Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by FAN »

RoyalDude wrote:What the fuck is Gillis doing for fuck sakes. Is their anybody driving the Canuck bus right now?
The Canuck bus has been held up, and Gillis is busy meeting with Colin Campbell and several other GMs in hopes of removing the interference.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

One of the best goalies not playing in NHL. Jealous of this organization as my own seems to get countless top 10 draft picks including first overall several years running and we don't seem to be going anywhere. Hat's off to an organization with strong mangagement that I wish we had.
This is a quote by an Oilers fan after reading that Gillis extended Lack. :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I rank Mike Gillis' work this off-season, on a scale of 10, at approximately 1.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:I rank Mike Gillis' work this off-season, on a scale of 10, at approximately 1.

aaaannnnndd the next time you're right will be the first time in a while anyways.

Gillis is a 3-4 / 10 . Pisses me off he thought Tanner Glass was the answer to the 4th line shitshow.....pisses me off more that he duffed his drive on Justin Schultz. Doan and Weber were nice dreams and not his fault..........well not entirely.

Gillis has huge eye bags and I have no idea why because he seems to catch a lot of naps on the job.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Gillis is a 3-4 / 10 . Pisses me off he thought Tanner Glass was the answer to the 4th line shitshow.....pisses me off more that he duffed his drive on Justin Schultz. Doan and Weber were nice dreams and not his fault..........well not entirely.

Gillis has huge eye bags and I have no idea why because he seems to catch a lot of naps on the job.
It hasn't been a good summer for Gillis. He made the same offer as the Penguins for Glass and lost out. He made a better offer to Doan than Phoenix and lost out. He made the same offer for Schultz (money wise) and lost out. He did manage to sign Garrison which helps, but...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Ewwww, Gillis tried to get Glass back? Why? *LOL*

Can't blame Tanner for signing with Pittsburgh though, with Sid and Malkin, they probably have a better chance @ a cup and Tanner was in the doghouse a bit for the later part of his time here (that playoff run). Plus, it rains too much here, he'd probably rather go freeze his ass off in Pitts. :lol:

FAN wrote:He made the same offer as the Penguins for Glass and lost out.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

FAN wrote: He made a better offer to Doan than Phoenix and lost out.
I have heard the Canucks offered Doan 4 years at 20 and I also read that they offered him an identical deal to the one Alex Burrows signed. No way in hell they offered 6.5- 7.5 a year over four years as some psycopaths on this board would have you believe.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I rank Mike Gillis' work this off-season, on a scale of 10, at approximately 1.

aaaannnnndd the next time you're right will be the first time in a while anyways.

Gillis is a 3-4 / 10 . Pisses me off he thought Tanner Glass was the answer to the 4th line shitshow.....pisses me off more that he duffed his drive on Justin Schultz. Doan and Weber were nice dreams and not his fault..........well not entirely.

Well I'm not really sure what people expected him to do and who they expected him to sign.....

Weber? Not for the money that Weber was offerred by Philly and Nashville matched. None of us would have been OK with that.

Parise and Suter? It is pretty clear that they wanted to play together and that they got massively overpaid by Minnesota. Even the guy who paid them thinks it was too much.

Doan? Well he stayed in Phoenix, and if Gillis offerred him more and Doan still stayed in the dessert, well nothing Gillis can do there.

Glass? Yeah I'm laughing at that one. He got lucky that Glass went elsewhere.

Too bad about Schultz, but I don't think any GM is going to get much done when you have Paul Coffey and Wayne Gretzky making phone calls and influencing a player. I wonder if that could have been construed as tampering.....

Garrison is a nice addition, but when you consider that he WANTED to come home to play in Vancouver, well good on Gillis for not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I no more credit Gillis for the signing than I would discredit Tallon for not retaining him.

I read a pile of bitching, especially from RD, but I really haven't heard much in the way of what Gillis should have done or who he should have signed.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I know it's popular to put Garrison on a kind of pedestal by many. But how many actual times have you watched the guy play ?

I can't recall ever watching him. I did see Ballard and was expecting a good player. I watched him with PHX and quite admired his style and grit, .......but it didn't work out. I hope Garrison fulfills evey ones expectations but I don't have enourmous faith in the Cnaucks Pro scouts to be honest
cheers
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Fred wrote:I know it's popular to put Garrison on a kind of pedestal by many. But how many actual times have you watched the guy play ?

I can't recall ever watching him. I did see Ballard and was expecting a good player. I watched him with PHX and quite admired his style and grit, .......but it didn't work out. I hope Garrison fulfills evey ones expectations but I don't have enourmous faith in the Cnaucks Pro scouts to be honest
lol can't argue there, :shock:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:I know it's popular to put Garrison on a kind of pedestal by many. But how many actual times have you watched the guy play ?

