Best NHL Leaders of All Time

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Best NHL Leaders of All Time

Post by FAN »

Tanti09 wrote: Steve Y
Why do you consider Yzerman to be the best NHL leader of all time?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

so.. this is from a thread called 'messier'.. Jan5, 2010 (sorry.. not smart enough to link to my own posts)

but it says why I think stevie Y is tops on the list.
So I am meeting a couple buddies in a bar here in Saskatoon after work last night, and while waiting for a bunch of guys to clear a space for me to sit down at (there are a bunch of dudes crowding the table beside us), a gravelly voice asks me "so what, you want an autograph too?" Sitting at the next table are Stevie Y, Mark Messier, and Darryl Sutter (and odd trio to say the least!!).. I reply, "nah. I just wanted to shake Steves hand. I really respect a guy who plays his entire career with a team, rides out the rough times, and turns a struggling team into a dominate one!... A guy who understands hockey hate and loyalty are hard to find today!"

Mark says (while I am shaking Steve's hand) "you can't control the teams you get traded to, or where you go in the league. theres no need to hate the teams a player has played for because he got traded somewhere"

With a big smile,I said "dude. you are a hockey icon. You are one of the top 5 leaders in all sports of all times, second in so many catagories to Wayne that its not even funny, with a history of clutch performaces. I don't hate teams you have played for... I am a canucks fan. I simply hate you!"

Sutter almost fell off his stool because he was laughing so hard

I had a beer with them, and even though sutter 'hates me too!' we had a really nice chat about a variety of topics. When Messier doesn't have his 'hockey god' hat on, he really isn't a bad guy.. and sutter has a wierd sense of humor. if he wasn't a Flamer, I could almost like him. Stevie Y is just that.. classy a guy as any I have ever met ( I avoided the Olymic selection topic). All three have a good knowledge of the Junior talent in town...All in all, a good night...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

^ All time classic! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Dr Strangelove says ..
I wouldn't have Bobby Hull in my Top 20, but to each their own.

Guess its a genertional gap thing Doc ..:)
Maybe I am a little prejudiced .. but the 1960's were the Bobby Hull era to me..
Before Makita and Hull showed up the Blackhawks were the worst team in the old 6 team league..
They turned out to be to Chicago what Richard was to Montreal.. Howe was to Detroit and Orr was
to Boston.. Chicago had been playing to empty seats for years until Hull , Makita etc showed up..
Hull broke all the scoring records.. He and Stan Makita invented the curved stick.. Maybe the first star to use the Slapshot.- clocked at close to 120 .( controversial as Boom Boom Geoffrion also had a wicked slapshot ) .. Before Hull the Hawks had 15 losing seasons !! He lead them to the Stanley Cup in 61 ( never was the captain though ). Broke with the NHL to get the first million dollar paycheck out of the WHA which set the stage for players getting a decent paycheck.
Guess what got me started thinking about Hull was 2 other threads.. Evander Kane is wearing #9 ( actually went to Hull and got permission - kids got class ).. and the Summit series .. Hull was kept off the team by Harold Ballard ( spit .. f*ing leaves ) as he wasn't in the NHL .. so we were missing 2 great stars - Hull and Orr.. :(..

DAmmmmm I am old !!
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Okay Tiger you convinced me, Hull is now in my Top 20!

I suppose his rumoured habitual wife-beating and obvious scalp rugs clouded my judgement. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: *bar story*
Great story MCP, do I remember you telling that one before. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

In no specific order

Brian Trottier
Stan Makita
Jean Béliveau
Bobby Orr
Steve Yzerman
Larry Robinson
Jean Ratelle
Mario Lemieux
Ted Lindsay
Terry O'Reilly
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

FAN wrote:
Tanti09 wrote: Steve Y
Why do you consider Yzerman to be the best NHL leader of all time?
He's a leader without "trying" and his quiet fortitude is something that transcends his teammates. He has the respect of fans, not only from his team but fans who root for other teams. Although maybe an Avalanche fan from the mid/late 90s may see him in a different light. 8-)

His career in Detroit was phenomenal and I think everyone wished he was on their team, not only for his skill set but the class and integrity he brought to the game.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

When the best NHL leader of all time came here and farted around for 3 years, while totally fucking up team chemistry, I kind of realized that NHL "leadership" was mostly a complete myth perpetuated by fans and media most of whom really had no clue what was really going on.

Mark Messier was a complete and total fraud.

A self centered player who played for the money, fame and lifestyle. He had the charisma to convince fans and media otherwise but the proof was in the pudding.

A total fraud, an egomaniac, a party animal, and a total douche.

Yet this is the guy people claim to be the best leader in sports.

Yes follow me, don't play defense, go to the Roxy every night, push out popular players, cash your checks, and be a horrible role model for young players.

The truth is the hockey media had no fucking clue who the best NHL leaders have been, or if it's even relevant. The fact they continue to fawn over Mark Messier just shows what a crock the whole thing is.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Da Doc says :

I suppose his rumoured habitual wife-beating and obvious scalp rugs clouded my judgement.
hmmm been reading your posts .. you keep looking for an asshole player for the Nucks.. Got to agree
in his personal life Hull was a #1 asshole.. and did his share of fighting on the ice too.. :) Your kinda guy?
lol
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:In no specific order

Brian Trottier
Stan Makita
Jean Béliveau
Bobby Orr
Steve Yzerman
Larry Robinson
Jean Ratelle
Mario Lemieux
Ted Lindsay
Terry O'Reilly
NO CLARKIE??!!! :evil:

Your Top 10 different than most but then that's our Topper.

Pretty sure all of your guys would end up in my Top 25 though.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tiger wrote:Da Doc says :

I suppose his rumoured habitual wife-beating and obvious scalp rugs clouded my judgement.
hmmm been reading your posts .. you keep looking for an asshole player for the Nucks.. Got to agree
in his personal life Hull was a #1 asshole.. and did his share of fighting on the ice too.. :) Your kinda guy?
lol
*moves Hull into Top 12* :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

What did Clarke lead?

The prima donna race to hide behind Dave Schultz?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

LOL Topper you know damn well Canadian Icon Bobby Clarke was the greatest leader of all time! :D

Don't master bait buddy!!

EDIT: http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Fi ... Player=790 http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/10859
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I have to say I don't recall Clarke going toe to toe with any one if he fought it was becuase the rest of the team was already throwing it else where. Team mates looked after Clarke like a kid looks after his first puppy. I certainly watched Orr go at it more often
cheers