Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by FAN » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:46 am

ClamRussel wrote: Bersnoozi said he had a "great" year, unless he was the second coming of Willie Mitchell (in his prime) defensively I just don't see 16-17-33 as great is all. I'm well aware stats don't tell the whole story...but they often give an indication somewhat. I'm also very curious to see how he fits in w/ the Canucks and how he does alongside Edler. Hopefully they can generate some chemistry.
But he did have a great year didn't he? He was suppose to be a stay-at-home defenseman, but he scored 16 goals which put him 3rd in the NHL in goals by a defenseman and his 10 PP goals put him 2nd in the NHL in PP goals by a defenseman. Jason Garrison... Top 3 in goals by an NHL defenseman. That's a pretty great year for most defenseman who aren't considered top offensive defensemen in the league.

I suppose we just disagree on how much weight to put on Garrison's assists totals. I just think it's easy for a defenseman to pick up assists on a high powered offensive team, where as it's rare for a defenseman to fluke goals. A defenseman who scores 15+ goals one year will generally have other years where he has scored 5+ goals. So ya I put more weight on Garrison's ability to score goals, especially on the PP over his ability to rack up assists because I don't think Garrison is in anyway special as a puckmover and he isn't paid to be a playmaker on the ice. With that said, I expect Garrison to have lower goal totals and higher assist totals.

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by FAN » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:59 am

wienerdog wrote: As I mentioned in the Schultz thread many months ago now, I've met Schultz's cousin a few times and she was super surprised that he didn't sign here.

Word on the street is that GMMG went the soft-sell route, letting the "vaunted" position of the Nucks speak for itself.

That's fine, but the hard-sell of the Oil was evidently more impressive to a young kid like Schultz.

IMO, we really really really could've used an asset like him here - and I know it's not his style, but I do wish Gillis sold him harder and that we landed a kid that - according to his cousin - wanted to play here from the moment he started playing hockey.

If that's not a HUGE fucking advantage in landing a player, I don't what is.

I'll bet even mgmt wants a re-do on that one.
Maybe Justin Schultz' cousin doesn't know Justin that well. It's possible you know.

But even assuming you have things on good authority, I still don't blame Gillis. Do I wish Gillis made a better pitch for Schultz and signed him? Sure. But I have no problems with Gillis being honest and not making any guarantees or promises on playing time because I don't think the Canucks are in the position to do that. All along, Gillis has tried to sell a development plan for his prospects and Canucks prospects have mostly responded by going along with the plan and patiently bidding their time. The worst thing Gillis can do is to guarantee a roster spot and or playing time for a prospect who hasn't earned it. You think Lack didn't pay attention to how the Canucks treated Schneider? The upcoming season (if there is one) presents prime opportunities for guys like Connauton and Schroeder to crack the Canucks lineup. If they do, it should inspire some of the Canucks' prospects to continue working hard at their game and trusting Gillis' plan.

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8311
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Shane Doan

Post by rats19 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:01 am

So is doans 2mill signing bonus deferred to the end of the contract? Yahoo news ...must be a real confidence building move..LOL
You are who you hang with.....

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9646
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Topper » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:10 am

rats19 wrote:So is doans 2mill signing bonus deferred to the end of the contract? Yahoo news ...must be a real confidence building move..LOL
Yes, $1mil a year after the contract.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11493
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Shane Doan

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:43 am

Just curious, will the crazy Canuck fans boo Doan, Schultz, Webber AND Kane when they roll into town?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2876
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Aaronp18 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:57 am

RoyalDude wrote:Just curious, will the crazy Canuck fans boo Doan, Schultz, Webber AND Kane when they roll into town?
Why wouldn't we?

They play for the opposition.

We should boo every one of their teammates as well!

They are, just like ~680 other players in the NHL, competing against the Canucks and standing in our way of the Cup.

:wink:

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9248
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by SKYO » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:00 pm

coco_canuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mats Sundin, had he played the whole season here would have had a very good season. Down the stretch and in the playoffs he was one of the teams best players. It took him awhile to get going and to get into game shape.
The Sundin criticism really makes zero sense.

Gillis signed a veteran free-agent to a big 1 year deal when the team had loads of cap space.

