Locked Out - get it right this time

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Locked Out - get it right this time

Post by wafflecombine »

ClamRussel wrote:
Tiger wrote: Love to see the NHL break the f*ing union and bring costs and ticket prices down.. ( YES IT COULD BE DONE)
You really think they would ever drop prices? Never happen. Thats like saying companies who save from the HST would have "passed on the savings" to the consumer. Right. If they break the union they'll take their new found profit margin & run. Only way ticket prices come down is if fans stay away. Supply & demand.
Clam is 100% right. Case and point can be demonstrated by the elimination of the various hidden taxes back in the 1980s in favour of the GST... surprise surprise... prices didn't move a millimetre. Companies simply grabbed the difference and padded profit margins.

The only way to bring ticket prices down is to stop buying tickets... a hard thing to comtemplate when Roger's Arena alone is at what? 400+consecutive sellouts?

Only the Boston Red Sox (700) and Dallas Mavericks (437) have longer sellout records according to TheSportMarket.biz

Supply & demand :)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

If the owners get what they're asking, a reduction of around 10% it would be nice but I suspect naive to think tickets will follow suit by the same figure Terrible when you think about it
cheers
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

my small company was able to save and passed it on to customers
small buisness does not work the same way as the big corporations. What works for the small owner will not be noticed in the billion dollar companies.

not saying your comment was bad or anything, just pointing out it was not an accurate comparision. apples and oranges.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Fred wrote:If the owners get what they're asking, a reduction of around 10% it would be nice but I suspect naive to think tickets will follow suit by the same figure Terrible when you think about it
logically speaking, if the players gave back 10 percent and the owners passed the savings on to the public then wouldn't they still be going out of business as they claim?

Never mind hockey tickets, can anyone point to one thing that's gone backward in price over the years?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

ukcanuck wrote:
Fred wrote:If the owners get what they're asking, a reduction of around 10% it would be nice but I suspect naive to think tickets will follow suit by the same figure Terrible when you think about it
logically speaking, if the players gave back 10 percent and the owners passed the savings on to the public then wouldn't they still be going out of business as they claim?

Never mind hockey tickets, can anyone point to one thing that's gone backward in price over the years?
US housing market... :sly:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Uranium

http://www.uxc.com/review/uxc_PriceChar ... -u3o8-full

The price of crude was at $145 in 2008....now not so much

Computers

Hey when you think about there's quite a number of things that have fallen in price. At one time a hand held calculator...nothing special was worth $500+ :D
cheers
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Electronics...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Natural gas prices. Lots of people signed long term contract with gas marketers in 2008 when prices were closed to $10 per GJ. Now, the prices are below $3 per GJ.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

in the immediate past. I see that spammers have been greatly reduced.... 8-)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Jovocop wrote:Natural gas prices. Lots of people signed long term contract with gas marketers in 2008 when prices were closed to $10 per GJ. Now, the prices are below $3 per GJ.
:oops:
cheers
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

ukcanuck wrote:

TVs, computers, basically all household electronics, and if you adjust for inflation you can probably add clothes and most types of food to that list as well.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote: Want to control salary inflation? Simple, make every player an UFA. Flood the market, when your contract is done you are UFA and now every player is competing for a job under the same terms. Supply and demand.
i like this idea. Get rid of the price fixing cartel, and there's no need for a CBA. Each player negotiates his salary with any number of teams and plays where he wants. The free market will ensure that salaries are a fair reflection of their value and teams can pay according to what their budget allows and get exactly the type of players they are willing to pay for. No longer back room deals rewarding crappy teams with prime prospects. I like! Supply and demand, like nature intended. 8-)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Per wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Want to control salary inflation? Simple, make every player an UFA. Flood the market, when your contract is done you are UFA and now every player is competing for a job under the same terms. Supply and demand.
i like this idea. Get rid of the price fixing cartel, and there's no need for a CBA. Each player negotiates his salary with any number of teams and plays where he wants. The free market will ensure that salaries are a fair reflection of their value and teams can pay according to what their budget allows and get exactly the type of players they are willing to pay for. No longer back room deals rewarding crappy teams with prime prospects. I like! Supply and demand, like nature intended. 8-)
I would be on board with that too. Except isn't that the way pro Footy works and the best teams are not necessarily in the same league each year? I confess I been Ol Blighty nearly 5 years and I'm still confused...

It would be interesting though if it did work out that the biggest hockey markets in the world could compete instead of Columbus v Tampa Bay...

an aside....a buddy of mine was telling me that the year Tampa won the cup, he was in Florida that spring just after they had won it, visiting his american mother in law. To get away from his wife and the old battle axe he took the kids to the local mall where he wandered into a sports apparel store, you know the kind with jerseys and memento's collectibles etc...anyway the ONLY thng remotely connected to hockey in that shop was a dusty framed picture of Gordie Howe in a remote corner of the back wall... it wasn't even apparent that it was for sale...
Tampa Bay Lightening Stanley Cup Champions stuff? nada ...

Why again is anyone bothering to save these teams??
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Per wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

TVs, computers, basically all household electronics, and if you adjust for inflation you can probably add clothes and most types of food to that list as well.
I don't know if I agree with that... food is cheaper in England than Canada and better too, (in most cases) North American Beef is better but Produce, fruits, and Veg are way cheaper and awesome by comparison.

But electronics only seem to go down in price when the next bigger better version comes along.

clothes are ridiculously cheap if you get them at walmart or Primark but dont plan on wearing it more than twice. maybe three washings on some stuff. The good quality stuff, real leather shoes for example is not one penny cheaper than they have always been

Commodities like gas and petrol...I guess they fluctuate but at the pump or at the meter? Gas in this country is so expensive you need a bank loan to have it billed to you. otherwise its pay as you go gas cards and 4 pounds a gallon at the pump...

In BC gasoline is about 1.20-1.30 a litre and its been steadily rising with the odd fluctuation for years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

ukcanuck wrote: I don't know if I agree with that... food is cheaper in England than Canada and better too, (in most cases) North American Beef is better but Produce, fruits, and Veg are way cheaper and awesome by comparison.

But electronics only seem to go down in price when the next bigger better version comes along.

clothes are ridiculously cheap if you get them at walmart or Primark but dont plan on wearing it more than twice. maybe three washings on some stuff. The good quality stuff, real leather shoes for example is not one penny cheaper than they have always been

Commodities like gas and petrol...I guess they fluctuate but at the pump or at the meter? Gas in this country is so expensive you need a bank loan to have it billed to you. otherwise its pay as you go gas cards and 4 pounds a gallon at the pump...

In BC gasoline is about 1.20-1.30 a litre and its been steadily rising with the odd fluctuation for years.
My first computer, a 386 with a 40 Mb hard drive and an 11 inch screen, cost me SEK 15,000, a bargain at the time. Today I can get a far better computer for a fifth of that, and then I haven't even adjusted for inflation.

When we bought our 50 inch Sony Bravia TV (I dunno, five years ago?) it was marked down at half price, and we paid (again) roughly 15,000. This week I saw an add for. 60 inch plasma for 8,000.

Electronics have become so cheap it's ridiculous.

SEK 10 is roughly CAD 1.50, or CAD 1 = SEK 6.70. I think the pound stands at roughly SEK 11 and the Euro at SEK 8.