilers games, trade shows and concerts for 11 months out of the year, along with naming rights worth an estimated $1-million annually.

The team would have also received $20-million over 10 years from the city for advertising.

Councillors were told in a closed door meeting Katz wants $6-million per year from taxpayers to offset the cost of running the building, along with other concessions.

When details of the meeting were leaked to the public, Katz said the $6-million was always part of the deal.

“To suggest I tried to change the deal at the last minute is really unfortunate,” Katz told a sports radio show.

Councillors disagreed, noting the subsidy clause is not part of the original agreement.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le4565634/

yur welcome Rodentii 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

TSN:
Oilers owner Daryl Katz led a group of team brass on a tour of Seattle's KeyArena on Monday, sparking speculation that he may move the team out West if he doesn't get an arena deal finalized in Edmonton.

Katz and other Oilers brass – including team president and COO Patrick LaForge and president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe - toured the city's multipurpose arena that housed the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics until 2008 when the team left for Oklahoma City.

"I can confirm that Daryl Katz, Patrick LaForge, Kevin Lowe and others from the Oilers leadership group are in Seattle for meetings and to attend the Seahawks game," executive vice president of the Edmonton Arena Corporation for the Katz Group Bob Black said in a statement issued Monday night.

"We remain committed to working with City Administration to achieve a deal commensurate with what Winnipeg and Pittsburgh have done to sustain the NHL in those small markets. If we can achieve such a deal, the Oilers will remain in Edmonton and we can get on with the important work of developing the new arena and investing in the continued revitalization of Edmonton's downtown core.

Nonetheless, and as the City of Edmonton is aware, the Katz Group has been listening to proposals from a number of potential NHL markets for some time. After more than four years of trying to secure an arena deal and with less than 24 months remaining on the Oilers' lease at Rexall Place, this is only prudent and should come as no surprise.

We are extremely grateful to Oilers' fans for their patience and loyalty as we work through this process towards what we sincerely hope will be a long and successful future for the Oilers in Edmonton. We have no further comment on the status of our discussions with other markets at this time."

The news comes on the heels of reports that Katz was frustrated with Edmonton city council over stalled negotiations for a new arena in Edmonton.

Speaking to the Edmonton Journal last week, Katz said, "What's come out of the city over the past several days, to be frank, is unfair, untrue and totally counterproductive if what we're trying to do is secure the Oilers' future in Edmonton and have us participate in the development of a new arena and sports entertainment district."
Last edited by ukcanuck on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

CBS sports:
When Wayne Gretzky was spotted by the cameras on YES Network on Wednesday in Seattle shaking hands with Derek Jeter during a Yankees-Mariners game, it appeared to be just two outstanding champion athletes saying "No, you're the best!"

But upon further review, Gretzky might have just been taking in a game at Safeco Field while he just so happened to already be in town. Now why would Gretzky, who has no ties to Seattle that I know of, be in Seattle? Having grown up there I can tell you it's absolutely beautiful this time of year so it's entirely possible it was just a vacation.

Or, as KJR Sports Radio personality Dave Softy Mahler reported, the conspiracy theorists were right: Gretzky was there to talk hockey.

Dave Softy Mahler@Softykjr
Breaking Arena News: Confirmed Wayne Gretzky in town, set to meet with Bellevue officials about NHL possibilities.
25 Jul 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
The Bellevue Reporter had a little more to add to the growing fire with Gretzky's visit to the Northwest.

A source close to the situation said talks between Bellevue and suitors for an NHL arena have been ongoing, but the source did not want to go into any particular individuals.

"There are people working on it," the source said.

But no proposals have been turned in, the source said. Were an arena plan to materialize, no Bellevue dollars, not even in the form of bond financing, would be included, the source added. Anything else is a non starter. This position has been echoed in the past by Bellevue officials.