Did Sundin screw up the Canucks cap situation and their ability to make other additions?

No, the Canucks actually had enough cap space to make significant trade-deadline additions, but no trade was made.

Did Sundin leave a negative effect on the team, or did he cause a rift in the locker room?

No, the Sedins, and especially Kesler, credit Sundin for helping them elevate their games to another level. Sundin got in Kesler's ear, got him to use his shot more and convinced him to play with more offensive confidence. The Sedins credit Sundin for showing them how a superstar deals with expectations and how to stick to playing your own game regardless of what's happening.

Did Sundin perform poorly in the playoffs?

No, unless you think 8 points, including 3 goals, in 8 playoff games is poor production.

The only thing anyone can criticize Sundin for is only scoring 28 points in 41 games...after sitting out half the year. Like Blob-Cat just said, Sundin rounded into form at the end of the regular season and the playoffs.

If someone can enlighten me as to what the big issue with Sundin was, I'm all ears. Oh, and don't give me the shit about the 2 year offer. Sundin was only going to sign a 1 year deal, and Gillis made the 2 year offer to put the Canucks on the map with big-time free agents, and to scare off other teams. Last time I checked, it was a calculated gamble that paid off, so what is the problem here?
FTW!

I guess Doan doesn't think much about a Stanley Cup imho.

He just cares for routine and his horses.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Shane Doan

Post by ClamRussel » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:46 pm

...either that or his loyalty blinds his judgment.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2204
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Well, Phoenix did do better in the playoffs than the Canucks last year. They made it to the conference finals or something right? Sure, the canucks may look like they have more talent on paper, but last year showed that once u make the playoffs, aything can happen. Maybe he's thinking along those lines and maybe he believes they have something good in Phoenix. Although having underdog teams all advancing like that generally don't happen very often.

SKYO wrote:I guess Doan doesn't think much about a Stanley Cup imho.

He just cares for routine and his horses.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9248
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by SKYO » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Well, Phoenix did do better in the playoffs than the Canucks last year. They made it to the conference finals or something right? Sure, the canucks may look like they have more talent on paper, but last year showed that once u make the playoffs, aything can happen. Maybe he's thinking along those lines and maybe he believes they have something good in Phoenix. Although having underdog teams all advancing like that generally don't happen very often.

SKYO wrote:I guess Doan doesn't think much about a Stanley Cup imho.

He just cares for routine and his horses.
Well they let go Ray Whitney one of their best scorers, so this team will be solely reliant on their defense and goaltending.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3435
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Shane Doan

Post by ukcanuck » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:08 pm

SKYO wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Well, Phoenix did do better in the playoffs than the Canucks last year. They made it to the conference finals or something right? Sure, the canucks may look like they have more talent on paper, but last year showed that once u make the playoffs, aything can happen. Maybe he's thinking along those lines and maybe he believes they have something good in Phoenix. Although having underdog teams all advancing like that generally don't happen very often.

SKYO wrote:I guess Doan doesn't think much about a Stanley Cup imho.

He just cares for routine and his horses.
Well they let go Ray Whitney one of their best scorers, so this team will be solely reliant on their defense and goaltending.
Is it me or doesnt the guy sound like he's already gone. talking about family and home and his commitment to the community..blah blah

User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: Shane Doan

Post by the Dogsalmon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 am

he doesnt really want to win a Cup that badly...its all about cash and lifestyle...winning comes second...Phoenix fans are now certain of what he brings...

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10716
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:26 am

LMAO @ people who carve a guy for not wanting to uproot his family and drag them halfway across a continent .

What an asshole he is . Fucking prick cares more about his own family than a city where it pisses rain 9 months a year .
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1054
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by DonCherry4PM » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:LMAO @ people who carve a guy for not wanting to uproot his family and drag them halfway across a continent .

What an asshole he is . Fucking prick cares more about his own family than a city where it pisses rain 9 months a year .
+1
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by olpaddy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:04 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:LMAO @ people who carve a guy for not wanting to uproot his family and drag them halfway across a continent .

What an asshole he is . Fucking prick cares more about his own family than a city where it pisses rain 9 months a year .
Voice of reason thank you Blob...

Post Reply