Evander Kane

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Evander Kane

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Thought I'd start a thread on this guy as I feel he is more what we need rather than an aging, over the hill 3rd liner.
This is the guy we need. Period. Young, physical, talented, rumours swirling about wanting to don the stinky whale, the list goes on.
So do we have what it takes to bring him home? Not yet
In my opinion we would need to basically clean out our prospect cupboards to land him. We do have the assets of a Luongo trade and possibly a Ballard trade to balance things out but in all honesty, we would be left pretty well empty.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sn ... 7112.story
Vancouver, BC — If the Winnipeg Jets had their way, superstar forward Evander Kane's signature will be inked on a new long-term contract with the club in short order and they'll finally move on from dealing with the speculation that the recently turned 21-year-old wants out of the Manitoba capital.

But the longer Kane remains in limbo, the more heated the rumor mill will become with suggestions that Kane has asked for a change of scenery despite the fact that both Kane's representatives and the Jets have denied there's any truth to the reports that he's asked to be dealt from the team.

Ads by GoogleWhile it would clearly be in the Jets' best interest to get Kane signed, sealed and delivered, it's not hard to imagine the club reaching the point in which they may feel it's time to walk away from the former Canadian World Junior gold medalist.

As much good as Kane has done on the ice in his young NHL career for the Jets/Thrashers franchise - he had a career-high 30 goals and 57 points last season in just his third season as a pro - he has seemingly garnered just as much attention off the ice, especially now with all the talk surrounding his trade request, real or imagined.

If the Jets decide to they want to part with Kane, there will certainly be no shortage of suitors. Here are five teams that could take a run at Kane if he hits the market:

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

The Canucks have made no secret about the fact they're searching for a power forward with scoring ability and Kane would certainly fit the mold at 6-foot-2, 195 pounds. He'd also be immensely popular considering he's from Vancouver and won a Memorial Cup with the WHL's Vancouver Giants back in 2007.

The Canucks have a number of prospects who could be of interest to the Jets in a potential trade, but as far as an immediate return goes, their most attractive chip to play is defenseman Alexander Edler. The 26-year-old set career highs in goals (11) and points (49) last season and took part in the NHL All-Star Game, but he is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the upcoming season.

MONTREAL CANADIENS

The Habs are another team that would like to add some size up front and get younger as well, and their most intriguing asset to dangle is fellow restricted free agent defenseman P.K. Subban, who also has been rumored to be on the trade block.

Beyond that, the Habs have a number of proven, veteran scoring forwards who might pique the Jets' interest such as Tomas Plekanec or Rene Bourque, but if the Jets are seeking young, NHL-ready forwards in return to offset what they would be losing in Kane, then Montreal likely won't be at the top of their list of trade partners.

CALGARY FLAMES

After watching the teams in their own division shore up over the summer, the Flames would love to make a splash of their own by landing one of the best young forwards in the NHL, particularly one who can be an heir apparent for years to come to Jarome Iginla, their 35-year-old captain who is entering into the final year of his contract.

The Flames have several up-and-comers in their system, including their two most recent first-round draft picks in Sven Baertschi and Mark Jankowski who would surely be on the Jets' wish list in any deal potentially involving Kane. As far as roster players are concerned, Calgary has been actively shopping defenseman Jay Bouwmeester and the Jets might have interest in the former Panther, seeing as how his most productive years offensively came while he played in the Southeast Division.

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

The Flyers' most desperate need is on their back end, but after losing the likes of Jaromir Jagr and James van Riemsdyk this summer, one year after jettisoning star forwards Mike Richards and Jeff Carter in separate trades, shoring up their forward ranks is likely high on their to-do list as well.

The Flyers have proved they're not shy about doling out big money as evidenced by their offer sheet to Shea Weber, but they appear hesitant to include the likes of forwards Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn in trade talks. They may soften that stance, however, in a more-involved deal, especially if the Jets were to dangle All-Star blue-liner Dustin Byfuglien, who also has had his share of troubles off the ice over the last year but would be just the stud defenseman the Flyers are very much seeking.

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

After being bounced from the first round of the playoffs in back-to-back seasons following their Stanley Cup championship in 2009, a major shake-up might just be what's needed in the Windy City for the Blackhawks to recapture their status as a perennial contender. Landing a player of Kane's ilk would certainly qualify.

