Seattle back at the NBA/NHL table

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Seattle back at the NBA/NHL table

Post by Fred »

Seattle investor has all the land he needs to build a new arena

Jason Brough

Sep 1, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT

We always get a good response when we write about the NHL possibly moving to Seattle, so I thought I’d pass along the news, via KING 5, that Chris Hansen (the hedge-fund manager, not the “have a seat” guy) has purchased the final parcel of real estate he says he needs to build a new arena in the city.

Hansen’s first priority is bringing the NBA back to Seattle. He’d own the basketball team, but he’d also like to attract an NHL franchise as a second tenant for the new building.

There’s still a long way to go before construction can begin. First, City Council has to approve the $490 million arena, then Hansen has to go out and get a basketball team. (The Sacramento Kings remain the most likely to relocate, but if they do, it won’t necessarily be to Seattle.)

Despite all the hurdles that lie ahead, the fact Hansen and his investors have reportedly sunk almost $49 million into purchasing land for the new arena shows confidence that construction will start at some point. And once there’s a new arena, there’s potential for an NHL team to move in.

At this point, we’d like to turn your attention to the ongoing plight of the Phoenix Coyotes.
and on a lighter note

Shane Doan has a 4 year, $30 million offer from the Sabres. The Canucks, Penguins, Flyers, and Rangers are all willing to go 4 years and $24 million. The Ducks were shopping Bobby Ryan at the beginning of the summer, but they were asking for a king’s ransom, and now they may not move him anymore. The Maple leaves, Blackhawks and Panthers have shown interest in Roberto Luongo, but the Canucks want assets back and aren’t going to give him away. The honeymoon period is over for Brian Burke in Toronto, and Luongo would be a major upgrade over James Reimer. If the Canucks can’t trade Luongo, they could put him on waivers and see if someone claims his 10 year, $5.3 million salary hit. You have to think that if there was a CBA, Luongo would have been moved by now.
cheers
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Seattle back at the NBA/NHL table

Post by wafflecombine »

7.5 million a season for Doan? Its hard to be even slightly sympathetic to the NHL side in the ongoing negotiations when they are willing to pay like this. Definately ironic.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

wafflecombine wrote:7.5 million a season for Doan? Its hard to be even slightly sympathetic to the NHL side in the ongoing negotiations when they are willing to pay like this. Definately ironic.
Isn't that the truth

The goodnews about Seattle is the propspective owners has actually plonked down money for the property. I'm thinking he has to know some thing to cough up that sort of money
cheers
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

if Doan takes the 7.5 from Buffalo it shows he is all about the ca$h and thats it...the family angle was all a steaming pile of bullshit...maybe Buffalo shit...i'm not certain???
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

the Dogsalmon wrote:if Doan takes the 7.5 from Buffalo it shows he is all about the ca$h and thats it...the family angle was all a steaming pile of bullshit...maybe Buffalo shit...i'm not certain???
horse shit ;)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

rats19 wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:if Doan takes the 7.5 from Buffalo it shows he is all about the ca$h and thats it...the family angle was all a steaming pile of bullshit...maybe Buffalo shit...i'm not certain???
horse shit ;)

some form of fecal anomaly...