Prospects Thread 2012-13

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Prospects Thread 2012-13

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote: For the second time I'm hoping Archibald comes in a blows every ones socks off and makes the team :D we could do with a power forward like him clicking

Yes lets pull for the underdog only...the basset hound/chow cross with three legs, one eye, a busted tail and rotten teeth. Fuck the pure bread we gave up a former 1st rounder for, because I didn't like that trade so I hope he fails just so I can say I was right on a message board.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Highlights Brynas 4 AIK 3

Jensen (#46 in black) scores his first SEL goal at 1:20, deflecting in a point shot while standing right in front of the net on a powerplay.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fred wrote: For the second time I'm hoping Archibald comes in a blows every ones socks off and makes the team :D we could do with a power forward like him clicking

Yes lets pull for the underdog only...the basset hound/chow cross with three legs, one eye, a busted tail and rotten teeth. Fuck the pure bread we gave up a former 1st rounder for, because I didn't like that trade so I hope he fails just so I can say I was right on a message board.
That's not the reason I want Archibald to suceed...we just need as many power forwards that we can get our hands on. He was a big mean dude in junior i want him to play that way in the AHL then the NHL
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

That's not the reason I want Archibald to suceed...we just need as many power forwards that we can get our hands on. He was a big mean dude in junior i want him to play that way in the AHL then the NHL
I agree.... if Archie can play i'd like to see him get a chance in the AHL and start cutting his teeth. He did have a ppg in the ECHL so there could be hope.

I have taken over Zack Kassian's public relations dept. lately, moreso because guys like the Dude and others who know better have cut the guy zero slack and seem to throw rocks at him at every turn.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
I have taken over Zack Kassian's public relations dept. lately, moreso because guys like the Dude and others who know better have cut the guy zero slack and seem to throw rocks at him at every turn.
Well you can't call me bulbous headed over this one Blob, I'm with you on Kassian, I see no reason why with proper mentor ship he clearly hasn't been getting in Buffalo, the guy could be just what we are looking for and should have every chance to succeed. although lately, I'll leave the PR to you. 8-)
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Looks like this thread will clearly be the place to be in the next while. Just have to keep reminding myself that there is hockey to follow even if the billionaires and millionaires can't get along.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

The CHL season kicks off tonight, although the teams for Canucks fans to watch: Belleville (Gaunce), Sudbury (Corrado), Kitchener (McEneny), and Cape Breton (Honzik), don't play their first games until tomorrow.

Then on Friday Sept 28 the AHL training camp starts, first games on Oct 7.

ECHL also begins training camp on Sept 28, with the first game on Oct 3.

The NCAA season begins Oct 12-13, where the Canucks have quite a few prospects to follow:

Matt Beattie - Yale
Ben Hutton - Maine
Wesley Myron - Boston University
Patrick McNally - Harvard
Joseph Labate - Wisonsin
Jeremy Price - Colgate

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

More Captains!

Frank Corrado

excerpt:
It was made official on Wednesday, when Sudbury head coach Trent Cull announced Corrado as his captain for 2012-13.
He'll wear the C when the Wolves open the regular season against the Oshawa Generals on Friday, while defencemen Justin Sefton and Charlie Dodero and forward Josh Leivo will each have an A as alternate captains.
“It's an honour,” Corrado said. “I'm very happy. It's a privilege to be captain and it feels good to know the coaches look to you as a leader on the team.”

Cull, Corrado's coach for two of his three years in the OHL, said what lifted Corrado to the head of the Pack was his commitment to both his career and his team.
“He has done such a great job with the way he has positioned himself,” Cull said. “Here's a young man who had an opportunity after we made some trades to move some older D and he really made strides on the ice. Then he was drafted in the fifth round, but went and worked his butt off all summer, had a great camp and got himself signed. So he knows he's got some security there, that he has something there waiting for him, but when he comes back here, he's all about the team. He's not worried about points, about goals or assists, just about being a great team guy. He talks to everyone in the room, young and old, and on the ice he does a great job in all situations.”

Cull's choice of captain came as no surprise to Wolves general manager Blaine Smith.
“Frankie was always a quiet leader for us, the type of guy who does so much behind the scenes,” Smith said. “Stuff that not everyone notices, like talking to players who we draft or players who attend our orientation. He's a tremendous ambassador for the Wolves, calling players and talking to them and encouraging them to come here and play. That speaks to his personality and to his ability as a leader.

Jeremy Price

excerpt:
Colgate also named its captains for the 2012-13 season and all three are blueliners. Thomas Larkin will be a captain for the second-straight season and he will be joined by seniors Jeremy Price and Nathan Sinz.

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Some North American Regular Season Hockey!

Friday, Sept 21

OHL

Oshawa 2 Sudbury 4
Corrado 1 assist, +1

Kitchener 3 Mississauga 0
McEneny 1 assist, +1

Belleville 3 Sarnia 1
Gaunce 2 assists, even

QMJHL

Halifax 4 Cape Breton 3 (OT)
Honzik did not dress (out with an injured shoulder) Philippe Trudeau 41 saves on 45 shots

S_C
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

With the 67s playing in Scotiabank Place this season and two prospects in Corrado and Gaunce to watch, I'll definitely be going to more 67s games. Of the two, I'll be more interested to see how Corrado develops this season. He definitely seems to have the character traits to be a pro, and the couple times I saw him last year he just seemed very poised out there.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Saturday, Sept 22

OHL

Belleville 3 Plymouth 2 (SO)
Gaunce 0 points, -2 (did not score on his shootout attempt)

S_C
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Lancer wrote:With the 67s playing in Scotiabank Place this season and two prospects in Corrado and Gaunce to watch, I'll definitely be going to more 67s games. Of the two, I'll be more interested to see how Corrado develops this season. He definitely seems to have the character traits to be a pro, and the couple times I saw him last year he just seemed very poised out there.
Poised is a good descrition IMO for this guy. He plays positionally well from the games I've seen.
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Sunday Sept 23

OHL

Kitchener 3 Sarnia 2 (SO)
McEneny 0 points, even

Brampton 1 Sudbury 4
Corrado 3 assists, +1 (2nd star)

QMJHL

Moncton 5 Cape Breton 4 (SO)
Honzik out with a shoulder injury (Trudeau 37 saves on 41 shots)

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Hmmm... I didn't know that Honzik had off-season shoulder surgery...

Sports in Brief

excerpt:
"Honzik is recovering from shoulder surgery and is expected to be ready for game action sometime in October, the release said."

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Almost missed this - Grenier's first goal overseas!

Salzburg Red Bull 5 KAC 2
Grenier 1 goal, 1 assist

And it was highlight reel material!
0:53 into the video, Grenier leaves a defenceman's head spinning, then goes in alone for a forehand deke on the goalie... nice!

Here is just Grenier's goal (without the other highlights) which was selected for Play of the Day

S_C