Obstruction Crackdown going to last?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Will the crackdown last?

Yes This year is different, the game will get better
35%
No, Crackdown will fold like Paris Hilton
31%
Playoffs will still be cutch and grab
35%
I thought 'Crackdown' was Bob's nickname.......
No votes

Total votes: 26

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Obstruction Crackdown going to last?

Post by Madcombinepilot »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=136320

Most significant part of the article:
"How are we going to go about it? Every player will have a choice: commit the foul or not to commit the foul," said Walkom, a 41-year-old native of North Bay, Ont. "I'm not going to predict how many penalties there are going to be in a game, all I'm going to predict is that our guys are going to call the standard as they're directed to do. And whatever the result is, it is."

everyone from GMs and coaches and players got involved in coming up with this crackdown. And perhaps more significantly, the NHL took one of its top referees - still in his prime - and put him in the boardroom to lead the crackdown from up above
So, do you think it will last through the playoffs??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Kitscanucks
AHL Prospect

Post by Kitscanucks »

Difficult to say but the league will be better for it if they do stick with the rules as they are written.....
JonnyLaRue
AHL Prospect

Post by JonnyLaRue »

All they need to do is be consistent. Either they call it or they don’t. Past experience says the NHL has totally lost all credibility in this area So because they seem to have made a decision to crack down on obstruction it is their chance to regain the confidence of the fans by actually consistently calling obstruction throughout the year and into the playoffs.
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

i have a feeling that they will start calling it too much to begin the season and then it will lessen but not to the stage it was at last year, it will lessen to the level its supposed to be and from there a precedent will be established
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

From every account that I've read, things will be different. First of all, the league acknowledges that previous 'crackdowns' were a joke.

Since the fans have screamed for this for the past few years, we won't be able to complain at all when it happens. It's up to the players to realize that they will[/i go to the box and be responsible for their actions.

Of course, come playoff time, who knows what will happen. Either players will be used to it, or we'll see series decided on what would normally be called 'nothing' calls.

I expect a parade to the penailty box for the first month or so, no matter what happens.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Heavy_P
AHL Prospect

Post by Heavy_P »

I hope they call the rules, it makes the Canucks a better team, but they always say their going to change, and they never do.

So who knows.
"No, if your jaw were broken, you would'nt be able to talk...and my life would be much easier." - Oracle
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

It might work through the season, but that will rapidly die as the post season rolls around. I just dont see how they could call all obstruction without sending everyone who touches the ice to the penalty box.
It is a nice idea that they are trying to cut down on obstruction, but it won't work. I just can't see it lasting for more then a few months...
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

After all these years i just believe it when i see it. :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
littlebert
AHL Prospect

Post by littlebert »

took the words right out of my keyboard cookie
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

levelheaded wrote:It might work through the season, but that will rapidly die as the post season rolls around. I just dont see how they could call all obstruction without sending everyone who touches the ice to the penalty box.
It is a nice idea that they are trying to cut down on obstruction, but it won't work. I just can't see it lasting for more then a few months...
Yup, playoffs are the key for me. I know I repeat this all the time, but we, the FANS, will never allow them to call it properly in the playoffs. There might be improvement (say, to the level of a 1996-era regular season game or something), which would be nice, but no way in HELL will they enforce the rulebook as it's written in the playoffs, in front of millions of Don Cherry fans screaming "Let the players play!"

But the decline will be gradual (by February, things will be back to about normal), so no one will notice the hypocrisy. If they would call the game properly, the Canucks and Senators would probably have played for a Cup by now. :mad:
Miller Time
AHL Prospect

Post by Miller Time »

Anyone notice that there is an ad on that page to win a Harley Davidson meanwhile the article talks about how the refs are dealing with the loss of Stephane Provost due to a motorcycle accident. Seems a little ironic.

I agree with Cookie, I'll believe it when I see it.
Stupidity doesn't count as a handicap - park elsewhere.
mindseht
AHL Prospect

Post by mindseht »

I agree with JohnnyLaRule all they need to do this year is be consistant, eventually after a player gets a 500+ penalty minute year they'll figure out the league has changed a bit :shock:
MiNdSeHt~
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

They have certainly mentioned obstruction crackdowns before and we all know its been a bit of a joke ... but now really is the critical time ... If they are seriously interested in bettering the game it is going to be essential that the crack down, combined with the other rules, sticks for good to ensure the product on the ice is new and attractive ...

I think the lockout just might have been the opportunity they needed to completely analyze the game... actually use the time and break to their advantage to make things better and shift the overall viewpoint of the game... and hopefully earn some of the lost integrity and credibility back.

Grizz
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I just watched the 'new NHL' video... in the part where they were talking about pinning players to the boards to break the cycle, and how ita an obstruction penalty... if they really call that as shown in the video, the Twins are going to get a lot more scoring chances....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.