Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by Meds »

tantalum wrote:Cane lock up Skinner for an additional 6 years.

6 yrs x 5.725M per. He won the Calder in his first season with 63 points and took a step back to 44 points last season.

Oiler fans can start calculating the money that Hall, Eberle, Hopkins, and Yakupov will be earning soon. Given the first three have more impressive PPG numbers (and overall numbers probably at least two cases by years end), the Oilers are likely looking at $6+ mil per. Starts to eat up that available money pretty darn quick.
If Hall and RNH and Eberle pan out the way they were projected, and providing that Yakupov isn't a bust, then the Oilers are looking at paying RNH closer to $7M, Hall will be $6M, and the. Eberle and Yakupov could easily close in on $5.75M.....and they still have no defense or goaltending.

Obviously a great deal depends on the new CBA, and I don't actually think that Edmonton is going to be able to keep all of them.....at least two of them will want a change of scenery.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think all teams should be entitled to a test drive of prospective players whether they are free agents or trade targets.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I think all teams should be entitled to a test drive of prospective players whether they are free agents or trade targets.
You know Blob if you read my post which obviously you didn't you would see that I repeat I wanted to see what Garrison could show before I repeat I would give my own stamp of approval. I likened it to seeing a car before I repeat I bought it. I have not seen Garrison play and so my expectations are on hold until I repeat I have seen for myself.

I don't know how much you have seen Garrison play ( ? ) but right now most folks I believe are going on info fed to them by media and MG et al. Will he be the answer to the maiden prays I have no idea but time will tell. One thing I won't be disappointed.

Right now you're just trying to make some thing from nothing and if that turns your crank so be it, just means less posts for me to read
cheers
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Fred wrote: You know Blob if you read my post which obviously you didn't you would see that I repeat I wanted to see what Garrison could show before I repeat I would give my own stamp of approval. I likened it to seeing a car before I repeat I bought it. I have not seen Garrison play and so my expectations are on hold until I repeat I have seen for myself.
But Fred, as a GM you don't have that luxury. You rely on watching a player play for another team and imagining that he will fit well within your existing team.

As many have said about Ballard he looked like a great fit based on previous performances with Florida and in particular Phoenix. Due to a poor fit on the right side and injuries to start off his stint in Vancouver he hasn't turned into what many had expected.

It's fine if you hold off on your opinion of Garrison until you see him play but Gillis has to make the call before actually seeing how well he will fit with the Canucks.

This is where your metaphor about test driving a car doesn't hold water. Not to mention the fact that your can test drive a car but you can't put it through every situation you will encounter when it's yours and your driving it everyday.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

might as well end this thread...aint gonna be no season...
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I predict the season will start on Jan 1, 2013, with the Winter Classic. We won't lose a whole year again. But Bettman and his small market owners won't have a problem dumping the first part of the season...it'll be like 1995.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

bettman is a little prick...
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Boston Canucker wrote:I predict the season will start on Jan 1, 2013, with the Winter Classic. We won't lose a whole year again. But Bettman and his small market owners won't have a problem dumping the first part of the season...it'll be like 1995.
At risk of taking this thread off-track, I would say that Buttman's biggest backers are not necessarily the small market owners. The biggest ones are just cost-squeezing, labour-hating robber-baron types like the Jacobs family in Boston. That's a big reason why the league isn't buying the PA's idea of better revenue-sharing as a way to solve the league's alleged financial ills - the rich owners have no interest giving away their profits to the small market owners or the basket-case sunbelt teams when they can just solve it on the backs of the players.

I admit that I took the league's story during the lockout. It was easy to believe when teams in Edmonton, Ottawa and elsewhere couldn't compete with the rich teams for FAs and got their assets raped every summer and the threats of relocation. I still think a salary cap is a necessity to keep the competitive field somewhat level in the competition and retention of talent. But for the league to get the salary cap it wasted a season to get, and still claim they need to roll back salaries and lock down free agency for the sake of the league's viability, that takes serious chutzpah. Their position is unbelievable and I can imagine the chuckles coming out of the PA offices as they pore over the documents.

Linden was prophetic when he said that the owners will likely wait out the start of the season, when the most influential owners have to compete with football and baseball for spectator dollars anyway, and Fehr's bunch should just take that as a giiven assumption. I think the blinking will start in December when the owners will start really looking at the prospect of empty arenas and their fanbase looking elsewhere to spend their dollars and time. Hopefully the PA will stick to its guns even if it means shit-canning next season. How much more are they going to give before they end up in the same place they were before the PA was born?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

To me one thing that is never included in the equation is owners have to put down and guarantee funding in extremely large quantities. It's venture capital that could and would do better buying Apple stock. Teams and owners such as the Phx disaster are just around the corner and there is not a long line of idiots willing to rush for an NHL franchise. What one owner paid for a franchise may differ immensley from what another paid and now some are suggesting to compound this they throw their profits ( often long worked and invested in ) with other owners that frankly would like to get out with the clothes on their backs.

It's also note worthy that that the NHLPA are unwilling to invest any of their money into a team, they no only too well what the figures are and they too can do better investing in Apple.

In the negoiation ticket holders are always the ones that have to make up the difference and yet get no say
cheers
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

the question i have is why do a group of millionaires need a union...they have parasites(i mean agents)taking their monies already...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Fred wrote:To me one thing that is never included in the equation is owners have to put down and guarantee funding in extremely large quantities. It's venture capital that could and would do better buying Apple stock.
Would your friends be more impressed by you:

a) Owning Apple Stock
b) Owning an NHL Franchise

It's an ego trip for most, some might love the game, and a few might see it as an investment - and of course, there are those that look at it as a scam to run.

Owning a team isn't always about making a profit. Owners have a choice if they want to get into the NHL.

Of course, back in the day, it was business and the players were mere commodities. The league's come a long way from that.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Let me just say this. ALL these guys are businessmen first and fore most. If you want an example of a businessman's view of the world watch Kevin O'Leary on the Lang & O'Leary report. Money gives them a buzz. They get that buzz by making lots of it again and again. They do not like to loose money ....kinda spoils their day. The circles they move in think and act the same, they're ridiculed when they loose money. Think maybe Anita McCambridge in Slapshot. True some teams have owners that follow the sport but it's just as true many teams are no more than tax deductions for other profitable business
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Where is Gilis? And what is he doing?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Make no mistake, these owners make a fortune in all kinds of ways from owning NHL franchises

(see my post on Craig Leipold).

Franchise values rising is huge.

A guaranteed slice of the revenue pie (obviously great in its own right) helps in that regard.

TV revenue should increase in the future, which will in turn increase franchise values.

There is a lot of money to be made in the ownership of an NHL franchise going forward....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I might invest your money but I wouldn't put a plugged nickel of my money into an NHL franchise, do you remember when the Canucks were drawing 7500 a game
cheers