Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by Fred »

Dan Rosen for NHL.com asked himself five questions to avoid generating any actual content prior to the impending lockout.

Since it’s Friday, I really have nothing better to do than respond to them. “There are some questions that the Canucks will have to answer over the course of the season if they want to stay atop the NHL and remain a legitimate Stanley Cup contender,” Rosen deduces. “Here are five worth pondering right now.”

1. WHEN WILL RYAN KESLER MAKE HIS SEASON DEBUT?

It’s a good question, and one many Vancouverites would love to known the answer to, but the reality is we don’t know. Luckily, before even trying to answer this question, Rosen asks a better question:

Perhaps the better question is will Kesler ever be the same player he was two seasons ago, when he scored 41 goals and won the Selke Trophy?

So You’re An Expert has an excellent post on Ryan Kesler from this week, and many fans and media fall into the trap of percentages, reputation, role and expectations. The real answer is that a lot of things went right for Kesler in 2011, and, no, he isn’t actually a 41-goal scorer.

2. HOW WILL B.C. NATIVE JASON GARRISON FARE AFTER SIGNING A BIG CONTRACT?

Richer? I don’t know, Rosen asserts that Garrison cashed in on “a” big season, rather than “two” big seasons, which are the only two full seasons Garrison has spent in the NHL. He won’t score as much, which will lead people like Dan Rosen to question the signing.

3. IS CHRIS TANEV READY FOR A FULL-TIME ROLE?

Yes. But that’s not even a question. That’s like asking if peanut butter is ready to be spread with jam.

4. CAN DAVID BOOTH PRODUCE LIKE A TOP-SIX FORWARD?

Mathematically, there can be 180 top-six forwards in the NHL. David Booth was 148th in goal-scoring last season, but he only played 62 games thanks to an injury. He was 119th in goals per game, but he didn’t see much powerplay time. He was 111th among all players in goal-scoring per even strength minute. Filter out the players who don’t play much, he’s 81st.

Maybe the question should be “does Dan Rosen known was a top-six forward produces like”?

If Booth plays a full season, scores 20-plus goals and produces 50-plus points, the Canucks would be happy.

A lot of people don’t understand how few players score 50 points. Only 100 forwards do, which means that 50 points is closer to being “top-three” production rather than “top-six” production. If David Booth cracks the top 120 in the league in scoring, he’s a good top-six forward, period.

They need to see some consistency out of a player who is signed for three more seasons with a cap hit of $4.25 million.

Never forget: A 10-goal scorer is more consistent than a 30-goal scorer.

5. WILL ZACK KASSIAN DEVELOP INTO THE RUGGED WINGER THE CANUCKS NEED?

Finally, we have asked an interesting question.

Vancouver traded for Kassian hoping he would become the bruiser it was missing in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. If he turns into Milan Lucic, well let’s just say the Canucks wouldn’t complain.

Why can’t Kassian just be his own player? People want to set ridiculous goal-posts. If Nail Yakupov turns into Marian Gaborik, the Edmonton Oilers will be happy, but since he’s the best scoring winger in the league, that’s a silly thing to expect.

I think the Oilers would be happy if Yakupov became Matt Moulson. Similarly, I think the Canucks would be happy if Kassian became anybody better than Steve Bernier.
I have to say that's a low bar/expectation for Kassian but I agree Garrison is not a lock to be the next Erhoff. Put's Booth in perspective
cheers
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Paging Dr. Dude, paging Dr. Dude,

You have a call from Mr. Charron on line 2...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lotta rumours out in Abby that Aquaman is looking to buy the arena the Abbotsford Heat play in... and move the Wolves to Abby! Here's hoping. :drink: Having the Flame farm team in Flame-hating country has of course been an unmitigated disaster.
____
Try to focus on someday.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:Lotta rumours out in Abby that Aquaman is looking to buy the arena the Abbotsford Heat play in... and move the Wolves to Abby! Here's hoping. :drink: Having the Flame farm team in Flame-hating country has of course been an unmitigated disaster.
Thats right, who didn't see that coming? I remember when they announced that the
flames were moving their farm team to Abbotsford ,thinking Wow, that crop they`re growing in Abby must really be halucinagenic
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:Lotta rumours out in Abby
Shouldn't that be - "...out here in Abby"?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hey Doc! You are one savvy pirate, but I bet you had no idea that the Dude lived in Abby... :thumbs:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Scintillator wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Hey Doc! You are one savvy pirate, but I bet you had no idea that the Dude lived in Abby... :thumbs:
That is some funny shit there Scintillator, I'm busting a gut as I type...but for shits and giggles since we are shittin and giggling, I would never live in that shit-hole where Doc lives. Too bad for him. I almost feel sorry for Doc WestminsterAbbyLove
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Scintillator wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Yar that scurvy son of a sea dog WISHES!! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: I would never live in that shit-hole where Doc lives.
Seriously dude, NO WAY could you, a common labourer, afford to live in my neighborhood!

And even if you could.... well sorry, I don’t think they allow stinky you-know-wots! :wink:

Not lookin down my nose at your kind, just tellin it like it is good buddy.

Now c’mon dude gimme credit for breaking this story about Aquaman in Abby!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Seriously dude, NO WAY could you, a common labourer, afford to live in my neighborhood!
Hold that thought Doc, cause I am struggling here with the location of your privileged humble abode. Something is just not adding up here. If you can afford the life of luxury, then why the fuck would you pick that shit-hole Abbotsford to spend it in? I'd rather be a broke man in North Van than a rich one in Shit-hole, strip mall Abbotsford.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Did you move out of Abby, dude, because of the mennonites?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Seriously dude, NO WAY could you, a common labourer, afford to live in my neighborhood!
Hold that thought Doc, cause I am struggling here with the location of your privileged humble abode. Something is just not adding up here. If you can afford the life of luxury, then why the fuck would you pick that shit-hole Abbotsford to spend it in? I'd rather be a broke man in North Van than a rich one in Shit-hole, strip mall Abbotsford.
Doc has been fairly clear about his religious and political views, you dont think a fellow like him would enjoy living in that area?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: I’d rather be a broke man in North Van than a rich....
Shouldn't that be - you'd "rather be a broke YOU-KNOW-WOT in North Van..." :D

And lofl only a you-know-wot would prefer to be a you-know-wot!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote: Doc has been fairly clear about his religious and political views, you dont think a fellow like him would enjoy living in that area?
Pot gets it.

Although a part of me (the asshole part) longs to return to East Van....
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
Although a part of me (the asshole part) longs to return to East Van....
Renfrew Heights! :thumbs:
PHI Scott Hartnell signs six year extension 4.75 Cap Hit, 28.5 million total w/ NMC ‎
Shouldn't MG lock up Edler before the new CBA kicks in?
7 years $40M!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.