Boycott NHL owners non-NHL Businesses

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Boycott NHL owners non-NHL Businesses

Post by Fred »

I have to say there are some pretty sweet union deals out there to. I spoke to a longshoreman recently ( no education required and mostly frowned on ) Regular time $34/h Sat 45/h and Sunday 54/H. Foremen $150K and up. The auto workers basically killed themselves with their pay/pension/medical.**

According to the Indianapolis Star:
Base wages average about $28 an hour. GM officials say the average reaches $39.68 an hour, including base pay, cost-of-living adjustments, night-shift premiums, overtime, holiday and vacation pay. Health-care, pension and other benefits average another $33.58 an hour, GM says. - September 26, 2007 UNITED AUTO WORKERS OFF THE JOB, Striking back at globalization. By Ted Evanoff

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 107AAuGk8O
cheers
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i very much doubt the top surgeons in the world earn an average of 2 million a year with zero business expenses...[/quote]
if we are comparing salaries versus skill and importance to society at large yeah its obscene that top surgeons make peanuts by comparison to spoiled overgrown men playing a child's game. But by the same token why do you support a guy like Rocky Wirtz, whos been handed everything by virtue of his birth and who's income is not in the single digit millions (of which the taxman is getting at least half) but is hundreds of millions, of which a small portion is used for the common good? seems to me petty jealousy misses the real crime?[/quote]

you are bringing personalities into the mixture...i cant be pissed at Rocky because he was born rich...i am pissed at my parents because i was born poor...from a business perspective i support the owners and always will as the players are hugely compensated while assuming no risks to their assets...the owners assume huge liabilities and risks that the players never see...i dont have a dog in the fight so i am not really that biased...and having worked on both sides of the fence is quite eye opening...i just wish those fucking assholes would agree with each other so i can start my training camp...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Potatoe1 wrote: Ok how about Professional Lacrosse players, or WNBA players, or Waiters, or house painters (smile), or school teachers, or volley ball players, I could go on all day....

In order for the top 700 of any profession to make 2.5 mill per year the market for that profession has to be massive and the return for having the absolute best has to be exceptionally high.
Maybe industry would be a better word than profession. Professional hockey is now, without question it's own industry.

You also have to take into account the average career length of NHL players, something around 5-6 years. Thats going to limit career earnings substantially.

There aren't too many industries out there where even the best on the planet retire before they are 40.

Someone brought up surgeons, the average salary is probably around $500,000 (not for the top 700 on the planet mind you) but they also practice well into their 60's often enough, which is somewhere around a 30 year career.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Weber nearly makes a brain surgeons lifes earnings. First year..lol
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I really don't understand how you can side with the players over the owners. It's fucking Billionaires vs Millionaires. Some of you talk like players are so hard done by. They play a fucking game and make more money than most Fortune 500 Company CEO's of the world. Like Potatoe said, feel sorry for all those poor Olympic athletes who have to borrow money and find local sponsors to pay their rent and put food on the table so they can train. Let me let you in on something, NHL players are rich bastards as well, fucking spoiled to be honest. Shit, the lowest paid hockey player on a team makes what $650,000 a year. Holy shit, thats pittance, what a crying fucking shame. He makes more money than your average heart surgeon who went through 12 years of schooling to save peoples lives. I really can't stand the CBA, I have zero interest in hearing rich men fight with each other ovwer pieces of the pie. The one who loses in the end is the 5 figure salary earner paying fan, joe six pack. We are the ones working out budgets with our limited funds to find ways to buy them fucking expensive tix.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

rats19 wrote:Weber nearly makes a brain surgeons lifes earnings. First year..lol
Yup, there's lottery winners everywhere! :mrgreen:

I'm not really siding with anyone, there's spoiled brats on both sides as well as guys that have worked their ass off to get where they are.

I just have always had issue with owners and managers needing rules to protect themselves against themselves. In any other industry if the company is losing money due to lack of success it's usually means its time for a change in management. Stop handing out ridiculous contracts.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Fred wrote:I spoke to a longshoreman recently ( no education required and mostly frowned on ) Regular time $34/h Sat 45/h and Sunday 54/H. Foremen $150K and up.
Brother inlaw is a longshoreman. Works 4hr days, paid for 8hrs, whines like a petulant little school girl if asked to work 6hrs. Milks compo like a champ.

Owners take all the business risk of building and promoting a franchise, players have guaranteed salaries.

Get rid of those guaranteed $'s, in both salary and signing bonus.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Cornuck wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:In order for the top 700 of any profession to make 2.5 mill per year the market for that profession has to be massive and the return for having the absolute best has to be exceptionally high.
Then maybe they should make 1.25 per year and cut the ticket prices in 1/2. :?
LoL, ya and the owners aren't a bunch of capitalists. If they had it their way the 700 hockey players would be 12 year old children from Indonesia and Mexico, paying them $10.25 a game and they'd jack the prices up 25%. The next CBA they'd ask them to take a salary rollback or else get locked out and threaten to bring in grass hockey players from India at $6.50 a game (training wage until they get 500 games in).

