Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7556
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Cornuck » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 am

Meds wrote:Eddie Lack was extended today.
...and he seems really happy about it! :D

Image
2018-19 - The Road to 82

User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Tciso » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Meds wrote:Eddie Lack was extended today.

2 year deal. First year is a 2-way contract worth $650K/85K (NHL/AHL) and the second year is a 1-way contract worth $850K.

Seems like they aren't taking any chances where Luongo is concerned, and ensuring that Lack is on a 2-way deal for the "upcoming" season, I think that could be a sign that the market for Bobby Lou is not as hot as Gillis is trying to sell it as.

We're gonna start our next campaign with almost $10M tied up in the crease. :roll:
My guess is that they were still able to have next season as a 2-way, with no waiver restrictions, but the following year, he'd be waiver eligible, so he's one way that year.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7930
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Island Nucklehead » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Tciso wrote:
Meds wrote:Eddie Lack was extended today.

2 year deal. First year is a 2-way contract worth $650K/85K (NHL/AHL) and the second year is a 1-way contract worth $850K.

Seems like they aren't taking any chances where Luongo is concerned, and ensuring that Lack is on a 2-way deal for the "upcoming" season, I think that could be a sign that the market for Bobby Lou is not as hot as Gillis is trying to sell it as.

We're gonna start our next campaign with almost $10M tied up in the crease. :roll:
My guess is that they were still able to have next season as a 2-way, with no waiver restrictions, but the following year, he'd be waiver eligible, so he's one way that year.
Waivers have nothing to do with 1/2-way contracts. It's all based on games played. The difference is he will make 850K in year two regardless of which league he plays in.

I see this as a sign that the Canucks have no plans for him to backup Schneider this season. If they thought he'd be in the NHL post-training camp, they wouldn't have bothered with a two-way deal.

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3294
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Jovocop » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Meds wrote:Eddie Lack was extended today.

2 year deal. First year is a 2-way contract worth $650K/85K (NHL/AHL) and the second year is a 1-way contract worth $850K.

Seems like they aren't taking any chances where Luongo is concerned, and ensuring that Lack is on a 2-way deal for the "upcoming" season, I think that could be a sign that the market for Bobby Lou is not as hot as Gillis is trying to sell it as.

We're gonna start our next campaign with almost $10M tied up in the crease. :roll:
My guess is that they were still able to have next season as a 2-way, with no waiver restrictions, but the following year, he'd be waiver eligible, so he's one way that year.
Waivers have nothing to do with 1/2-way contracts. It's all based on games played. The difference is he will make 850K in year two regardless of which league he plays in.

I see this as a sign that the Canucks have no plans for him to backup Schneider this season. If they thought he'd be in the NHL post-training camp, they wouldn't have bothered with a two-way deal.
I would not be so sure. Lack is not a lock for sure.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7930
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Island Nucklehead » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:47 pm

Jovocop wrote: I would not be so sure. Lack is not a lock for sure.
I see him as Cory Schneider circa 09-10. He may get the call to join the big club should injuries occur, but I think he spends the year getting close to 55 starts in the AHL.

IMO, starting the season with Schneider and Lack is going from a position of extreme depth (Luongo/Schneider) to potential disaster. I don't think the Canucks are prepared to hand the Stork 30 NHL games at this point.

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by FAN » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Raccoon wrote: The Ryan situation is the same. The basic premise is - Bobby Ryan was upset that his name kept coming up in trade rumors. Whether that was a result of the Ducks shopping him, or other teams inquiring about him - we don't know. Either way his name was out there and it put him on edge. Now Bjugstads name is out there. How will he feel about these rumors considering he's never even played a game for the Panthers.
No the Ryan situation isn't the same. Bobby Ryan was upset because he was reportedly being shopped, not because other teams were inquiring about him. Many respected media guys reported that Ryan was being shopped and Bob Murray never came out and denied this. Think about it, why would a player be upset to learn that another team has inquired about him but his team is unwilling to trade him? If you're a good player you expect teams to want you. You want to hear that other teams want you. The important thing is that the team you play for also wants you. Take Cory Schneider for example. He's been involved in countless trade rumors in the past. Gillis has been steadfast in keeping Schneider and saying Schneider was a big part of the Canucks' future. Do you think Schneider was hurt by the fact he was in these trade rumors to begin with? I don't think so.
Raccoon wrote: My best guess is that they came from someone other than Tallon. And if that's the case, how credible are they? These hockey insiders don't have to cite their sources. And guys like Dreger have been so offbase with their Luongo coverage that I really don't believe any of them are getting any real info.
It probably did come from someone other than Tallon. That happens all the time. Our very own HW has a source with the Canucks and she's had it for such a long time that I don't think it's Mike Gillis himself who is talking to HW. As for Dreger, he's been a huge rumor-mill-whore this season for some reason, but Dreger pretty much lost touch with the Canucks as soon as Nonis left and Gillis came onboard.