Chicago certainly has plenty of attractive assets that it could offer up, including Patrick Kane, yet another player who might benefit from a change of scenery and has been rumored to be on the block.

A Kane-for-Kane swap might be ideal for the Jets considering they'd be gaining an established superstar who is still very young at 23, has a tremendous amount of upside and is locked into a contract through the 2014-15 season at a reasonable cap hit of $6.3 million.

Interesting but nothing of any substance other than the fact that his name is in play in places not located in the 604 and Vancouver is mentioned as a possibility.

http://www.nwsportsbeat.com/canucks/sho ... ane-24812/
NHL Report: Evander Kane requests trade…Will the Canucks make an offer?
August 24, 2012 By Mitch Dyck • 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Bring Him Home?

Hey everyone, hope your day has been productive and you haven’t scolded yourself numerous times with your Friday afternoon coffee.

Last night at about 8:45 as I was quietly getting ready to watch Big Brother (rip on me all you want, I don’t even care) and my timeline blew up with a report regarding Evander Kane.

Report: Kane requests trade from Jets

The report came courtesy of CTV Regina sports anchor, Julie Stewart-Binks (@JSB_CTV). According to Stewart-Binks, she had been informed by an “inside source” that Evander Kane had requested a trade.

Julie Stewart-Binks@JSB_CTV

According to inside sources, Evander Kane has asked for a trade for a trade from the Winnipeg Jets. Wants to be face of franchise...

23 Aug 12 Reply
Retweet
Favorite

When there’s speculation that a player of Kane’s caliber and potential has demanded a trade, the first thing I think of is: “should the Canucks make an offer for the former Vancouver Giant?”

In a hockey-crazed city, especially during an off-season where CBA and lockout talk runs rampant, this is the perfect bit of news to sit and chew on.

The guy’s had a bobblehead night in town, what more do you need to know?

Not a Surprise?

Back on June 15th it was reported by RDS’ Renaud Lavoie (@renlavoieRDS) that according to a player on the Jets, Kane was refusing to negotiate a new contract with the team.

Renaud P Lavoie@RenLavoieRDS

What's going on with the Jets ? I hear from a player on Winnipeg that Kane doesn't want to negotiate a new deal ?

15 Jun 12 Reply
Retweet
Favorite

Darren Dreger of TSN quickly dispelled the rumor. In fact, roughly a month after the report came out that Kane wasn’t going to negotiate a deal with the Jets it was reported by Gary Lawless (@garylawless) of the Winnipeg Free Press that can Kane and his camp were mulling over a six-year, $29 million dollar contract.

All seemed well, or at least looked to be well regarding the Kane/Winnipeg situation.

So what happened? Is the asking price to high? Does Kane and his camp not interested in the direction the Jets are going? Or does he feel his role has been “diminished”?

If this rumor of a trade request were true, then Vancouver would be smart to step up and make a bold move in trying to acquire the young sniper.

Forget the “Hometown Boy” Theory

Despite being from Vancouver and playing his junior hockey with the hometown Giants, Kane growing up in Vancouver plays little to no part in a potential trade with Vancouver. Sorry to burst that bubble, all four of you who think that matters (Yes, @hockeyyinsiderr, you’re one of them) Hometown doesn’t mean much in this case.

After all, Kane has little to no leverage in this trade. If he did in fact request a trade and the Jets are willing to oblige him and send him on his way, they could send him to Florida, or even Columbus if they wanted to.

Kane growing up in Vancouver plays little to no part in a potential trade with Vancouver.

It should also be noted that Kane is a RFA, and with a lockout being a real possibility in the not too distant future, the Jets have no reason to rush and move him.

What would it take?

Realistically, if Winnipeg is even willing to trade Kane then you have to start by replacing what they’re trading away and that’s goals. So who fits that description on Vancouver? Raymond? Not a toothless chance in hell.

Booth? Hardly.

Burrows? In terms of goal scoring then yes, but Burrows age and inevitable decline in production are two strikes against.

Burrows does have other intangibles make him an interesting question mark though, regardless of age and the inevitable decline in offensive production.

What about a younger player who could be a year or two away from playing in the NHL? Does Nicklas Jensen fit the mold of player that the Jets would be looking for? Is Winnipeg even willing to do something like that?

