Mike Green

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mike Green

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Looking over Washingtons roster, I got to thinking...would Green be a good fit in Van?
The guy is absolutely loaded with offensive talent and rolls with the exact same cap hit as Luongo...give or take a few hundy thou. I know he's had injury issues but there appears to be a possible fit there. Washington only has Holtby who looks promising but is anything but a lock to be a starter.

I can see the benefit to both teams in this one and see both players as equals in their respective positions and cap hit.
If you need air...call it in
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Mike Green

Post by Benjo »

I think AV would rather give birth to another set of twins than coach that guy. The last couple of games the Canucks have played the Caps you see Green leisurely skating back at centre still when the Canucks have already put it in the net...

Keep your eye on 52 in white!! There is a reason for his reputation as a 4th forward.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

He has some issues yes but so does Luongo.
I'm thinking if he buys into a more structured system, wouldn't that kind of skill set be a huge asset? He skates like the wind, plays with an edge, can hammer the puck and has excellent offensive vision.

This might be the time to buy. I remember as a younger player he was absolutely dominant. Again, many parallels to Luongo here.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

When the Caps toned down their O game to a defensive system they neutered their offensive players production my biggest issue with him now is his injury issues. The next Salo?

2012/02/18 Missed 18 games (groin).
2012/01/12 Groin, injured reserve.
2012/01/09 Groin, day-to-day.
2012/01/03 Missed 24 games (groin).
2011/12/31 Groin, injured reserve.
2011/11/25 Groin, sidelined indefinitely.
2011/11/12 Groin, day-to-day.
2011/11/11 Missed 6 games (ankle injury).
2011/10/27 Ankle injury, day-to-day.
2011/04/13 Missed the last 20 games of the regular season (head injury).
2011/03/09 Head injury, injured reserve.
2011/03/06 Head injury, sidelined indefinitely.
2011/02/26 Head injury, injured reserve.
2011/02/25 Missed 5 games (undisclosed).
2011/02/14 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
2010/12/15 Missed 2 games (flu).
2010/12/11 Flu, day-to-day.
2010/11/28 Missed 2 games (undisclosed).
2010/11/24 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
2010/10/23 Missed 3 games (upper body injury).
2010/10/16 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
2010/04/09 Missed 1 game (undisclosed).
2010/04/06 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
2010/01/30 Suspended by the NHL for three games.
2010/01/23 Missed 1 game (undisclosed).
2010/01/21 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
2009/11/11 Missed 1 game (upper body injury).
2009/11/07 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
2009/03/17 Missed 1 game (flu).
2009/03/16 Flu, day-to-day.
2008/12/28 Missed 2 games (shoulder injury).
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I definitely share your concerns but the risk vs reward gamble is huge.
Back to back 70, yes 70 plus point seasons
31 goals scored in 08/09. That's unheard of in the modern NHL.
Still young at 26.

The guy is a bonafide superstar.

If Washington would do it and he would wave his no trade....I'd do it. No question
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Starting next year Green's cap hit is higher than Luongo's and would be by a wide margin the highest of any Canucks defender.

He could be exactly what this team needs and he could be a disaster.. I'm not trying to come down particularly firmly on either side (although as mentioned I'm sure AV would rather pass a kidney stone the size of a golf ball than try to rein Green in).

It certainly would be interesting to see the Canucks add a top end offensive defenseman for Luongo (rather than the usual packages of middling forwards, decent prospects and picks).

I'd imagine the Canucks would need to move Ballard and the Caps would need a defenseman (not Ballard) coming back and might be willing to deal a goalie so a third trade could fill in the blanks nicely. A top six of

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Green
Edler-Tanev

Would be probably the best in the league. Anyway this is all pure spitballing but I would look hard at taking a player with Green's potential impact on the game rather than accepting a quantity-for-quality type of deal for Luongo.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dbr wrote:Anyway this is all pure spitballing but I would look hard at taking a player with Green's potential impact on the game rather than accepting a quantity-for-quality type of deal for Luongo.
You can't get a much better offensive d-man than Mike Green.

I'd be open to the trade, but there's a lot at play. Assuming he and Luongo waive their respective NTC's, his $6M cap hit isn't prohibitive provided we move Ballard. I'd be concerned about his injuries, but that's the kind of risk-reward you gotta play in this game. Like Salo, the Canucks can't afford a guy with such an impact on strategizing and style being in the sick bay every 3 games.

Personally, I'd rather have John Carlson, but he probably ain't available.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I definitely share your concerns but the risk vs reward gamble is huge.
The idea of trading for Green crossed my mind, but then he re-signed with the Capitals for $6M+ a year for 3 years. Didn't think he would get that. Green isn't low risk high reward. He's high risk high reward. The Canucks acquiring Green would likely lead to somewhat of an overhaul of the team. If it meant getting rid of Ballard's salary and maybe package Raymond in the deal it might be worth the risk, but where is Green going to fit? No doubt the acquisition of Green would upset the salary structure. But if Edler could be moved for a young star forward up front, that might be a gamble worth betting on, but not because Green would be an upgrade over Edler.

Green really hasn't been the same player, but then again he really hasn't been healthy and his performance in the playoffs this year is somewhat of an encouraging sign. But even prior to his injuries there were question marks with Green. Could Green learn to play defense and keep up his offensive production? Can Green be effective in the playoffs? Those questions haven't been answered in part because he was injured. Even if Green returns to his healthy 70+ point form, I'm not sure he'll help the Canucks win the Cup. Green has not shown that he can be a difference maker (in a good way) in the playoffs. Just too much of a risk there.