Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by donlever »

KeyserSoze wrote: Nice.
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

You can pull my pork buddy.

Let's hear the story we really want to hear.

NY?

Food?

Well?
DeLevering since 1999.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

donlever wrote: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

You can pull my pork buddy.

Let's hear the story we really want to hear.

NY?

Food?

Well?
You can pull your own pork, I even told you how to do it.

(It's all about the rub...or perhaps it's all about the patience for an old dood like you :P )

Looking like we are more than likely going to California with the wife's family in the fall. If that happens NYC is going to be a 2013 trip.

How was Edible?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Cornuck wrote:Cooking a brisket today for the first time. Should be interesting...

I'm (more or less) following these directions: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
It turned out great! Even though I had trouble stabilizing (or accurately reading) the grill heat. Good option for a group of people.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper, need some advice.

Wife and I are coming off a stupid restrictive diet this week where we've been limited to chicken or shrimp or "white" fish. Adding other meats back in soon but they have to be lean. What are some good choices and where can I get some ideas (short of picking your brain) on how to prep and grill them so they aren't like chewing pemican?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote:Topper, need some advice.

Wife and I are coming off a stupid restrictive diet this week where we've been limited to chicken or shrimp or "white" fish. Adding other meats back in soon but they have to be lean. What are some good choices and where can I get some ideas (short of picking your brain) on how to prep and grill them so they aren't like chewing pemican?
I like Flank steak.

Marinate over night in what ever you like. BBQ to rare / med rare (2 to 4 min a side). Cut thin slices against the grain and have it in Fajitas or just in strips with what ever sides you like.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote: I like Flank steak.

Marinate over night in what ever you like. BBQ to rare / med rare (2 to 4 min a side). Cut thin slices against the grain and have it in Fajitas or just in strips with what ever sides you like.
Make sure you get lots of cheese on those fajita's. :mex:

Yeah, I'm at the age now, where everyone in my age bracket are 'watching what they eat'. I guess I need to join the program soon.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:

I like Flank steak.

Flank is one of my favourites. Salt, pepper and a splash of balsamic when turned on the grill. NEVER more than rare.Let rest. Slice across the grain and serve on an endive-blue cheese-walnut salad.

Unfortunately what used to be a little known "tough" cut has gained popularity and the price has shot skyward.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Topper wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:

I like Flank steak.

Flank is one of my favourites. Salt, pepper and a splash of balsamic when turned on the grill. NEVER more than rare.Let rest. Slice across the grain and serve on an endive-blue cheese-walnut salad.

Unfortunately what used to be a little known "tough" cut has gained popularity and the price has shot skyward.

True.

Even a couple of hours slathered in bachelor condiments can make this "steak" taste good.

First time I had it at the in-laws I was quite upset there were only two large steaks and we were "sharing"..... :drink:
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Bought a nice small chicken @ the local butcher tonight and had a beer can chicken. First time.

Slathered it with EVOO, balsamic and SP, and stuffed a few garlic cloves and misc herbs.

Drank half a can of Phillips Blue buck and boy did that buck serve his purpose. This beer can revolution is ongoing in this household.
zephyr
AHL Prospect

Post by zephyr »

Iron chef competition, lemon secret ingredient.

A few things have crossed my mind including a scallop ceviche, but nothing with WOW factor that would showcase lemon. Ideas?
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Anyone know a solid olive tapinade recipe?
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

There's some nice work being done in the kitchens of CC. Nice.

So, I'm inclined to think my latest favourite fad is pork belly. Fantastically tasty. Any thoughts on where to buy it raw and what to do with it? The stuff I've been devouring seems to have been prepared like confit, but I'm not positive about that. It's super moist, tender, and usually crispy on top. Any ideas/experience to pass along?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Benjo wrote:Anyone know a solid olive tapinade recipe?
I use sun dried black olives, garlic, anchovies, capers and olive oil. Put all in a food processor and spin.

If you use your fingers or a knife steel to poke a hole down the length of a pork tenderloin and stuff it with tapanade. Season the outside of the loin with rosemary and place on a sheet of lightly oiled foil. Wrap tight and then put in a hot, dry pan. Let it sit in the pan and the loin will brown. Rotate the loin in the pan so it browns evenly and then finish in a 400F oven. Cook to medium rare (130F) and let rest. the temp will climb to around 135F while resting.

Pork is fine slightly pink. Trichinosis dies at just below 130F so taking it to 135F is perfect.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Cheers, I'm a sucker for olives!
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Topper - how do you recommend seasoning a cast iron pan?