Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:47 am

As long as the CBA talks continue I see no Luongo deal. Until the CBA gets done whats the rush?
The new CBA could change the cap or salaries or a variety of things. So unless a deal is close now I doubt it gets done until there is CBA certainty and teams can assess things like cap space and roster needs. Maybe there comes a buy out window and if there is one then teams out of the running may suddenly be in the running. I just think that as time passes it makes more sense for a deal to be done once the CBA is done.

If MG can lock up Burrows and Edler and land Doan it also changes the landscape for us with respect to needs moving forward.


Of course now that I have said all this a deal will get done within the next week. Like cigarettes and buses. :D
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:47 am

Tallon is not trading Gudbranson, especially to the team that just took Garrison from him. How many more defenseman is Tallon willing to lose? Ain't happenin'.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:19 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Tallon is not trading Gudbranson, especially to the team that just took Garrison from him. How many more defenseman is Tallon willing to lose? Ain't happenin'.


Cool story bro....

Didn't you hear Marian Gaborik bought a house here and plans on playing here ....... ?

Oh yeah ........ :stupid:
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2757
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Tallon is not trading Gudbranson, especially to the team that just took Garrison from him. How many more defenseman is Tallon willing to lose? Ain't happenin'.


Cool story bro....

Didn't you hear Marian Gaborik bought a house here and plans on playing here ....... ?

Oh yeah ........ :stupid:


How the hell is that a story Blobby WildCat Beers? That's no story that is just me thinking with common sense. Tallon loses Garrison to us, has he replaced Garrison yet? Maybe he has, not sure, can't remember whom the Panthers signed this off-season, but that being said, I think it's safe to assume that Garrison was big part of that back end in FLA. So I think it would be safe to assume that losing another important defenseman in Gudbranson is a pretty easy guesstimate for me or anybody with brains in thinking that 'WE AIN'T GETTING HIM FOR LUONGO' That would be two big loses on their back end, Blobby. I just don't see Tallon catering to Gillis needs especially after losing out on a bidding war to Gillis for Garrison.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Jovocop » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:40 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Tallon is not trading Gudbranson, especially to the team that just took Garrison from him. How many more defenseman is Tallon willing to lose? Ain't happenin'.


Cool story bro....

Didn't you hear Marian Gaborik bought a house here and plans on playing here ....... ?

Oh yeah ........ :stupid:


How the hell is that a story Blobby WildCat Beers? That's no story that is just me thinking with common sense. Tallon loses Garrison to us, has he replaced Garrison yet? Maybe he has, not sure, can't remember whom the Panthers signed this off-season, but that being said, I think it's safe to assume that Garrison was big part of that back end in FLA. So I think it would be safe to assume that losing another important defenseman in Gudbranson is a pretty easy guesstimate for me or anybody with brains in thinking that 'WE AIN'T GETTING HIM FOR LUONGO' That would be two big loses on their back end, Blobby. I just don't see Tallon catering to Gillis needs especially after losing out on a bidding war to Gillis for Garrison.


Not too long ago, you just said that Tallon did not care to re-sign Garrison. All of a sudden, he was a big part of their back end? :?:
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Meds » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Eddie Lack was extended today.

2 year deal. First year is a 2-way contract worth $650K/85K (NHL/AHL) and the second year is a 1-way contract worth $850K.

Seems like they aren't taking any chances where Luongo is concerned, and ensuring that Lack is on a 2-way deal for the "upcoming" season, I think that could be a sign that the market for Bobby Lou is not as hot as Gillis is trying to sell it as.

We're gonna start our next campaign with almost $10M tied up in the crease. :roll:
User avatar
Meds
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2755
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Raccoon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:41 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Tallon is not trading Gudbranson, especially to the team that just took Garrison from him. How many more defenseman is Tallon willing to lose? Ain't happenin'.



It's a good point that Tallon lost a big piece on their back end this summer (Garrison), but the Canucks didn't take him away. He was a free agent - he could sign where he wanted. They signed Kuba in hopes of replacing him. But they also lost an important forward in Samuelsson. So any way you look at it, they lost key pieces throughout their roster this summer.
Raccoon
AHL Prospect
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby vic » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Jovocop wrote:Not too long ago, you just said that Tallon did not care to re-sign Garrison. All of a sudden, he was a big part of their back end? :?:


He's volatile retarded
User avatar
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby FAN » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:32 am

Raccoon wrote:I'm not sure why Tallon, or anyone in the Panthers org, would release info regarding their players. You start releasing names of your own players in potential trades - things are bound to get ugly (see Bobby Ryan). Tallon and Gillis have done business in the past, none of those trade details have been leaked beforehand. Allen could be right, or he could be making an educated guess. Wouldn't be the first time these 'hockey insiders' have done so.

The Bobby Ryan situation is completely different because it was the Ducks themselves that reportedly shopped Ryan around. For Tallon and the Panthers organization, they have very little to lose in releasing names of players they are reportedly unwilling to package in a deal for Luongo. If the players don't get traded then Tallon sends the message that they like them enough to not part with them, and if they do get traded well then it isn't their problem.

You make a good point about Tallon and Gillis having done business in the past and little to none of the trade details were leaked beforehand, but there are media guys that some GMs talk to and a quid pro quo scenario is likely unavoidable. I guess this situation is different than past dealings between the two GMs in the sense that it's no secret that Luongo is being shopped around and that the Panthers are interested. The way I see it, there's very little to lose in saying the Canucks have asked for Bjustad (good for him) and Tallon is not willing to part with him (good for him).
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Raccoon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:34 am

FAN wrote:
Raccoon wrote:I'm not sure why Tallon, or anyone in the Panthers org, would release info regarding their players. You start releasing names of your own players in potential trades - things are bound to get ugly (see Bobby Ryan). Tallon and Gillis have done business in the past, none of those trade details have been leaked beforehand. Allen could be right, or he could be making an educated guess. Wouldn't be the first time these 'hockey insiders' have done so.

