Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby RoyalDude » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:19 am

SKYO wrote:Why in the hell not replace Ballard for a cheaper bigger younger defensively better dman????

Additionally Ellerby plays the right side. :shock:


WTF'ever, he shoots left...bottom line. And we got a plethora of them here already.

That being said, Petrovic is the better asset, and guess what he shoots right and plays right side. Ellerby is just another big lumbering, low-skilled D-man who isn't even mean. Petrovic is a nasty piece of business, much rather have him. You are just doing the Doan angle with this one, SKYO.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4714
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby SKYO » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:27 am

RoyalDude wrote:
SKYO wrote:Why in the hell not replace Ballard for a cheaper bigger younger defensively better dman????

Additionally Ellerby plays the right side. :shock:


WTF'ever, he shoots left...bottom line. And we got a plethora of them here already.

That being said, Petrovic is the better asset, and guess what he shoots right and plays right side. Ellerby is just another big lumbering, low-skilled D-man who isn't even mean. Petrovic is a nasty piece of business, much rather have him. You are just doing the Doan angle with this one, SKYO.

lol the Doan angle I am not doing here, acquiring a younger, bigger defensively better dman, who can play NOW and in the AHL, whose got a good contract cap wise is a wise move imo.

Petro I would like to get as well, however he'd be the MAIN piece coming back if we can't get Bjugstad for which I'd much rather get.

This is all dependent on if we finally get Doan or not! I mean how long can Doan wait for Phoenix??? sheesh.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3642
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby RoyalDude » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:36 am

SKYO wrote:lol the Doan angle I am not doing here, acquiring a younger, bigger defensively better dman, who can play NOW and in the AHL, whose got a good contract cap wise is a wise move imo.

Petro I would like to get as well, however he'd be the MAIN piece coming back if we can't get Bjugstad for which I'd much rather get.

This is all dependent on if we finally get Doan or not! I mean how long can Doan wait for Phoenix??? sheesh.


I don't see much of a difference in Bjugstad/Petrovic package than a Bjugstad/Ellerby package. I would much rather have the Bjugstad/Petrovic combo. Petro is a natural fit on the right side, shooting right as well. Petrovic had 10 fights last year in the DUB, I love these quotes that describe him, "will drop gloves with anybody...punishing in the corners". Exactly what we need. Outside of the McIlrath scrap, Petrovic pretty much beat up all his opponents in the dub last year (McIlrath pretty much pummels everyone), he is a lefty with his punches as well, ya gotta love the south paw scrappers in hockey.

Shit, if we are gonna do the 'cousins' angle why don't we go after Doan's second cousin Carey Price?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4714
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby SKYO » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:40 am

RoyalDude wrote:
I don't see much of a difference in Bjugstad/Petrovic package than a Bjugstad/Ellerby package. I would much rather have the Bjugstad/Petrovic combo. Petro is a natural fit on the right side, shooting right as well. Petrovic had 10 fights last year in the DUB, I love these quotes that describe him, "will drop gloves with anybody...punishing in the corners". Exactly what we need. Outside of the McIlrath scrap, Petrovic pretty much beat up all his opponents in the dub last year (McIlrath pretty much pummels everyone), he is a lefty with his punches as well, ya gotta love the south paw scrappers in hockey.

Shit, if we are gonna do the 'cousins' angle why don't we go after Doan's second cousin Carey Price?


No cousins angle here, and no way in hell do we acquire both Bjugstad and Petrovic, their two top prospects!!! it's either one or the other.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3642
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby Lancer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:16 am

SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
I don't see much of a difference in Bjugstad/Petrovic package than a Bjugstad/Ellerby package. I would much rather have the Bjugstad/Petrovic combo. Petro is a natural fit on the right side, shooting right as well. Petrovic had 10 fights last year in the DUB, I love these quotes that describe him, "will drop gloves with anybody...punishing in the corners". Exactly what we need. Outside of the McIlrath scrap, Petrovic pretty much beat up all his opponents in the dub last year (McIlrath pretty much pummels everyone), he is a lefty with his punches as well, ya gotta love the south paw scrappers in hockey.

Shit, if we are gonna do the 'cousins' angle why don't we go after Doan's second cousin Carey Price?