It's important to note that this is different than the more publicized effort to get an NBA and NHL arena in Seattle that is led by Chris Hanson. He is trying to convince county politicians to go along with his $500 million arena proposal for a new arena south of downtown Seattle, more than half of it privately financed. Seattle's neighbor city across the lake of Bellevue is lurking in case that plan doesn't go through to take advantage.

In fact, before Hanson's proposal came forth there was some chatter about an arena going up in Bellevue. Chicago Wolves owner Dan Levin was linked to the chatter then and his interest was bringing the NHL to the Seattle area.

And how exactly does Gretzky fit into all of this? Well he does have experience on the ownership side of hockey, even if it's not positive. He was involved with the Phoenix Coyotes and, well, I think we all know how that turned out.

But, and this is just pure speculation on my part, Gretzky is as great an ambassador as there is for the sport. What better way to convince politicians in an area that has never had an NHL team (but it does have a Stanley Cup thanks to the 1917 Seattle Metropolitans) that hockey is a great sport? Even people who don't know a puck from a burnt biscuit know how Wayne Gretzky is. He's the Great One!

If there was any doubt that the Seattle area is indeed serious about getting an arena for the NBA's return and the NHL's arrival then this should help end that, even if it's unknown in what capacity Gretzky is involved, if he is even, in fact, involved.

For more hockey news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnHockey and @StubitsCBS on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

Tags: Phoenix Coyotes, NHL
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Now that's Intel.....Thnx guys..

So gretzky was there Independant of katz..interesting, looks like either one of our rivals may move closer or we may get a new rival in a couple years...

The seattle coyotes....nah...bluejackets...nah..panthers...hmm.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

rats19 wrote:Now that's Intel.....Thnx guys..

So gretzky was there Independant of katz..interesting, looks like either one of our rivals may move closer or we may get a new rival in a couple years...

The seattle coyotes....nah...bluejackets...nah..panthers...hmm.
if it happens its gotta be the Mets... :)
then we wont be the only ones with a cup from when they used strap on blades and hand knitted sweaters....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

That's romantic.....nastalgically anyways...we are not the millionaires.... :idea:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

rats19 wrote:That's romantic.....nastalgically anyways...we are not the millionaires.... :idea:
Yeah I realised that as I pressed submit. Perhaps they should have resurrected that name in 1970, maybe we would have another cup by now? kharma and feng shui and all that.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

This is a combination of a lack of arena and the owners/management finally recognizing that it's time to move somewhere that star players are going to want to come to.

I'm not sure if I believe Katz or the city on the subject of Katz's group suddenly wanting more concessions from taxpayers. Katz says it was always part of the deal, the city says it's new. Likely the city is lying because they don't want to pony up the dough but don't want to feel the wrath of Edmontonians when the team moves and their beloved Oilers are gone.

What will they put on the sign then? Welcome to Edmonton The City of Departed Champions?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:This is a combination of a lack of arena and the owners/management finally recognizing that it's time to move somewhere that star players are going to want to come to.

I'm not sure if I believe Katz or the city on the subject of Katz's group suddenly wanting more concessions from taxpayers. Katz says it was always part of the deal, the city says it's new. Likely the city is lying because they don't want to pony up the dough but don't want to feel the wrath of Edmontonians when the team moves and their beloved Oilers are gone.

What will they put on the sign then? Welcome to Edmonton The City of Departed Champions?
Another Canadian City of Victimized Fans?

Do you think the taxpayers of Edmonton will be happy with the city if it actually hands that fucker a stadium and the contract to run it with public money? I kinda thought that it was well known that people are generally against that sort of thing. you know what with the shortage of classrooms and hospital beds?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

rats19 wrote:That's romantic.....nastalgically anyways...we are not the millionaires.... :idea:
Probably would have been a better name though, considering that not all players are truly Canucks, but they are certainly millionaires...
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Does anyone here seriously think that the NHL will allow the Oilers to move anywhere. Aint gonna happen.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

okcanuck wrote:Does anyone here seriously think that the NHL will allow the Oilers to move anywhere. Aint gonna happen.
97.5% no