The Bobby Ryan situation is completely different because it was the Ducks themselves that reportedly shopped Ryan around. For Tallon and the Panthers organization, they have very little to lose in releasing names of players they are reportedly unwilling to package in a deal for Luongo. If the players don't get traded then Tallon sends the message that they like them enough to not part with them, and if they do get traded well then it isn't their problem.

You make a good point about Tallon and Gillis having done business in the past and little to none of the trade details were leaked beforehand, but there are media guys that some GMs talk to and a quid pro quo scenario is likely unavoidable. I guess this situation is different than past dealings between the two GMs in the sense that it's no secret that Luongo is being shopped around and that the Panthers are interested. The way I see it, there's very little to lose in saying the Canucks have asked for Bjugstad (good for him) and Tallon is not willing to part with him (good for him).


The Ryan situation is the same. The basic premise is - Bobby Ryan was upset that his name kept coming up in trade rumors. Whether that was a result of the Ducks shopping him, or other teams inquiring about him - we don't know. Either way his name was out there and it put him on edge. Now Bjugstads name is out there. How will he feel about these rumors considering he's never even played a game for the Panthers. Gillis has said many times he likes to conduct trades under the radar because players are people and they have families that are affected by the rumors.

The Luongo situation is different, like you said, in the sense it's widely known that Luongos available (or potentially available). But it doesn't change the fact that there are so many reasons why Tallon wouldn't leak his own players name to the media. There's potentially a lot to lose. The 'potential' of alienating 'player X who's tied to rumors' is high. The potential of hurting your own negotiating power with other team is high. The potential of sending your fanbase into a frenzy is high. These are risks a negotiator (Tallon) would never intentionally put themselves in. My best guess is that they came from someone other than Tallon. And if that's the case, how credible are they? These hockey insiders don't have to cite their sources. And guys like Dreger have been so offbase with their Luongo coverage that I really don't believe any of them are getting any real info.
Raccoon
AHL Prospect
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:33 am

Meds wrote:Eddie Lack was extended today.

2 year deal. First year is a 2-way contract worth $650K/85K (NHL/AHL) and the second year is a 1-way contract worth $850K.

Seems like they aren't taking any chances where Luongo is concerned, and ensuring that Lack is on a 2-way deal for the "upcoming" season, I think that could be a sign that the market for Bobby Lou is not as hot as Gillis is trying to sell it as.

We're gonna start our next campaign with almost $10M tied up in the crease. :roll:


Lack's deal has nothing to do with Luongo. It only means we tie up our AHL goalie prospect for 2 more years. 1-way vs 2-way deals only affect how much money a player makes. Lack's group obviously felt he was worth NHL money in year 2, and the Canucks are fine paying him that to play either here or in the AHL. I don't see how it immediately affects the Canucks and Luongo.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3496
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Cornuck » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 am

Meds wrote:Eddie Lack was extended today.


...and he seems really happy about it! :D

Image
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4574
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Chester, NE

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Tciso » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Meds wrote:Eddie Lack was extended today.

2 year deal. First year is a 2-way contract worth $650K/85K (NHL/AHL) and the second year is a 1-way contract worth $850K.

Seems like they aren't taking any chances where Luongo is concerned, and ensuring that Lack is on a 2-way deal for the "upcoming" season, I think that could be a sign that the market for Bobby Lou is not as hot as Gillis is trying to sell it as.

We're gonna start our next campaign with almost $10M tied up in the crease. :roll:


My guess is that they were still able to have next season as a 2-way, with no waiver restrictions, but the following year, he'd be waiver eligible, so he's one way that year.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Tciso wrote:
Meds wrote:Eddie Lack was extended today.

2 year deal. First year is a 2-way contract worth $650K/85K (NHL/AHL) and the second year is a 1-way contract worth $850K.

Seems like they aren't taking any chances where Luongo is concerned, and ensuring that Lack is on a 2-way deal for the "upcoming" season, I think that could be a sign that the market for Bobby Lou is not as hot as Gillis is trying to sell it as.

We're gonna start our next campaign with almost $10M tied up in the crease. :roll:


My guess is that they were still able to have next season as a 2-way, with no waiver restrictions, but the following year, he'd be waiver eligible, so he's one way that year.


Waivers have nothing to do with 1/2-way contracts. It's all based on games played. The difference is he will make 850K in year two regardless of which league he plays in.

I see this as a sign that the Canucks have no plans for him to backup Schneider this season. If they thought he'd be in the NHL post-training camp, they wouldn't have bothered with a two-way deal.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3496
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Jovocop » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Meds wrote:Eddie Lack was extended today.

2 year deal. First year is a 2-way contract worth $650K/85K (NHL/AHL) and the second year is a 1-way contract worth $850K.

Seems like they aren't taking any chances where Luongo is concerned, and ensuring that Lack is on a 2-way deal for the "upcoming" season, I think that could be a sign that the market for Bobby Lou is not as hot as Gillis is trying to sell it as.

We're gonna start our next campaign with almost $10M tied up in the crease. :roll:


My guess is that they were still able to have next season as a 2-way, with no waiver restrictions, but the following year, he'd be waiver eligible, so he's one way that year.


Waivers have nothing to do with 1/2-way contracts. It's all based on games played. The difference is he will make 850K in year two regardless of which league he plays in.

I see this as a sign that the Canucks have no plans for him to backup Schneider this season. If they thought he'd be in the NHL post-training camp, they wouldn't have bothered with a two-way deal.


I would not be so sure. Lack is not a lock for sure.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Lancer and 6 guests