Home Construction Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Home Construction Discussion

Post by Meds »

Vpete wrote:Mëds that some serious work. Since you seem to be planning to move are you going all out on renos or simply, fixing to sell?
About 2/3 is because of nightmarish plumbing that broke in several places at mostly different times. So we figured better to get it done now and done right rather than hand the problem to someone else. We also were going to have a helluva time finding insurance after two 5 figure insurance claims in under 18 months.

The sell and move idea only entered the equation about 4 months ago when we decided that the next step for me was to go back to school for 17 months.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The single biggest problem in the residential detached home construction industry. There is a general feeling out there that "you get what you paid for" when it comes to the lowest bids, joe blow six pack construction worker sure like to talk about this, but my biggest beef in the industry now is 'ya sure ain't getting what you paid for'. Here is the problem that I am seeing a lot lately in the industry, so-called reputable expensive trade companies, no matter the trade, who charge an arm and a leg for their services are not delivering the quality product the homeowner is paying through the roof far and here is why. With these so-called companies their is One Guy, the boss, the one with the talent, the one guy you want putting shit together on the job but the problem is, he is leaving the work in the hands of his employees who do not give a shit and aren't as talented and passionate about the job, cause the guy that built the company you hired is too busy running around dealing with all his ther jobs across the city and not actually doing the work himself but he is charging you like he is doing the work himself cause it's his fucking company so it must be good right? But all he is doing is leaving the actual install work in the hands of his hired 'who the fuck cares' employees whom he charges out at an arm and a leg cause it's 'his fucking company' and he is good. The funny part is, it's usually these guys who complain about the so-called certain races that are taking over the trades industry in Vancouver cause they come at a cheaper price but I tell you what, the quality work in these so-called low ball bidders from other countries are actually just as good in quality if not better cause so-called whitey tradesman with the fancy trucks and logo's has his riff raff, I don't give a shit crew doing the install instead of himself whom you think you are actually paying for to do the work.

I can't tell you enough how often ya get shitty work from companies cause they are just too busy to do the work themselves so they get their lacky employees to do the job in which the final product does not meet the price that is charged. So in short, be real careful who you hire out there folks. Don't be sucked in by the fancy logos and nice trucks and clean cut salesman, estimator with the iPAD, 9 times out of 10, your best work will be from that old, grumpy, raggedy tradesman who is not so people friendly who does the work by himself in his dumpy ol' truck and real old tools that are falling apart. Trust me, it's the fact. Or better yet, hire that cheap middle easterner that everyone loves to whine about you will get just as good as a quality product if not better than the guy with the fancy truck, website and logo's.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

So RD, are you the middle eastern guy in the beat up old truck? I don't see you as the white guy with the I-pad :lol:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BCExpat wrote:So RD, are you the middle eastern guy in the beat up old truck? I don't see you as the white guy with the I-pad :lol:
Ha...no not that guy. Just a builder who is tired of paying through the nose for shit work. Might as well start using the brown guys, same quality in the end, just a whole lot cheaper is all. I tell you what though, the brown guys work day is a twice as long as whitey. Whitey shows up 8:00 finishes coffee, starts to set up tools at 8:30, just when he is getting in a work groove he calls for a 10:00 coffee break at 9:45 drives 15 miles to Tim Hortons, comes back 25 minutes later, sits down enjoys that shit coffee, reads those free newspapers, ie 24, goes back to work at 10:45, then calls break somewhere between 12:00 and 12:30, this break is usually an hour, back at it at 1:00, work till 2:30 calls for a quick 15 minute break talks shite for a half an hour goes back to work only to start packing up tools at about 3:30, drives away from the job site at 3:59. 8 hours in on the their time card. All the while, brown guy up on the roof or installing insulation or drywall, after starting at 7:00 am has just takin his first break at 4:00 sips tea for a 15 minutes then goes back to work to about 5:30 - 6:00.

This my friend, is the fact.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

RoyalDude wrote: day is a twice as long as whitey. Whitey shows up 8:00

At this point I find it easier to keep track of who RD doesn't hate than who he does. The hate list is so much longer...
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
BCExpat wrote:So RD, are you the middle eastern guy in the beat up old truck? I don't see you as the white guy with the I-pad :lol:
Ha...no not that guy. Just a builder who is tired of paying through the nose for shit work. Might as well start using the brown guys, same quality in the end, just a whole lot cheaper is all. I tell you what though, the brown guys work day is a twice as long as whitey. Whitey shows up 8:00 finishes coffee, starts to set up tools at 8:30, just when he is getting in a work groove he calls for a 10:00 coffee break at 9:45 drives 15 miles to Tim Hortons, comes back 25 minutes later, sits down enjoys that shit coffee, reads those free newspapers, ie 24, goes back to work at 10:45, then calls break somewhere between 12:00 and 12:30, this break is usually an hour, back at it at 1:00, work till 2:30 calls for a quick 15 minute break talks shite for a half an hour goes back to work only to start packing up tools at about 3:30, drives away from the job site at 3:59. 8 hours in on the their time card. All the while, brown guy up on the roof or installing insulation or drywall, after starting at 7:00 am has just takin his first break at 4:00 sips tea for a 15 minutes then goes back to work to about 5:30 - 6:00.

Yup, that's because the brown guys are normally subs or on some type of piece rate system and treat their job like it's like their own little business.

As for the quality, if you train them to do it right, and constantly push quality and customer service, they will do very bit as well at whitey.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

*bites tongue*
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote: Yup, that's because the brown guys are normally subs or on some type of piece rate system and treat their job like it's like their own little business.

As for the quality, if you train them to do it right, and constantly push quality and customer service, they will do very bit as well at whitey.
Hey Potski did ya catch this post:

viewtopic.php?p=137724#p137724

:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BCExpat wrote: So RD, are you the middle eastern guy
Close!

Couldn't resist....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

When in Rome.....
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

RoyalDude wrote:
Ha...no not that guy. Just a builder who is tired of paying through the nose for shit work. .
Take no creed in my opinion - but as a builder shouldn't you have your own trusted trades workers? Or is this more of a new gig for you?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

It is a teething pain of many a good small business and one that kills some.

They build a good reputation and clientele based upon their solid work. Business improves and they take on more than they can chew. Hire new folks and can not adequately supervise them. Quality suffers, reputation falls off the map.

Owner may be a great tradesman, but lacks business sence
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:It is a teething pain of many a good small business and one that kills some.

They build a good reputation and clientele based upon their solid work. Business improves and they take on more than they can chew. Hire new folks and can not adequately supervise them. Quality suffers, reputation falls off the map.

This

Basically what I was trying to say in not so many words.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Topper wrote:It is a teething pain of many a good small business and one that kills some.

In my industry we're seeing a tend in small and medium sized businesses where owners are hiring business consultants to 'run' direct the business affairs while the owners/ founders focus on the core strengths of the business. It allows them to do what they do best without having to run a company.

Not all people can evolve into good CEOs no matter what size the business.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:When in Rome.....
+ 1 billion Image
____
Try to focus on someday.