Sad thing is, the rinks would probably still be sold out w/ corporate season's tickets and they'd get their TV deal.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:I really don't understand how you can side with the players over the owners. It's fucking Billionaires vs Millionaires. Some of you talk like players are so hard done by. They play a fucking game and make more money than most Fortune 500 Company CEO's of the world. Like Potatoe said, feel sorry for all those poor Olympic athletes who have to borrow money and find local sponsors to pay their rent and put food on the table so they can train. Let me let you in on something, NHL players are rich bastards as well, fucking spoiled to be honest. Shit, the lowest paid hockey player on a team makes what $650,000 a year. Holy shit, thats pittance, what a crying fucking shame. He makes more money than your average heart surgeon who went through 12 years of schooling to save peoples lives. I really can't stand the CBA, I have zero interest in hearing rich men fight with each other ovwer pieces of the pie. The one who loses in the end is the 5 figure salary earner paying fan, joe six pack. We are the ones working out budgets with our limited funds to find ways to buy them fucking expensive tix.
I don't think anyone on here feels sorry for the players Dude....I think most people choose hockey.
Are you saying you feel sorry for the owners then?

There's no "risk" to these owners. Thats a joke yet it keeps coming up here again and again. Look at that list on the boycott site, these owners have NHL franchises as hobbies, nothing more. Aside from Jamison that is (still baffled that he's being courted as an "owner" while needing "financing"), most of them are billionaires elsewhere & buy a franchise like one of us would buy a new shiny car. THEY give out the stupid contracts, not the players. THEY outbid their rival owners ...and sometimes screw them (see the Gretzky/Messier saga etc) for revenge. Its a game within a game for the owners.

Its hilarious that the owners want "guaranteed" profit margins....for a business that, for the most part, is just a toy....a racehorse. Basically they need control over themselves....and propping up franchises in cities that they shouldn't even be in. They've blown one season....they don't care, they'll blow another if it means "control" over the players and themselves.

http://www.classwarfareexists.com/the-4 ... z25o7BNoEX
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ClamRussel wrote: There's no "risk" to these owners. Thats a joke yet it keeps coming up here again and again. Look at that list on the boycott site, these owners have NHL franchises as hobbies, nothing more.
Are you ignoring the cost of entry into the business? Of coarse the teams are not the owners primary business. They had to make their money to acquire a team somehow. You can not just go out and start up your own NHL franchise as an entrepreneur.

However that does seem to be what Jamison is trying to do and you are so critical of his methodology.

Curious as to what ownership model you'd prefer.

I'm sure owners posess sports teams for various reason and ego is certainly one of those reason in many instances. That said, they are very high profile parts of the owners corporate portfolio. Why would someone driven by ego want to see their company with the greatest degree of public attention, run as a circus?

As a fan, I'd be far more concerned of the Rogers/Bell purchase of MLSE and any sort of impact that may have on fan access to game broadcasts.
Last edited by Topper on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

rats19 wrote:Weber nearly makes a brain surgeons lifes earnings. First year..lol

and the average brain surgeon loses more brain cells in a day than Weber was born with...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

RoyalDude wrote:I really don't understand how you can side with the players over the owners. It's fucking Billionaires vs Millionaires. Some of you talk like players are so hard done by. They play a fucking game and make more money than most Fortune 500 Company CEO's of the world. Like Potatoe said, feel sorry for all those poor Olympic athletes who have to borrow money and find local sponsors to pay their rent and put food on the table so they can train. Let me let you in on something, NHL players are rich bastards as well, fucking spoiled to be honest. Shit, the lowest paid hockey player on a team makes what $650,000 a year. Holy shit, thats pittance, what a crying fucking shame. He makes more money than your average heart surgeon who went through 12 years of schooling to save peoples lives. I really can't stand the CBA, I have zero interest in hearing rich men fight with each other ovwer pieces of the pie. The one who loses in the end is the 5 figure salary earner paying fan, joe six pack. We are the ones working out budgets with our limited funds to find ways to buy them fucking expensive tix.

fucking eh!!!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

the Dogsalmon wrote:

and the average brain surgeon loses more brain cells in a day than Weber was born with...
if only that brain surgeon could...lay out opponents at the blueline upon entry....make that first pass quick-clean and sharp. not be injury prone..that would help i am sure...lol
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

rats19 wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:

if only that brain surgeon could...lay out opponents at the blueline upon entry....make that first pass quick-clean and sharp. not be injury prone..that would help i am sure...lol

who would you rather have on Gilligans Island...apart from Maryanne and Ginger(not Schneider)...
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »