Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Shane Doan

Post by dbr »

I'd happily overpay for Shane Doan.

But he has to choose whether he wants it in the form of money or term. I'd give him $6-7m per on a two year deal, but a four year contract? No thanks. Not without knowing what happens in the next CBA anyways.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I guess that's the million dollar question here, money aside, can Doan still play? I would luv to see the Canucks get him and I think he'll still be a good player for 2 years, but pushing 3-4 years, I'd hesitate to add him.

Strangelove wrote:
vic wrote: For everyone else who goes on a rant about the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamuis ..etc taking home-town discounts to play here so the team can be more competitive, well this is the reason they took their discounts - when the team needs to spend money to get a player that can potentially put them over the top they have the money to do so.
Someone gets it.

There comes a time to bring in an overpaid player (fuckin misers around here).

Moneypuck only takes you so far....
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Doan is the only power forward on the market. Why oh why do so many of you worry about Aquaman's money? He knows what he is doing. Don't worry about the salary structure of the team that's Gillis' job. Go get him and then hope Burrows can ignite line 2.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Canuck-One wrote:Doan is the only power forward on the market. Why oh why do so many of you worry about Aquaman's money? He knows what he is doing. Don't worry about the salary structure of the team that's Gillis' job. Go get him and then hope Burrows can ignite line 2.
If there was no salary cap I wouldn't care, and I don't care as it concerns his wallet, not at all. But in the salary cap era the salary and term has to be part of the conversation due its ripple effects. Yes, it is Gillis' job, but so is everything else and we all are not the least bit hesistent to comment on that. I'd say Doan at a max of a 3yrs @ 6 mill. is what the Canucks should stick to, and I have a difficult time seeing Gillis pay Doan more than the Sedins.
Gino's Knuckle
CC Rookie

Post by Gino's Knuckle »

Boston Canucker wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:Doan is the only power forward on the market. Why oh why do so many of you worry about Aquaman's money? He knows what he is doing. Don't worry about the salary structure of the team that's Gillis' job. Go get him and then hope Burrows can ignite line 2.
If there was no salary cap I wouldn't care, and I don't care as it concerns his wallet, not at all. But in the salary cap era the salary and term has to be part of the conversation due its ripple effects. Yes, it is Gillis' job, but so is everything else and we all are not the least bit hesistent to comment on that. I'd say Doan at a max of a 3yrs @ 6 mill. is what the Canucks should stick to, and I have a difficult time seeing Gillis pay Doan more than the Sedins.
Agreed, BC, it isn't the money that he will be paid in the sense of dollars out-of-pocket that is the concern, it is the portion of cap that will be affected by said dollars. Depending on how the new CBA affects the cap, there is a risk that a large Doan contract over several years could be preventative in resigning players like Edler, Burrows and even the Sedins (after 13-14) as well as signing other UFAs. At the price and length we are hearing now (assuming there is fire behind the smoke) I don't see the risk/reward ratio being worthwhile.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I understand those concerns but I still say go get him. If he is the piece that finishes the puzzle then why not. There are others younger stronger and better scorers but none of them are available for just money, so....
Gino's Knuckle
CC Rookie

Post by Gino's Knuckle »

Canuck-One wrote: If he is the piece that finishes the puzzle then why not.
I agree, I just question whether he is "the piece that finishes the puzzle". If he isn't, then we end up with an albatross of a contract for a four year term. If he could put us over the top and bring us a cup, I would do that at pretty much any price to the future. Given that is not at all a certainty, I am hesitant to do something that may sacrifice the future.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Canuck-One wrote:Doan is the only power forward on the market. Why oh why do so many of you worry about Aquaman's money? He knows what he is doing.
One would assume Aquaman knows what he's doing. He reportedly risked a big portion of his fortune having fun when he's away from his wife. :lol:
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

True, but in the salary cap era, I wants the canucks to put the best team out there. I want players that I would like, would cheer for and guys who I think we can win with. When we end up with too many guys like Booth and Baltard, high priced players who don't do much (basically free loaders), I really start to hate those guys.

CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:True, but in the salary cap era, I wants the canucks to put the best team out there. I want players that I would like, would cheer for and guys who I think we can win with. When we end up with too many guys like Booth and Baltard, high priced players who don't do much (basically free loaders), I really start to hate those guys.
So you prefer overpaid professional athletes to ludicrously overpaid professional athletes.

All a matter of perspective, I suppose.

:wink:
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

vic wrote:
Fred wrote:I understand we are all, blessed/cursed with the WASP mentality but is the money coming from your pockets ? and do we have the Cap space to cover the cost of Doan ? and I think the answer is respectively NO & YES
+1
There is no cap space for Doan at that price. The Canucks would have to trade Luongo and take back no salary, and have Eddie Lack as the backup.

That is the problem with Doan at that price - there is no cap space so you weaken the team in other areas to get him under the cap. Then there's the problem with that term, when no one knows what will happen to the Cap under the new CBA.

If he wants to play here, he has to play for a reasonable price. I suspect he doesn't want to play here, hence the unreal demands that no contending team will pay (other than maybe the Rangers).
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Fred wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Fred wrote:I have to believe Doan is exactly what the Canucks need and we can waffle on about the future, salaries ,how old he is, injuries or what ever , the Hell with it lets throw caution to the wind and just go for it. Apparently his daughter has had recent serious injuries which has delayed the process
At a good salary not the stupidity being offered/suggested here and they are reportedly asking for.

I understand we are all, blessed/cursed with the WASP mentality but is the money coming from your pockets ? and do we have the Cap space to cover the cost of Doan ? and I think the answer is respectively NO & YES
Fred you don't see past your nose. Doan wants multi years, you don't look at this deal for one year only.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

ESQ wrote:There is no cap space for Doan at that price. The Canucks would have to trade Luongo and take back no salary, and have Eddie Lack as the backup.

That is the problem with Doan at that price - there is no cap space so you weaken the team in other areas to get him under the cap. Then there's the problem with that term, when no one knows what will happen to the Cap under the new CBA.

If he wants to play here, he has to play for a reasonable price. I suspect he doesn't want to play here, hence the unreal demands that no contending team will pay (other than maybe the Rangers).
Not only that, Doan would kill too much cap space next year, when we have to re-sign a few players, like Tanev and Edler, Hansen, etc. I'd take Doan for our remaining cap space this year, but we need the space next year to keep some of those core players.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Not only that, Doan would kill too much cap space next year, when we have to re-sign a few players, like Tanev and Edler, Hansen, etc. I'd take Doan for our remaining cap space this year, but we need the space next year to keep some of those core players.
Again, I don't think he's coming to your Vancouver Canucks and if he did it's prolly gotta be for $5.5 to $6mil per.

Next year the cap would increase, salaries of Manny/Raymond/Ballard likely come off the books = lotsa room.

Not that it matters but Hansen's contract isn't up until 2014....
____
Try to focus on someday.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Tciso wrote: Not only that, Doan would kill too much cap space next year, when we have to re-sign a few players, like Tanev and Edler, Hansen, etc. I'd take Doan for our remaining cap space this year, but we need the space next year to keep some of those core players.
Keep playing for "next year" and you'll never win a championship. Deal with next year when it comes...this year we have a huge hole on offense, particularly in our top 6. Our offense for two playoffs in a row has proven it isn't good enough to get the job done. I'm not guaranteeing that Doan will solve that, but he's definitely an attempt to address the problem and I personally think he will help a lot.