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by FAN » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:51 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote: I see this as a sign that the Canucks have no plans for him to backup Schneider this season. If they thought he'd be in the NHL post-training camp, they wouldn't have bothered with a two-way deal.
Lack starting the year in the AHL is definitely a strong possibility. Everyone seems to on the same page in suggesting that while talented, Lack can use more AHL seasoning as he has lots to learn. But ya, the chances are that Schneider's backup goalie will be a goalie from the Luongo trade.
Island Nucklehead wrote: I don't think the Canucks are prepared to hand the Stork 30 NHL games at this point.
No. But even with a good backup, the goal is probably to give the backup 20-25 games.

Edit: Another thing that just sprung to mind is that having Lack's contract be two-way for next season means that the Canucks are lockout-protecting themselves as well. Lack can be assigned to the AHL if there is a lockout and if he's on a one-way deal, the Canucks will be paying hundreds of thousand dollars more.

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 4962
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Uncle dans leg » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:28 pm

I see Luongo is starting to get anxious!
"It makes sense to go to Florida" according to an interview done today and posted on TSN.

Can't see it helping MG's cause having him starting to say things like this in the media.
nobody forks...with the jesus

User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by the Dogsalmon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:As long as the CBA talks continue I see no Luongo deal. Until the CBA gets done whats the rush?
The new CBA could change the cap or salaries or a variety of things. So unless a deal is close now I doubt it gets done until there is CBA certainty and teams can assess things like cap space and roster needs. Maybe there comes a buy out window and if there is one then teams out of the running may suddenly be in the running. I just think that as time passes it makes more sense for a deal to be done once the CBA is done.

If MG can lock up Burrows and Edler and land Doan it also changes the landscape for us with respect to needs moving forward.


Of course now that I have said all this a deal will get done within the next week. Like cigarettes and buses. :D

i got it all except for the cigarettes and buses part...

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13244
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 pm

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:As long as the CBA talks continue I see no Luongo deal. Until the CBA gets done whats the rush?
The new CBA could change the cap or salaries or a variety of things. So unless a deal is close now I doubt it gets done until there is CBA certainty and teams can assess things like cap space and roster needs. Maybe there comes a buy out window and if there is one then teams out of the running may suddenly be in the running. I just think that as time passes it makes more sense for a deal to be done once the CBA is done.

If MG can lock up Burrows and Edler and land Doan it also changes the landscape for us with respect to needs moving forward.


Of course now that I have said all this a deal will get done within the next week. Like cigarettes and buses. :D

i got it all except for the cigarettes and buses part...
Everyone who smokes, or used to smoke, knows that when you are waiting for a bus all you have to do is light a smoke and a bus will come. It works. :D
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8370
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by rats19 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:45 pm

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:As long as the CBA talks continue I see no Luongo deal. Until the CBA gets done whats the rush?
The new CBA could change the cap or salaries or a variety of things. So unless a deal is close now I doubt it gets done until there is CBA certainty and teams can assess things like cap space and roster needs. Maybe there comes a buy out window and if there is one then teams out of the running may suddenly be in the running. I just think that as time passes it makes more sense for a deal to be done once the CBA is done.

If MG can lock up Burrows and Edler and land Doan it also changes the landscape for us with respect to needs moving forward.


Of course now that I have said all this a deal will get done within the next week. Like cigarettes and buses. :D

i got it all except for the cigarettes and buses part...
cigarettes dirty up the landscape and buses move forward...sheesh some people! :sly:
You are who you hang with.....

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7556
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Cornuck » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Everyone who smokes, or used to smoke, knows that when you are waiting for a bus all you have to do is light a smoke and a bus will come. It works. :D
So if all of us fans light up at once, will the CBA get signed? Or just Canucks fans? Will Luongo get traded? :D


Disclaimer: This post is not to be construed as support for smoking.
2018-19 - The Road to 82

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8370
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by rats19 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:As long as the CBA talks continue I see no Luongo deal. Until the CBA gets done whats the rush?
The new CBA could change the cap or salaries or a variety of things. So unless a deal is close now I doubt it gets done until there is CBA certainty and teams can assess things like cap space and roster needs. Maybe there comes a buy out window and if there is one then teams out of the running may suddenly be in the running. I just think that as time passes it makes more sense for a deal to be done once the CBA is done.

If MG can lock up Burrows and Edler and land Doan it also changes the landscape for us with respect to needs moving forward.


Of course now that I have said all this a deal will get done within the next week. Like cigarettes and buses. :D

i got it all except for the cigarettes and buses part...
Everyone who smokes, or used to smoke, knows that when you are waiting for a bus all you have to do is light a smoke and a bus will come. It works. :D
nailed it...lol
You are who you hang with.....

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9794
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Topper » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:34 pm

just like dropping your pants for a dump when waiting for a helicopter
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8370
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by rats19 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Topper wrote:just like dropping your pants for a dump when waiting for a helicopter
lmfao...too much tops..too much :mrgreen:
You are who you hang with.....

Post Reply