Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by SKYO »

FAN wrote:
SKYO wrote: Do the Aquilini bro's have to pay that or McCaw? I'm assuming AquaBros.
Ya. It's going to be the Canucks organization, which = AquaBros.
Thanks for clarification.

And there goes a little less than half of the 2011 Cup final revenue, happy I'm not one of the Aquabros right now as shit hit the fan in private Aquilini business right now, luckily season tickets are always sold out for years. :mad:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

TheInsiderNhl

I've heard that #Dallas #Detroit are the teams interested in Keith Ballard
IF we get Ellerby in the trade from Florida, Ballard can be traded for a 2nd and a AHLer dman.

Like I said numerous times now Ballard this month onwards is a commodity for teams looking for a top 4 left side two way dman.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
TheInsiderNhl

IF we get Ellerby in the trade from Florida, Ballard can be traded for a 2nd and a AHLer dman.

Like I said numerous times now Ballard this month onwards is a commodity for teams looking for a top 4 left side two way dman.
Why are you assuming 'if we get Ellerby'? There have only been two names speculated by the media in these so-called Florida Panthers rumors and those are Bjugstad and Theodore. Plus, why the hell would we want another left shot/left sided defenseman? We essentially would be replacing Ballard with a defenseman who naturally plays the same side as him???
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:
SKYO wrote:
TheInsiderNhl

Why are you assuming 'if we get Ellerby'? There have only been two names speculated by the media in these so-called Florida Panthers rumors and those are Bjugstad and Theodore. Plus, why the hell would we want another left shot/left sided defenseman? We essentially would be replacing Ballard with a defenseman who naturally plays the same side as him???
Why in the hell not replace Ballard for a cheaper bigger younger defensively better dman????

Additionally Ellerby plays the right side. :shock:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Why in the hell not replace Ballard for a cheaper bigger younger defensively better dman????

WTF'ever, he shoots left...bottom line. And we got a plethora of them here already.

That being said, Petrovic is the better asset, and guess what he shoots right and plays right side. Ellerby is just another big lumbering, low-skilled D-man who isn't even mean. Petrovic is a nasty piece of business, much rather have him. You are just doing the Doan angle with this one, SKYO.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:
SKYO wrote: Why in the hell not replace Ballard for a cheaper bigger younger defensively better dman????

WTF'ever, he shoots left...bottom line. And we got a plethora of them here already.

That being said, Petrovic is the better asset, and guess what he shoots right and plays right side. Ellerby is just another big lumbering, low-skilled D-man who isn't even mean. Petrovic is a nasty piece of business, much rather have him. You are just doing the Doan angle with this one, SKYO.
lol the Doan angle I am not doing here, acquiring a younger, bigger defensively better dman, who can play NOW and in the AHL, whose got a good contract cap wise is a wise move imo.

Petro I would like to get as well, however he'd be the MAIN piece coming back if we can't get Bjugstad for which I'd much rather get.

This is all dependent on if we finally get Doan or not! I mean how long can Doan wait for Phoenix??? sheesh.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: lol the Doan angle I am not doing here, acquiring a younger, bigger defensively better dman, who can play NOW and in the AHL, whose got a good contract cap wise is a wise move imo.

Petro I would like to get as well, however he'd be the MAIN piece coming back if we can't get Bjugstad for which I'd much rather get.

This is all dependent on if we finally get Doan or not! I mean how long can Doan wait for Phoenix??? sheesh.
I don't see much of a difference in Bjugstad/Petrovic package than a Bjugstad/Ellerby package. I would much rather have the Bjugstad/Petrovic combo. Petro is a natural fit on the right side, shooting right as well. Petrovic had 10 fights last year in the DUB, I love these quotes that describe him, "will drop gloves with anybody...punishing in the corners". Exactly what we need. Outside of the McIlrath scrap, Petrovic pretty much beat up all his opponents in the dub last year (McIlrath pretty much pummels everyone), he is a lefty with his punches as well, ya gotta love the south paw scrappers in hockey.

Shit, if we are gonna do the 'cousins' angle why don't we go after Doan's second cousin Carey Price?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:
I don't see much of a difference in Bjugstad/Petrovic package than a Bjugstad/Ellerby package. I would much rather have the Bjugstad/Petrovic combo. Petro is a natural fit on the right side, shooting right as well. Petrovic had 10 fights last year in the DUB, I love these quotes that describe him, "will drop gloves with anybody...punishing in the corners". Exactly what we need. Outside of the McIlrath scrap, Petrovic pretty much beat up all his opponents in the dub last year (McIlrath pretty much pummels everyone), he is a lefty with his punches as well, ya gotta love the south paw scrappers in hockey.

