Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by nuckster »

Well for goodness sakes, when the hell is this trade ever going to take place!?? I hate to admit it, but it's been one of the primary interests for me over the summer. Each week ... ok... shit...each day I wonder, 'Is it today'?' 'Should i look in TSN first, or here?' Now here we are into Sept. jeeese. Did summer drag on or what? We're so funny, the fixation onto a lingering question took up a lot of time, all for naught (so far). Now the prospect of a stike... gawd.
cc oldtimer
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

nuckster wrote:Well for goodness sakes, when the hell is this trade ever going to take place!?? I hate to admit it, but it's been one of the primary interests for me over the summer. Each week ... ok... shit...each day I wonder, 'Is it today'?' 'Should i look in TSN first, or here?' Now here we are into Sept. jeeese. Did summer drag on or what? We're so funny, the fixation onto a lingering question took up a lot of time, all for naught (so far). Now the prospect of a stike... gawd.
well nuckster...have a crap..light a smoke watch out for helicopters and busses...lol
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

rats19 wrote:
nuckster wrote:Well for goodness sakes, when the hell is this trade ever going to take place!?? I hate to admit it, but it's been one of the primary interests for me over the summer. Each week ... ok... shit...each day I wonder, 'Is it today'?' 'Should i look in TSN first, or here?' Now here we are into Sept. jeeese. Did summer drag on or what? We're so funny, the fixation onto a lingering question took up a lot of time, all for naught (so far). Now the prospect of a stike... gawd.
well nuckster...have a crap..light a smoke watch out for helicopters and busses...lol
Not quite getting the helicopters and busses part... But consider, there's over a 100 frikin pages devoted to this topic. So much time and energy spent on speculation. Are we a testament to the notion that we're a culture starved for 'things' that give our lives meaning? What does a junkie do without heroin? (withdraw) What do hardcore Canuck fans do in the off season? (lament?) (write meaningful yet meaningless stuff in a forum/blog?) ( have a crap and a smoke and watch out for helicopters and busses?) ..ooooohhhhhh ok, i get the busses and helicopters now.

Yep yep yep... no trade again today i see :look:
cc oldtimer
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

nuckster wrote: I hate to admit it, but it's been one of the primary interests for me over the summer.

'Should i look in TSN first, or here?' Now here we are into Sept. jeeese. Did summer drag on or what?
No the summer didn't drag on. Unless you consider 7 weeks ( out of 52) a long summer. I guess compared to the debacle of last year it's been a long summer. Personally I like to see a good three or 4 months of summer but I guess I'm living in the wrong part of the world.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Luongo in Vancouver for possible early summit with Canucks' GM Mike Gillis?

Goalie on Vancouver trip next week: "Get your popcorn ready! Gonna be lots of fun!"

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Luongo+Vanco ... z25ibmp4iF
I'm guessing either there is a trade looming, or it's MG laying the smack down and telling RL to shut his gap and quit talking to the media about how much he wants to play in Florida 24/7, plus be ready to suit up in a 50/50 role with CS this upcoming season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

SKYO wrote:
Luongo in Vancouver for possible early summit with Canucks' GM Mike Gillis?

Goalie on Vancouver trip next week: "Get your popcorn ready! Gonna be lots of fun!"

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Luongo+Vanco ... z25ibmp4iF
I'm guessing either there is a trade looming, or it's MG laying the smack down and telling RL to shut his gap and quit talking to the media about how much he wants to play in Florida 24/7, plus be ready to suit up in a 50/50 role with CS this upcoming season.
or Luongo is truly a pro and realizes he's still a Canuck and needs to continue moving forward like he's a Canuck, which means reporting to Vancouver and getting ready to start the season.

Like AV said during the playoffs last year, all it takes is a puck to the neck or a groin pull (or something like that) to change the goal tending situation.

The media has spun this story so well - I don't think Lou has ever come out and said "I want a trade out of Vancouver", he's been asked if he would consider a trade and to which market and he's responded to the questions. Just like from the playoffs a couple of years ago when a reporter asked Daniel (or Henrik?) "do you think you'll win game 7" to which he replied "yes" - all the headlines read "Daniel (Henrik?) says The Canucks will win". It's a lose-lose situation with the media here in Vancouver:

Media to Lou: Would you accept a trade if asked?

Lou says: Yes, if that's what they want, I'll do what's best for the team
Headline: "Luongo willing to waive NTC, wants out of Vancouver"

Lou says: No, I like it in Vancouver and want to win a championship here
Headline: "Luongo handcuffs Gillis, won't waive NTC"

Lou says: No comment
Headline: "Disgruntled Luongo unwilling to talk about his future in Vancouver"

.... and on and on and on ....
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

vic wrote:
The media has spun this story so well - I don't think Lou has ever come out and said "I want a trade out of Vancouver", he's been asked if he would consider a trade and to which market and he's responded to the questions. Just like from the playoffs a couple of years ago when a reporter asked Daniel (or Henrik?) "do you think you'll win game 7" to which he replied "yes" - all the headlines read "Daniel (Henrik?) says The Canucks will win". It's a lose-lose situation with the media here in Vancouver:

Media to Lou: Would you accept a trade if asked?

Lou says: Yes, if that's what they want, I'll do what's best for the team
Headline: "Luongo willing to waive NTC, wants out of Vancouver"

Lou says: No, I like it in Vancouver and want to win a championship here
Headline: "Luongo handcuffs Gillis, won't waive NTC"

Lou says: No comment
Headline: "Disgruntled Luongo unwilling to talk about his future in Vancouver"

.... and on and on and on ....
:lol: Modern-era journalism... :roll:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Luongo wants to be a number one, not a back up to Cory. Hell I doubt he even wants to split games and then fight for the right to start in the playoffs. But he has never asked for a trade. He has said it may be time to move on and he would look at all trade options if and when he is presented with something. He has also said he is still a Canuck and so he wants to come here earlier that usual and get started for the season.