No cousins angle here, and no way in hell do we acquire both Bjugstad and Petrovic, their two top prospects!!! it's either one or the other.


It could be both if the trade gets larger. Add in the likes of Schroeder and Rodin and a high pick or something else and it could get done. The Canucks have no one in their system the likes of Petrovic and Bjugstad. The D in the system are mostly offensive puck movers like Connauton or McNally and the most physical is Sauve and that's not saying much. Say what you will about Gaunce but it's hard to say he would project being the player Bjugstad projects to be. Not saying he won't, but even if he did it would be years farther down the road than Bjugstad. If Gillis can structure a deal that lands both players, it would behoove him to do so.

If it has to be one or the other though.... I would rather Gillis take Petrovic just because of how he would fit in to the age management of the D. It's a toss-up though, IMO.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby RoyalDude » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:31 am

Lancer wrote:
SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
I don't see much of a difference in Bjugstad/Petrovic package than a Bjugstad/Ellerby package. I would much rather have the Bjugstad/Petrovic combo. Petro is a natural fit on the right side, shooting right as well. Petrovic had 10 fights last year in the DUB, I love these quotes that describe him, "will drop gloves with anybody...punishing in the corners". Exactly what we need. Outside of the McIlrath scrap, Petrovic pretty much beat up all his opponents in the dub last year (McIlrath pretty much pummels everyone), he is a lefty with his punches as well, ya gotta love the south paw scrappers in hockey.

Shit, if we are gonna do the 'cousins' angle why don't we go after Doan's second cousin Carey Price?


No cousins angle here, and no way in hell do we acquire both Bjugstad and Petrovic, their two top prospects!!! it's either one or the other.


It could be both if the trade gets larger. Add in the likes of Schroeder and Rodin and a high pick or something else and it could get done. The Canucks have no one in their system the likes of Petrovic and Bjugstad. The D in the system are mostly offensive puck movers like Connauton or McNally and the most physical is Sauve and that's not saying much. Say what you will about Gaunce but it's hard to say he would project being the player Bjugstad projects to be. Not saying he won't, but even if he did it would be years farther down the road than Bjugstad. If Gillis can structure a deal that lands both players, it would behoove him to do so.

If it has to be one or the other though.... I would rather Gillis take Petrovic just because of how he would fit in to the age management of the D. It's a toss-up though, IMO.


I kind of like this...it goes well with the whole 'Bigger, Younger, Faster' mission statement put out by Mr. Gillis in which believe it or not, I am on board with. We already have good young big prospects in Kassian, Jensen and Gaunce. You add Petrovic and Bugstad to this mix at the expense of Rodin and Schroeder, I don't mind that. With what the other teams are doing around us, especially the Oilers future with the SMALL, speedy skilled forwards I think countering that with Size, speed and skill will off-set the fact that we can''t match their skill. At least make it very difficult for the small forwards of the Oilers future to play against us, especially after seeing that size was a big factor in helping the Kings win Lord Stanley. I don't see Schroeder fitting the mold that Gillis is trying build for the future here. He along with Rodin are expendable.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4714
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby the Dogsalmon » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:36 am

BING fucking GO!!!...i am all over that one RD...
User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby tantalum » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:46 am

Cane lock up Skinner for an additional 6 years.

6 yrs x 5.725M per. He won the Calder in his first season with 63 points and took a step back to 44 points last season.

Oiler fans can start calculating the money that Hall, Eberle, Hopkins, and Yakupov will be earning soon. Given the first three have more impressive PPG numbers (and overall numbers probably at least two cases by years end), the Oilers are likely looking at $6+ mil per. Starts to eat up that available money pretty darn quick.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby Aaronp18 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:01 am

tantalum wrote:Oiler fans can start calculating the money that Hall, Eberle, Hopkins, and Yakupov will be earning soon. Given the first three have more impressive PPG numbers (and overall numbers probably at least two cases by years end), the Oilers are likely looking at $6+ mil per. Starts to eat up that available money pretty darn quick.


Not to mention the fact that TSN and CBC both wet their pants at the very mention of the Oilers first overallers!!

Should be in the neighbourhood of $7M per for each of them.