Fantastic post Fred! Dudes like Mëds fall under the category 'Love Is Blind'. He loves Gillis and for that he is blind to his constant blunderings when it comes to making HIS mark on the team, ie adding HIS own players to the Canuck mix instead of just living off of re-signing previous managements players. Gillis transaction action over the last 5 years of his existence here is in itself a tipping of his hat to previous managements workings. Other than Hamhius, who the fuck has Gillis brought to the player that you would call a CORE player? The jury is still out on Garrison and Tanev.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

RoyalDude wrote:

Fantastic post Fred! Dudes like Mëds fall under the category 'Love Is Blind'. He loves Gillis and for that he is blind to his constant blunderings when it comes to making HIS mark on the team, ie adding HIS own players to the Canuck mix instead of just living off of re-signing previous managements players. Gillis transaction action over the last 5 years of his existence here is in itself a tipping of his hat to previous managements workings. Other than Hamhius, who the fuck has Gillis brought to the player that you would call a CORE player? The jury is still out on Garrison and Tanev.

you cant use the words "Canucks scouts" and professional in the same book...worst scouts in the league...
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

who the fuck has Gillis brought to the player that you would call a CORE player? The jury is still out on Garrison and Tanev.
RD, your Chunky soup is reaaaddy.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Fantastic post Fred! Dudes like Mëds fall under the category 'Love Is Blind'. He loves Gillis and for that he is blind to his constant blunderings when it comes to making HIS mark on the team, ie adding HIS own players to the Canuck mix instead of just living off of re-signing previous managements players. Gillis transaction action over the last 5 years of his existence here is in itself a tipping of his hat to previous managements workings. Other than Hamhius, who the fuck has Gillis brought to the player that you would call a CORE player? The jury is still out on Garrison and Tanev.
:lol:

As usual the dude thinks that just because someone doesn't see things exactly his way, and doesn't share his opinion that GMMG's moves have all been mistakes, they are blinded by some kind of fan love. Even when someone actually detracts from a potentially good move or two that Gillis did make.....of course RD can't read so good. I didn't say that Gillis has brought in any core players. In fact I would agree that he hasn't, though Malhotra was a character/role player part of the core prior to his injury.

I think the Garrison move is a good one, but again, the jury is out until we see how he performs. I also don't think that it's a move that makes Gillis some kind of GM god. I said as much.....but as usual feel free to ignore that and continue to fire up complaints without any idea of what should have been done.

I defended the Booth move, and still do. A guy needs a full season, or at least a season that isn't broken up by injury to be given a fair shake. Booth was just looking like he had found a bit of a niche on this team when he went knee on knee and ended up sidelined. Jury is out. He doesn't have great defensive instincts, but he's still a guy that loves to power to the net and put the puck on goal. I agree, he's not a core player.

So there are two moves that he made that were good but didn't pan out due to unforseen injuries that occurred after he acquired the players.

And really, when it comes to acquiring new players via trade or FA, you just never know. A couple of classic examples of this from our beloved franchises checkered past are Felix "The Cat" Potvin and Mark Messier.

Potvin was amazing for the Maple leaves, he then struggled to start the season and ended up on Long Island and struggled there for the remainder of 98/99 (truth be told he only played 16 games that year for both teams) and was little better the following year and ended up splitting between the Islanders and the Canucks. His numbers improved quite dramatically after being dealt to Vancouver but then dropped right off again the next year. He was dealt mid season to the LA Kings where his game turned around again and he posted quite respectable numbers until he retired 4 years later.

Messier was amazing with the Oilers and had a great 10 seasons, that included a Cup, with the Rangers. He, in tandem with coach Mike Keenan, was a total bust in Vancouver.

Some others.....

Some would argue that Ed Jovanovski enjoyed the best years of his career in a Canucks jersey, moved on for bigger dollars and never really regained his form or lived up to the billing.

Dan Cloutier was pretty lack lustre until he landed in Vancouver. He then took off. He was plagued by injuries and villified for the "Lidstrom goal". But ultimately a complete 3rd rate goaltender everywhere but with the Vancouver Canucks.

Jeff Carter was great in Philly, a disaster in Columbus, but then a key component of LA's playoff success last year.

Wade Redden had some stellar years with Ottawa. He now plays in the AHL after signing for massive money with the Rangers.

Scott Gomez earned his stripes with the Devils, now, two teams later, he is likely the most overpaid player in the NHL with the Habs.

Cristobol Huet shone with the Canadiens, Chicago pounced on him and ended up regretting the decision.

The Islanders went hard after Yashin.....that sure panned out.

So you really just can't tell what will happen.

I'm not defending Gillis' moves and endorsing them all, I'm just saying that I'm not really sure what his other options were. I've yet to see him look a gift horse in the mouth, and we have seen several moves that looked promising but flopped badly.

Regardless, I'm still waiting for you to tell me who he SHOULD HAVE PICKED UP. Nobody cares about your petty whining in regards to players he has acquired, let's hear what you think he SHOULD have done.

So offer up something of substance that follows up your bitching with some options that Gillis missed out on for lack of trying. Until you do, you're little better than a regular troll.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Mëds said :
Regardless, I'm still waiting for you to tell me who he SHOULD HAVE PICKED UP. Nobody cares about your petty whining in regards to players he has acquired, let's hear what you think he SHOULD have done.
Would have liked to see Gillis a lot more pro active .. but not a lot of UFA's that would be a good fit..
Still think he should have picekd up Semin.. Guy's got the talent and might have panned out here.. 7 mill gamble for a 1 year contract ? A lot better than bringing in an older player whose stats are declining ( Doan )..
Garrison ?? dunno.. Let Salo and Rome go and hope he can replace them?.. Might happen but I doubl it.. Ran into Willie Mitchell up island .. showing off the SC... Gillis lowballed him after his injury and he ended up in LA.. had a great playoff..

Now that the team core is aging its imperative that they bring in ( or develop ) some good younger players to take up the slack.. With kesler coming back ( again ) from an injury and the Sedin's slowing down a tad this season the Canucks don't look like a contender for the Stanley.. Hopefully Gillis can get a decent return for Luongo and make a couple good trades duing the year..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice