Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

Post by Benjo »

I went into TR on a cheap Tuesday without having seen any previews...Don't bother, especially if you are going to measure it up against the Arnold version they are 2 completely unrelated movies with characters that happen to have the same names.

After going through a few full TV series recently (Game of thrones, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy) movies just seem so disappointing. I don't know if its just the rushed and forced character development due to time constraints or the ridiculous CGI action scenes they're force feeding us now but more often than not I'm leaving the theater wondering why the hell I just gave a film company 30-50 bucks for producing garbage. I doubt I'll hit the theatre again until the Hobbit is out.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Benjo wrote:I went into TR on a cheap Tuesday without having seen any previews...Don't bother, especially if you are going to measure it up against the Arnold version they are 2 completely unrelated movies with characters that happen to have the same names.

After going through a few full TV series recently (Game of thrones, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy) movies just seem so disappointing. I don't know if its just the rushed and forced character development due to time constraints or the ridiculous CGI action scenes they're force feeding us now but more often than not I'm leaving the theater wondering why the hell I just gave a film company 30-50 bucks for producing garbage. I doubt I'll hit the theatre again until the Hobbit is out.
Meh, Prometheus is look'n all that more deeper 8-) ...the first We Can Remember For You Wholesale wasn't that great so I don't know why this version is going to make it better(saw this being made while on a family bike ride....flying cars and everything, amazing how much of a deal everyone makes of movies...),if any of you minions want a real new PKD film then you may have to think outside the norm and do some work (as opposed to push an instant)...Radio Free Albemuth http://radiofreealbemuth.com

Great book and an excellent film. Eerily like the US of A of today...not that I want to disrupt anyones reality distortion field or escapist fiction :mex:

Speaking of virtual reality.....Jiro Dreams of Sushi is a goodu'n if you are looking for something a little satisfyingly different this Summer (just can't watch any superhero films this year...feels like eating 50 Big Macs in a sitting...)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well decided to check Total Recall and the Expendables 2 this past weekend, gotta say TR isn't all that bad, I watched the 90s version beforehand and was ready to be disappointed from the 2012 version but it's actually alright!

Superb special effects, ok storyline, and some good action.

Expendables 2, was ok, typical blast everything in sight non stop action flick, so I actually liked TR a bit more.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Wifey and I saw the new Bourne on the weekend.

Yeah we both liked it, agreed that it wasn't quite as good as the other Bournes, but still a really good movie.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:Wifey and I saw the new Bourne on the weekend.

Yeah we both liked it, agreed that it wasn't quite as good as the other Bournes, but still a really good movie.
Agreed not bad, seen that in the good ol' USA, basically I'm hoping the next one has Jason Bourne teaming up with the new guy or they go after each other.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:Wifey and I saw the new Bourne on the weekend.

Thought it was nearly on par with "Identity" and "Ultimatum" and blew the shit out of Supremacy.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If you liked the Lord of the Rings, you'll like the Hobbit.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Cornuck wrote:If you liked the Lord of the Rings, you'll like the Hobbit.
Where's the love? Not getting the best reviews but as a Tolkien nut (I actually read the Silmarillion...and liked it :shock: )

Going to a Christmas party at the university pub tonight and then off to the Bagginses :drink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Arachnid wrote:
Cornuck wrote:If you liked the Lord of the Rings, you'll like the Hobbit.
Where's the love? Not getting the best reviews but as a Tolkien nut (I actually read the Silmarillion...and liked it :shock: )

Going to a Christmas party at the university pub tonight and then off to the Bagginses :drink:
:lol: why am I not surprised :D
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Going to see the hobbit tonight!

Can't imagine it could be anywhere as good at LOTR?!?!

#mightgetahandjobduringtheslowparts
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ODB wrote:Going to see the hobbit tonight!

Can't imagine it could be anywhere as good at LOTR?!?!

#mightgetahandjobduringtheslowparts

ODB, do you even talk hockey at all or are you just an Open Forum Surfer King?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: ODB, do you even talk hockey at all or are you just an Open Forum Surfer King?
GM rightly accused Bunny of that many times.

But of course YOU are way off on THIS one.

A quick check reveals only 59% of ODB's posts are in this forum.

That percentage would be even lower if ODB repeated himself ad nauseam in HT like a certain you-know-wot.

ODB has always been a quality over quantity guy.

Ya might say he's YOUR polar opposite in that regard. Image

Welcome back Ohdee, how was Mexico? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: ODB, do you even talk hockey at all or are you just an Open Forum Surfer King?

Ya might say he's YOUR polar opposite in that regard.
lol

I'm going to check Jack Reacher tonight, seen the Hobbit last week, twas pretty cool not as bad ass as the original LOTR trilogy, but nice to see some back story to it.

I enjoyed Django Unchained, a great western flick.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
GM rightly accused Bunny of that many times.

But of course YOU are way off on THIS one.

A quick check reveals only 59% of ODB's posts are in this forum.

That percentage would be even lower if ODB repeated himself ad nauseam in HT like a certain you-know-wot.

Ya might say he's YOUR polar opposite in that regard. Image

Welcome back Ohdee, how was Mexico? :mex:

Say what you will, Abbotsford. I just can't respect someone who spends all his time in the Open Forum, Non-hockey discussion area of Hockey boards without engaging in any enlightening hockey talking whatsoever.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Say what you will, Abbotsford. I just can't respect someone who spends all his time in the Open Forum, Non-hockey discussion area of Hockey boards without engaging in any enlightening hockey talking whatsoever.
So you don't respect...... Bunny?? :eh:

LOFL "enlightenment" in your world is slagging your Vancouver Canucks at every turn!

No offense Mr Naysayer, but you're nothing but a two-bit self-loathing you-know-wot! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.