Shit, if we are gonna do the 'cousins' angle why don't we go after Doan's second cousin Carey Price?
No cousins angle here, and no way in hell do we acquire both Bjugstad and Petrovic, their two top prospects!!! it's either one or the other.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

No cousins angle here, and no way in hell do we acquire both Bjugstad and Petrovic, their two top prospects!!! it's either one or the other.
It could be both if the trade gets larger. Add in the likes of Schroeder and Rodin and a high pick or something else and it could get done. The Canucks have no one in their system the likes of Petrovic and Bjugstad. The D in the system are mostly offensive puck movers like Connauton or McNally and the most physical is Sauve and that's not saying much. Say what you will about Gaunce but it's hard to say he would project being the player Bjugstad projects to be. Not saying he won't, but even if he did it would be years farther down the road than Bjugstad. If Gillis can structure a deal that lands both players, it would behoove him to do so.

If it has to be one or the other though.... I would rather Gillis take Petrovic just because of how he would fit in to the age management of the D. It's a toss-up though, IMO.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lancer wrote:
SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

It could be both if the trade gets larger. Add in the likes of Schroeder and Rodin and a high pick or something else and it could get done. The Canucks have no one in their system the likes of Petrovic and Bjugstad. The D in the system are mostly offensive puck movers like Connauton or McNally and the most physical is Sauve and that's not saying much. Say what you will about Gaunce but it's hard to say he would project being the player Bjugstad projects to be. Not saying he won't, but even if he did it would be years farther down the road than Bjugstad. If Gillis can structure a deal that lands both players, it would behoove him to do so.

If it has to be one or the other though.... I would rather Gillis take Petrovic just because of how he would fit in to the age management of the D. It's a toss-up though, IMO.
I kind of like this...it goes well with the whole 'Bigger, Younger, Faster' mission statement put out by Mr. Gillis in which believe it or not, I am on board with. We already have good young big prospects in Kassian, Jensen and Gaunce. You add Petrovic and Bugstad to this mix at the expense of Rodin and Schroeder, I don't mind that. With what the other teams are doing around us, especially the Oilers future with the SMALL, speedy skilled forwards I think countering that with Size, speed and skill will off-set the fact that we can''t match their skill. At least make it very difficult for the small forwards of the Oilers future to play against us, especially after seeing that size was a big factor in helping the Kings win Lord Stanley. I don't see Schroeder fitting the mold that Gillis is trying build for the future here. He along with Rodin are expendable.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

BING fucking GO!!!...i am all over that one RD...
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Cane lock up Skinner for an additional 6 years.

6 yrs x 5.725M per. He won the Calder in his first season with 63 points and took a step back to 44 points last season.

Oiler fans can start calculating the money that Hall, Eberle, Hopkins, and Yakupov will be earning soon. Given the first three have more impressive PPG numbers (and overall numbers probably at least two cases by years end), the Oilers are likely looking at $6+ mil per. Starts to eat up that available money pretty darn quick.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

tantalum wrote: Oiler fans can start calculating the money that Hall, Eberle, Hopkins, and Yakupov will be earning soon. Given the first three have more impressive PPG numbers (and overall numbers probably at least two cases by years end), the Oilers are likely looking at $6+ mil per. Starts to eat up that available money pretty darn quick.
Not to mention the fact that TSN and CBC both wet their pants at the very mention of the Oilers first overallers!!

Should be in the neighbourhood of $7M per for each of them.

Of course I guess this depends on the new CBA. If terms are limited to say 5 years as suggested the payout may even be higher as there will be no frontloading to reduce the cap hit.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote:
TheInsiderNhl

And, given the recent inflation on defensemen's salaries, his $4mil isn't even that far out of line any more. I'd prefer a 3rd line centre for Ballard over a 2nd round pick.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

So it looks like the Wings are interested in Bouwmeester....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402732

I'm not sure what I find more amusing, the desperation level of the mighty Detroit Red Wings and their incredible drafting and development system, or the fact that the Flames are thinking that Wideman is a marquis guy that can anchor their blueline.

The fact that Detroit has NOBODY even close to filling Lidstrom's vacated skates tells me that many of their late round gems have been nothing more than flukes. Lidstrom has been near retirement for the last few seasons and they haven't picked up anyone that could even be considered to replace him, and when you have a guy like him, one has to think that management really dropped the ball by not finding him a protege to mentor years ago.

If those talks fall apart do u think Ken Holland would entertain Ballard and Raymond plus a mid pick for Filppula and Abdelkader? Doubtful, but id take it.