Kesler's Injury

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

benivolent
CC Rookie

Kesler's Injury

Post by benivolent »

Hey all,

Just saw something posted up on CDC re: Kesler's shoulder/arm. Apparently he posted a picture of himself via Twitter which shows that his shoulder is in a sling, but he also has a cast on his forearm. The fanny pack has a portable iv pump for pain Mëds.

I wonder if his pre-op imaging showed something in his lower arm that needed to be fixed. Hence the cast.

From what I know: The sling is pretty common post op for initial shoulder joint immobilization. The Fanny pack with pain pump - also common.
The forearm cast is not common (for a shoulder surgery which was likely arthroscopic). The cast itself doesn't look like a long arm cast - not needing to immobilize elbow for fracture or humerus fracture. Likely a short cast (forearm only) which means Distal forearm fractures,
Wrist sprains and carpal injuries, or Some metacarpal fractures.

Here's the LINK to RK's Twitter. apologies if this is old news.

Maybe another reason his wrister disappeared?
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Kesler's Injury

Post by CFP! »

When casting or splinting you always go above and below the nearest joint. So your probably right in the assumption of a broken wrist/radius. It's a super common injury (like falling off a ladder :evil: )

His shoulder/rehab injury will take long to heal than anything to do with broken bones in his wrist.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

But it does explain the wrist shot casper ghosting last year..
Casperitis.... 8-)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Despite the injury, it is better than last off seasons photos.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

You guys are right on the wrist injury, he had minor surgery on his left wrist as well.

http://bit.ly/OJLUiw
“It’s not happening,” Overhardt said Thursday. “He’s not ahead of schedule and there’s no rushing him back. He’s on course to return in December and he’s not returning until he’s 100 per cent. Don’t expect him until December.

That’s not the only issue with Kesler. He also had minor surgery on his left wrist June 27. Two days later on his Twitter account, a group picture showed Kesler in a sling and his wrist in a cast with a caption that read: ‘Great times in Michigan.’

“He had been experiencing some mild discomfort and had some tendon issues that needed to be cleaned up,” confirmed Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman.

It explains a lot. Occasional hip-flexor stiffness from a previous procedure, a wonky shoulder and a bothersome wrist greatly affected Kesler’s shot and battle level last season in dropping from a career-high 41 goals to 22 and no goals in five playoff games. After amassing 17 points in a 15-game span in December, scoring in five-consecutive games from Jan. 31 to Feb. 9, he then went eight without a goal. He suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder on Feb. 9 but played through it.

The Kesler recovery adds fuel to the fire that the Canucks may consider unrestricted free agent centre Jason Arnott as a third-line centre, who could also fill in on the second line. While the Canucks are high on Jordan Schroeder and could use Maxim Lapierre in that capacity, they also need a veteran presence and size to push for a return to postseason prominence.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Good to hear Overhardt come out with some "Whoa whoa hostie tabernac..." on the Kesler recovery situation. Hopefully he's sending Kes the same message. I wouldn't mind if he didn't come back until January if it meant his body was fully healed. The team is strong enough to make the playoffs without him so what's the rush?

Here's hoping Bettmann keeps playing hardball... :twisted:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I think it's time for Gillis to reevaluate the Canucks' medical staff or whomever is advising him on players' injuries and recovery times.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

FAN wrote:I think it's time for Gillis to reevaluate the Canucks' medical staff or whomever is advising him on players' injuries and recovery times.

why???

the article said:
It may have given the impression
... sounds like kuzma is just lazy and speculating.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
FAN wrote:I think it's time for Gillis to reevaluate the Canucks' medical staff or whomever is advising him on players' injuries and recovery times.

why???

the article said:
It may have given the impression
... sounds like kuzma is just lazy and speculating.
You must have not heard Gillis' interview.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

FAN wrote: You must have not heard Gillis' interview.
Why don't you enlighten everyone.

I guess I missed it as well.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Aaronp18 wrote: Why don't you enlighten everyone.

I guess I missed it as well.
No need to enlighten. Fred posted the link in the Who is Gillis thread. http://www.teamradio.ca/news/canucks-gm ... eam1040-2/

My point isn't anything original. Questions have been raised about the Canucks' medical staff of late. There's the Hodgson debacle, Malhotra coming back early (IMO), Kesler coming back early, Samuelsson saying his leg wasn't working at the start of the season (he didn't play a game for the Panthers until months later), and now Gillis has come out and said that Kesler might even be ahead of schedule and that he/they are "hopeful" that Kesler could be ready for the start of the season.

All along we've heard that Kesler will miss the start of the season. Suddenly Gillis goes on Team 1040 and says that there's a possibility that Kesler could be ready for Game 1. Kesler's agent then speaks up and says that that's an impossibility and to expect Kesler to come back in December (the original expected month). I don't think Gillis is the type to speak out of his ass so I'm assuming that he made his statement about Kesler's recovery based on something he heard from the Canucks medical staff. Of course I could be wrong in my assumption and Gillis might just be spewing crap or heard something from someone or people other than the Canucks medical staff.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Or MG doesn't want other gm's to know the real situation on Kesler which may affect trade offers.
The only HW the Canucks need
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I think both perspectives have merit, GM's do not like other teams to delve into their players inujuries or private life. It diminishes the players value.

But we've long held in Vcr that we have the best medical staff and who knows there's are a lot of good staff. Every team thinks that of their staff ( except maybe the Flyers ) but facts do point in the direction who ever is at the top of the chain is not providing great cold cut facts down the line, maybe rose coloured glass version ( a lot of that going a round :lol: ) There again maybe MG expects the season to start in December and technically Kesler will start the first game
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote: Every team thinks that of their staff ( except maybe the Flyers ) but facts do point in the direction who ever is at the top of the chain is not providing great cold cut facts down the line, maybe rose coloured glass version ( a lot of that going a round :lol: )
Yes , yes lots of rose colored glasses and peaches and cream here.... :roll:

Could be worse..... a bunch of chicken littles who think the sky is constantly falling or the Oliver Stone types who think there's a conspiracy around every corner.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Hockey Widow wrote:Or MG doesn't want other gm's to know the real situation on Kesler which may affect trade offers.

This is exactly what I thought he was doing. He is a cagey guy our GMMG. He gives Cody protected minutes in good situations to up his worth. He is sitting pretty with Luo awaiting what I expect to be a good trade for us. Part of his poker face is to make it appear that we don't need anything but we will make the trade if we get everything we want. He isn't a part of the Old Boys Network so he has to do what he does best. No doubt strategy he developed while working as a player agent.