Frankly everything he has said helps MG. He hasn't vetoed any destination, he has made it clear his heart lies in Florida. But he has said he will look at any offer presented to him. Lets face it, in 2 years Luongo can contractually demand a trade and has to provide a list of teams. So if he has to he can wait it out two more seasons and at that point then MG, or whoever is the GM, will have his hands tied.

I am more surprised that AV got extended because he more than anyone has been pushed to make line up changes that he was reluctant to do on his own, with respect to Cory. He loves Luongo and Luongo is still his number one. If he is back I'd expect Luongo to get the nod as the number one. After all MG would want to showcase him no?
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:After all MG would want to showcase him no?
Yes Roberto will get the offensive zones starts but be replaced by Cory for defensive zone faceoffs.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:
Yes Roberto will get the offensive zones starts but be replaced by Cory for defensive zone faceoffs.

Exactly!!
The only HW the Canucks need
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Hockey Widow wrote:But he has never asked for a trade.
A moot point though. Luongo has made it clear he prefers not to return to Vancouver and share starts or even back up Schneider next season.
Hockey Widow wrote: Lets face it, in 2 years Luongo can contractually demand a trade and has to provide a list of teams. So if he has to he can wait it out two more seasons and at that point then MG, or whoever is the GM, will have his hands tied.
I actually see that as being to Gillis' advantage. Right now, Luongo thinks "it may be time for a trade" and doesn't have to provide a list and has full veto power. In 2 years, Luongo can demand a trade and at least have to provide a list of preapproved teams. And while Gillis may be "contractually" obligated to move Luongo, I'm almost 100% certain that it's not a contractual clause that can be upheld under the CBA (the old one at least).
Hockey Widow wrote: I am more surprised that AV got extended because he more than anyone has been pushed to make line up changes that he was reluctant to do on his own, with respect to Cory. He loves Luongo and Luongo is still his number one. If he is back I'd expect Luongo to get the nod as the number one. After all MG would want to showcase him no?
Is that inside info in regards to AV liking Luongo more and thinking he is better or is that just a personal thought?

As for being surprised that AV got extended are you surprised that Gillis extended him or that AV accepted the extension? Either way, I'm not that surprised. I feel Gillis appreciates his working relationship with Vigneault and thinks Vigneault is a good coach. While AV might have fought with Gillis over lineup changes and assistant coach firings/hirings, from Gillis' standpoint, he does have a coach who is receptive to Gillis' plans and Gillis seems to value stability. The coach can be fired if the Canucks disappoint again in the playoffs while firing the coach now might upset the apple cart. Keeping the coach is the easiest choice. From AV's standpoint, I bet AV enjoys the stability. He's got a GM who has backed him up at every turn and has listened to him and brought in the type of players AV likes. And given AV's success with the Canucks, he probably feels he has a guaranteed NHL job after the Canucks and right now there isn't another team hiring that has a better chance to win the Cup. More importantly, what are AV's options? He's under contract for another year and coaches generally don't choose go into the season as a lame duck coach. AV is not going to want to go through next season and then hope a better opportunity is available in the summer. Worse, if there is a lockout, there might be fewer job openings. Taking that 2 year extension is a no brainer really.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:I'm guessing either there is a trade looming, or it's MG laying the smack down and telling RL to shut his gap and quit talking to the media about how much he wants to play in Florida 24/7, plus be ready to suit up in a 50/50 role with CS this upcoming season.
Or maybe he in town for a round of charity golf.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

FAN wrote: I actually see that as being to Gillis' advantage. Right now, Luongo thinks "it may be time for a trade" and doesn't have to provide a list and has full veto power. In 2 years, Luongo can demand a trade and at least have to provide a list of preapproved teams. And while Gillis may be "contractually" obligated to move Luongo, I'm almost 100% certain that it's not a contractual clause that can be upheld under the CBA (the old one at least).
I would think (hope) the league wouldn't have approved a contract with a clause they did not see as compliant with the CBA.

In any event, I believe the contact specifies a Luongo out clause and then two years later a similar team out clause; if the first clause is not honoured by the team then the second is nullified and Luongo never has to accept any trade under the terms of the contract.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Topper wrote:

Exactly!!
LOL, time to CoHo Luongo!

Actually, looking at the quality of teams Schneider faced over the last 2 years (which I broke down about 100 pages ago - short version is Schneider faced hardly any playoff-bound teams), I would have thought Schneider was being pumped up for a trade.

Yes, I am aware of the Boston and Chicago games, but those are rare exceptions, not the rule.

If Luongo starts sharing the hard starts and Schneider starts sharing the softies, Luongo's stats should get a healthy boost. I won't be surprised to see an early-season trade, like the Booth deal.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Actually, looking at the quality of teams Schneider faced over the last 2 years (which I broke down about 100 pages ago - short version is Schneider faced hardly any playoff-bound teams), I would have thought Schneider was being pumped up for a trade.

Yes, I am aware of the Boston and Chicago games, but those are rare exceptions, not the rule.

If Luongo starts sharing the hard starts and Schneider starts sharing the softies, Luongo's stats should get a healthy boost. I won't be surprised to see an early-season trade, like the Booth deal.
Yeah last summer I went over the 2010-11 season starts and Schneids was DEFINITELY sheltered.

Then last season it seemed not-so-much, but still somewot.

I also thought Schneids was "being pumped up for a trade".

And to honest I still believe Lou is the better goalie right now... and will be for the next few years at least.

I keep dreaming they end up trading Schneider (getting a HUGE return) but it ain't happenin is it? :(
____
Try to focus on someday.