Where Will They Play?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Where Will They Play?

Post by Per »

The Sedins have stated that they intend to stay put in Vancouver and practice with some of the other guys on the team. They're not interested in disrupting their kids' schooling and/or social lives by moving back and forth depending on how long the lockout may be.

- - -

The Swedish team Mora are masters of intricate two-for-one lockout planning. In time for the 2004-05 season they locked up Marcel Hossa, and then had his brother Marian come join them. Turned out Ladislav Nagy also decided to tag along.

This season they went ahead and signed Gasper Kopitar, and won't you believe it, his older brother Anze will arrive later this week to join them... :lol:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Where Will They Play?

Post by the Dogsalmon »

kinda funny that they NEED a union and collective bargaining to play in North America...i dont see anything resembling collective bargaining or a union when they head to other leagues...things that may ya go hmmm...
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

the Dogsalmon wrote:kinda funny that they NEED a union and collective bargaining to play in North America...i dont see anything resembling collective bargaining or a union when they head to other leagues...things that may ya go hmmm...
Of course there's a players' union in Sweden, but I've never heard of a strike, nor - god forbid - a lockout.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

One of these days Donald Fehr or an acolyte will gain control of a union and then you'll see first a strike and from that point on lockouts.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

tantalum wrote:One of these days Donald Fehr or an acolyte will gain control of a union and then you'll see first a strike and from that point on lockouts.
I doubt it. We don't have any owners, so there's really no basis for conflict. The teams are associations. Any profit goes back to strengthening the team. No leeches siphoning money elsewhere.

There's still a need for unions, to make sure that contracts are honoured, and that money is set aside for pensions, insurance, etc, but they'll be dealing with the board of directors elected by the members, so if we assume that most members actually are fans, or current or former players, nah, I don't really see that sort of thing happening here.

Btw, when did the NHL players ever strike? I know of three lockouts, but has there ever been a strike? :|
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Per wrote:
tantalum wrote:One of these days Donald Fehr or an acolyte will gain control of a union and then you'll see first a strike and from that point on lockouts.
I doubt it. We don't have any owners, so there's really no basis for conflict. The teams are associations. Any profit goes back to strengthening the team. No leeches siphoning money elsewhere.

There's still a need for unions, to make sure that contracts are honoured, and that money is set aside for pensions, insurance, etc, but they'll be dealing with the board of directors elected by the members, so if we assume that most members actually are fans, or current or former players, nah, I don't really see that sort of thing happening here.

Btw, when did the NHL players ever strike? I know of three lockouts, but has there ever been a strike? :|
I'll bet Bettman has never been to Sweden, he'd probably melt like the wicked witch in Oz
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

It is the one point of leverage nhl players have that players in the other major north am sports don't have, other legit places to play for decent pay. I hope the players take full advantage, good for them...NHL decides they won't fulfill agreed contracts, go elsewhere, no problem with that at all...it's their profession, they should do what they can to do the best they can while they are able to play at this high a level....go for it boys.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Per wrote:I doubt it. We don't have any owners, so there's really no basis for conflict. The teams are associations. Any profit goes back to strengthening the team. No leeches siphoning money elsewhere.

With a tax rate of 58% I guess that's why all the decent Swedish players are in NA and making the big money under the NA system rather than pouring it into the Clubs board :)
cheers
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Per wrote: I doubt it. We don't have any owners, so there's really no basis for conflict. The teams are associations. Any profit goes back to strengthening the team. No leeches siphoning money elsewhere.

Fuckin blood thirsty ghouls! :crazy:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Better question might be.... who will be the early point leaders next season if the retarded NHLPA decides to play hardball and the NHL decides to play rocks.

Jeff Tambellini could be a great pool pick next year.

I guess Fehr and his mongoloids............errrrrr minions could start their own league.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Per wrote:

Yes .. the first strike by players was 1925 by members of the Hamilton Tigers.. They wanted to be paid $200 extra to play in the playoffs.. Didnt' succeed and the Tigers didn't play in the playoffs and were sold the next year .

Last one was in 1992 in April.. Players wanted more bonus money to play in the playoffs and a better cut of the "player card" revenue.. it lasted 10 days.. Owners lost that one. Which is maybe why they are not willing to go into a season now without a firm contract..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Better question might be.... who will be the early point leaders next season if the retarded NHLPA decides to play hardball and the NHL decides to play rocks.

Jeff Tambellini could be a great pool pick next year.

I guess Fehr and his mongoloids............errrrrr minions could start their own league.
A rebirth of the WHA ?? love to see a second top level league.. nothing wrong with competition :)..

Meantime I don't give a shite where or when they play... If the hockey is anything like the last half of last year
I wont miss it.. Other than 1 game against Boston and one against St. Louis the quality of the games stunk..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Ovechkin will play for his old team, Dynamo Moskva, while Datsyuk plays for CSKA Moskva.
Malkin, Gonchar and Kulemin play for Metallurg Magnitotorsk while Kovalchuk has joined St Petersburg.

Spezza and Omark are playing for Rapperswil in Switzerland.

Jagr, Tlusty, Plekanec and Zidlicky are playing for HC Kladno in the Czech league, while Martinek and Ference play for Budejovice.

Rumours place Landeskog in Djurgården and TJ Oshie may join Berglund in Västerås.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Boston Canucker wrote:It is the one point of leverage nhl players have that players in the other major north am sports don't have, other legit places to play for decent pay. I hope the players take full advantage, good for them...NHL decides they won't fulfill agreed contracts, go elsewhere, no problem with that at all...it's their profession, they should do what they can to do the best they can while they are able to play at this high a level....go for it boys.
Yes good for them. I can really get behind a guy who was making 3-4.....5 million a season here . Especially when he goes over to Europe and takes away another cat's job who was supporting his family on a 100K a year contract. Go for it boys and don't worry about fucking some poor prick in the ass who is just trying to make a decent living for his family.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

+1

Not only that, you have to wonder why are we paying these guys so much when the same guys are willing to risk their careers playing for 1/100th of the money
cheers