Of course I guess this depends on the new CBA. If terms are limited to say 5 years as suggested the payout may even be higher as there will be no frontloading to reduce the cap hit.
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby Tciso » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:48 am

SKYO wrote:
TheInsiderNhl

I've heard that #Dallas #Detroit are the teams interested in Keith Ballard


IF we get Ellerby in the trade from Florida, Ballard can be traded for a 2nd and a AHLer dman.

Like I said numerous times now Ballard this month onwards is a commodity for teams looking for a top 4 left side two way dman.


And, given the recent inflation on defensemen's salaries, his $4mil isn't even that far out of line any more. I'd prefer a 3rd line centre for Ballard over a 2nd round pick.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1019
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby Meds » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:11 pm

So it looks like the Wings are interested in Bouwmeester....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402732

I'm not sure what I find more amusing, the desperation level of the mighty Detroit Red Wings and their incredible drafting and development system, or the fact that the Flames are thinking that Wideman is a marquis guy that can anchor their blueline.

The fact that Detroit has NOBODY even close to filling Lidstrom's vacated skates tells me that many of their late round gems have been nothing more than flukes. Lidstrom has been near retirement for the last few seasons and they haven't picked up anyone that could even be considered to replace him, and when you have a guy like him, one has to think that management really dropped the ball by not finding him a protege to mentor years ago.

If those talks fall apart do u think Ken Holland would entertain Ballard and Raymond plus a mid pick for Filppula and Abdelkader? Doubtful, but id take it.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3524
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby Meds » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:25 pm

tantalum wrote:Cane lock up Skinner for an additional 6 years.

6 yrs x 5.725M per. He won the Calder in his first season with 63 points and took a step back to 44 points last season.

Oiler fans can start calculating the money that Hall, Eberle, Hopkins, and Yakupov will be earning soon. Given the first three have more impressive PPG numbers (and overall numbers probably at least two cases by years end), the Oilers are likely looking at $6+ mil per. Starts to eat up that available money pretty darn quick.


If Hall and RNH and Eberle pan out the way they were projected, and providing that Yakupov isn't a bust, then the Oilers are looking at paying RNH closer to $7M, Hall will be $6M, and the. Eberle and Yakupov could easily close in on $5.75M.....and they still have no defense or goaltending.

Obviously a great deal depends on the new CBA, and I don't actually think that Edmonton is going to be able to keep all of them.....at least two of them will want a change of scenery.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3524
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:59 pm

I think all teams should be entitled to a test drive of prospective players whether they are free agents or trade targets.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3166
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby Fred » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:40 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I think all teams should be entitled to a test drive of prospective players whether they are free agents or trade targets.


You know Blob if you read my post which obviously you didn't you would see that I repeat I wanted to see what Garrison could show before I repeat I would give my own stamp of approval. I likened it to seeing a car before I repeat I bought it. I have not seen Garrison play and so my expectations are on hold until I repeat I have seen for myself.

I don't know how much you have seen Garrison play ( ? ) but right now most folks I believe are going on info fed to them by media and MG et al. Will he be the answer to the maiden prays I have no idea but time will tell. One thing I won't be disappointed.

Right now you're just trying to make some thing from nothing and if that turns your crank so be it, just means less posts for me to read
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Postby Aaronp18 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Fred wrote:You know Blob if you read my post which obviously you didn't you would see that I repeat I wanted to see what Garrison could show before I repeat I would give my own stamp of approval. I likened it to seeing a car before I repeat I bought it. I have not seen Garrison play and so my expectations are on hold until I repeat I have seen for myself.


But Fred, as a GM you don't have that luxury. You rely on watching a player play for another team and imagining that he will fit well within your existing team.

As many have said about Ballard he looked like a great fit based on previous performances with Florida and in particular Phoenix. Due to a poor fit on the right side and injuries to start off his stint in Vancouver he hasn't turned into what many had expected.

It's fine if you hold off on your opinion of Garrison until you see him play but Gillis has to make the call before actually seeing how well he will fit with the Canucks.

This is where your metaphor about test driving a car doesn't hold water. Not to mention the fact that your can test drive a car but you can't put it through every situation you will encounter when it's yours and your driving it everyday.
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], rats19 and 2 guests