The Hail Mary

Would Winnipeg trade Kane straight across for Cory Schneider? Would anyone object to that trade?

I’m not quite sure how I feel about it. I know the Jets just locked up Ondrej Pavelec to a five-year $19.5 million dollar contract, but is the possibility of acquiring Schneider enticing enough for the Jets?

Is trading Pavelec to a team that’s a little more desperate for a goalie a viable option?

At the end of the day what person wouldn’t want a player of Kane’s talent? He has the potential to be a dominant player in the NHL for years to come.

But what does Winnipeg want in return and is a 21 year old who is demanding a trade really someone you want to bring into a tight-knit locker room?

So some reporters are apparently starting to appear from the woodwork with Kane rumours.
I say where theres this much smoke theres fire.

So....thoughts?
If you need air...call it in
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Evander Kane

Post by Jovorock »

Schneider for Kane? No way in hell would I do that one. I would like to get Kane but no way for Cory!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

This is a pure pipe dream. That being said given it's late August and there's not much to talk about other than the impending lockout...

I might think hard about Schneider for Kane. It makes absolutely zero sense for the Jets of course, but if that wasn't the case it might be the only move the Canucks could make to add this player without gutting the team.

Looking at the Jets it looks to me like they need both high end talent and better quality depth; however they're not in a position to address all of their needs and given the choice between fixing those two problems I'd guess they'd probably choose to add high end talent.. so there's pretty much no way they deal Kane for a handful of assets.

If that wasn't the case, I'd try to sell them on a return like this:
  • David Booth - he's not the player Evander Kane is, but even last year he scored goals at about 75% of the rate Kane did which means with the same ice time he'll replace most of his production. And starting next year he'll probably cost about 75% of what EK will so it's an adequate fill in.
  • Chris Tanev - obviously Tanev is not going to be a superstar in the league but he's a valuable role player and his strengths (intelligence and mobility) could help the Jets along the blueline without adding significant cost. He could simply solidify their third pairing like he has here, or perhaps he could be a poor man's Tobias Enstrom on a pairing with Byfuglien (whose size and offensive ability would provide a nice foil to Tanev) and free Enstrom up for another assignment.
  • Zack Kassian / Jordan Schroeder / Nicklas Jensen / Brendan Gaunce I'd prefer to include Jensen or Gaunce and would only include Kassian as a last resort - but any of these players has the potential to be a top six player for the Jets on a cheap contract within the next few years.
I think that (and a draft pick or two) would be a fair deal for both sides that might help the Jets fill in a few holes in their roster, but I totally understand why they'd have no interest in a deal like this unless their hands were tied.

Frankly if they find themselves in a position to shop Kane on the open market, I could see 5-10 teams blowing this offer out of the water.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jovorock wrote:Schneider for Kane? No way in hell would I do that one. I would like to get Kane but no way for Cory!
No worries on that trade coming to fruition. The Jets GM would be hung if he made that deal.

UDL, Shane Doan is not a 3rd liner. He is a top 6 forward on ANY NHL team.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Fair enough blob, he would be an immediate upgrade.
He is, however, aging and if not "over the hill" yet, will be in a time period best counted in months not years.

I feel we need to start replacing our top gunners with youngsters sooner rather than later as the Sedins won't be elite players for much longer.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Kane has no leverage (remember I'm the Winnipeg guy) other coming out and demanding a trade and holding out- like Turris. He also brings baggage. Not sure why Gillis would go after him when he is developing Kassian to be that player.

Kane is really north south and rarely back-checks and still needs tons of work in his own zone. He would drive AV nuts. In fact he and Raymond are similar in their penchant to drive wide and go to the net, Kane is just bigger and stronger with more success.

As for trading- I see nothing the Canucks have that makes sense to part with in an effort to acquire Kane.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Vpete wrote:Kane has no leverage (remember I'm the Winnipeg guy) other coming out and demanding a trade and holding out- like Turris. He also brings baggage. Not sure why Gillis would go after him when he is developing Kassian to be that player.

Kane is really north south and rarely back-checks and still needs tons of work in his own zone. He would drive AV nuts. In fact he and Raymond are similar in their penchant to drive wide and go to the net, Kane is just bigger and stronger with more success.

As for trading- I see nothing the Canucks have that makes sense to part with in an effort to acquire Kane.
Thanks Pete. I agree, Kassian is the brawn that Gillis is hoping for.

Kane is talented, but he's not the only player like that in the league and he's not worth gutting our team over.
Uncle dans leg wrote: I feel we need to start replacing our top gunners with youngsters sooner rather than later as the Sedins won't be elite players for much longer.
And you do this by trading a 26-year old D-man entering his prime and puts up top-10 offensive numbers from the point? Adding to that you trade away the teams last 2 first round draft choices and their next first round choice. If you want to prepare for the future, selling all of it away for one player is the exact opposite of what I'd advocate.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I said top gunners. In all likelyhood Jensen won't be a top gunner but rather a support player. Gaunce has more offensive upside I agree but the chances of either of them matching the potential that Kane has already showed is pretty slim.

Also, I wasn't actually advocating the trade proposal I wrote, only that it would likely take a package consisting of these players if we had any chance at all. Quit passively trying to make me out to be a dumb fuck. Y'all have had your own moments of stupidity over the years. I've been on here for years too and am not some newb dumb ass.

Don't sell what Evander Kane brings too short. He is a bonafide top talent who will dominate when he's grown up a bit more.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I said top gunners. In all likelyhood Jensen won't be a top gunner but rather a support player. Gaunce has more offensive upside I agree but the chances of either of them matching the potential that Kane has already showed is pretty slim.

Also, I wasn't actually advocating the trade proposal I wrote, only that it would likely take a package consisting of these players if we had any chance at all. Quit passively trying to make me out to be a dumb fuck. Y'all have had your own moments of stupidity over the years. I've been on here for years too and am not some newb dumb ass.

Don't sell what Evander Kane brings too short. He is a bonafide top talent who will dominate when he's grown up a bit more.
You are out to fucking lunch if you think Gaunce has more offensive upside than Jensen.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Not sure I would charcterise Kane as a power forward just yet, but he is a fantastic young player with loads of upside.

If he's available Gillis should push hard.

That said Edler is a non starter for me as we would be very unbalanced with out Edler. With the current make up of the team we are better with Edler.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

And you know what the first thing folks will be saying as soon as we trade Edler? "uuuuuhhh, we need a defenseman. Gillis needs to get a defenseman."

Sort of like when we traded CoHO..."uuuuuuuhhhhhh we need a 3rd line centre. Gillis needs to get a 3rd line centre."

Seriously, if we trade Edler and not replace that, our defense group will be the shittiest we've seen in years.

I would dearly love a Kane but not for Edler. It would have to be a forward, prospect and picks going back the other way. Think Hansen, Kassian and a first round pick. Even that is a shite offer for Kane. The only way I see it getting done is for Gillis to make it happen through a 3 way involving Luongo.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:I said top gunners. In all likelyhood Jensen won't be a top gunner but rather a support player. Gaunce has more offensive upside I agree but the chances of either of them matching the potential that Kane has already showed is pretty slim.

You are out to fucking lunch if you think Gaunce has more offensive upside than Jensen.
Well that's a matter of opinion isn't it considering neither of us has seen the kid play. He lead his team in scoring this past year so he's not exactly a plugger. In my opinion he has more offensive upside than NJ. My
opinion dude.
Why are some people here so angry anyway? I'm only posting hockey opinions and seem to be having to defend every single point I make. Many here like to talk about hockey but some seem far more interested in alienating themselves and causing shit. You usually have many good points RD but the hostility is worrying... Call your mom already and let's move on. It's not your fault.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I agree about Edler btw. We need more defenseman, not less.
I just happen to really like Kane and would love him in blue/green.
As I've said, I woudnt want to gut the team to get him.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Well that's a matter of opinion isn't it considering neither of us has seen the kid play. He lead his team in scoring this past year so he's not exactly a plugger. In my opinion he has more offensive upside than NJ. My
opinion dude.

Why are some people here so angry anyway? I'm only posting hockey opinions and seem to be having to defend every single point I make. Many here like to talk about hockey but some seem far more interested in alienating themselves and causing shit. You usually have many good points RD but the hostility is worrying... Call your mom already and let's move on. It's not your fault.

Well done UDL, well done!! :thumbs:

Yep WAY too much hostility around here.....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Oh and no way do your Vancouver Canucks acquire Evander Kane.
____
Try to focus on someday.