Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Shane Doan

Post by coco_canuck »

FAN wrote: I was at Central when you first joined and you came in with the nice guy routine. I guess you've decided that you're now an established poster and can be a bully. Ah well. Some people are like that.
Wasn't aware I had to pander to your soft sensibilities.

Not so nice try with the analysis.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Bottom line is that when u compare Doan to other guys his age, and comparable skill, he should be looking at $4mil for a season, or maybe $7.5 for 2 seasons.

He and his agent are trying to milk the NHL (more power to them), but I can't see any team thinking that $30mil over 4 is a serious starting point on negotiations. $15 over 3 would have been at least reasonable, and not laughable.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Tciso wrote: $15 over 3 would have been at least reasonable, and not laughable.
It's certainly reasonable, but it depends on other offers from teams high on his list. It's difficult to wade through the rumours to know what's true, but it looks like Doan wants a 4 year deal, and teams high on the list seem to be willing to go that far.

He won't get $30M, unless some team in the East loses its mind, which some teams have been prone to do, but I think number will end up being in the $23-25M range over 4 years.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

FAN wrote: Articles I've read suggested that Doan is interested in term and money.
And that, in a nutshell, is why we don't need Shane Doan.
We need someone who is here to WIN and is willing to take a haircut to keep the team under the cap, and not some 35 year old vet who is just looking to cash in.

$7.5 mil per year over 4 years is just absurd overpayment for a 50 point winger.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mondi wrote:Doan--------------------Raymond

Human-------------------Human
Male----------------------Male
NHL Player--------------NHL Player
Western Conference---Western Conference
Forward-----------------Forward
Right Wing--------------Left Wing
Albertan-----------------Albertan

Okay so that's 7 out of 8

First 330 career games

Doan (Goals): 48
Raymond (Goals): 70
Doan (Assists): 65
Raymond (Assists): 86

Yeah Strangelove...epitome of absurdity.

Comparing Doan to Rory Fitzpatrick is a stretch...and the epitome of absurdity might be comparing Shane Doan to say...Hope Solo.

Just say no to Shane Doan.
LMAO at the Rory Fitzpatrick comment. :lol:

As for your 330 game breakdown, that is unreal! Apart from their obvious differences in style and size they are quite comparable.....and Doan comes out wanting.

That being said I think that the physical edge that Doan brings makes him a more desirable player than Raymond.....but only if his salary and cap hit are under (or at) $4M.

Just for RD's sake I might just make a similar comparison of Doan to Booth. :roll:
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Thanks for the lecture, hows the view way up on that horse?
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

rats19 wrote:Actually a lot of people care....just not those that were not a part of It..like yourself , history is part of life..at the end.....that's all there is
And it is usually bullshit.

Do not give Doan the money. He is out of his freaking mind. He sold his load this last run for the Cup and gave it his all. Nice job by him but we will not see the same next year. Too many bangs on the bod and he should not be our highest paid player.

The craziness must be due to the upcoming agreement between players and owners. Weber took full advantage of it and although I do not judge him for it I find myself wanting to. No person who does not solve the ills of the world should be worth half what he got. Makes me sick to see this great game copy basketball. Now we have a bunch of entitled pukes thinking they really are worth it.

How about the Wild? If that was not planned before hand I will eat my skates. Clearly it was the goal from jump. DIrty bastards are ruining it all.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: So is this the guy you are asking us about to the tune of $6M Doc?

I get that you aren't actually suggesting this as a good idea.....
Actually I was the guy suggesting giving him ONE year @ $10mil. 8-)

One must overpay for UFAs as Supply & Demand dictates, mustn't one?

And one must grasp for the Cup when one is within reach.... mustn't one?

Never would've taken you for one of those who can't seem to grasp all that a player like Doan brings to the table Mëds.

Last edited by Strangelove on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: Doan--------------------Raymond

Human-------------------Human
Male----------------------Male
NHL Player--------------NHL Player
Western Conference---Western Conference
Forward-----------------Forward
Right Wing--------------Left Wing
Albertan-----------------Albertan

Okay so that's 7 out of 8
You really ARE quite mad aren't you? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote:
ALL of them??

Please tell me you meant all EXCEPT FOR the comparison to Raymond! :D

I don't think GMMG would give Doan more that Sedins.

How would you feel about Doan at $6mil-per over 4 years?

Just curious....
Well, I didn't see any comparison to Raymond in what I quoted. However, I can see the argumentative value in that comparison, which I don't think he's suggested as saying they bring the same thing to the table. However, from a purely-offensive production standpoint, there is a pretty clear point of comparison.

That is excluding physical play, assholiness, grit, leadership, and other things that you'd pay Doan for.

When this started, I thought $6 million for one year was a large enough over-payment to secure him. Then I thought $6 million for 2 years was required, just because of market pressure. Doan has played this offseason like a true master though, and he will get his money if he leaves Phoenix.

I will say this though - if someone had given, say, Ray Whitney or Teemu Selanne that 4-year contract when they were 35, they'd be feeling pretty damn clever. Whitney got his biggest annual salary this year at $4.5 million, and I'm sure Phoenix could have had him at $3 million or under if they'd given him a 4-year deal instead of 2-year.

Will Doan be like Whitney or Selanne? I doubt it, as they're both better players in my opinion. But sometimes a gamble like that pays off.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

You'd think being a family man, that he'd take an offer soon, so he can relocate his fam' sooner rather than later?
or will his wife be left behind in the Arizona.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Well, I didn't see any comparison to Raymond in what I quoted. However, I can see the argumentative value in that comparison, which I don't think he's suggested as saying they bring the same thing to the table. However, from a purely-offensive production standpoint, there is a pretty clear point of comparison.

That is excluding physical play, assholiness, grit, leadership, and other things that you'd pay Doan for.
EXACTLY, there aren't many players available who bring all that to the table

... and are top-six worthy.

Exactly the kind of guy a team that has trouble scoring in the playoffs needs! :thumbs:
ESQ wrote: Will Doan be like Whitney or Selanne? I doubt it, as they're both better players in my opinion. But sometimes a gamble like that pays off.
Well they say physical play can tend to wear a player down over the years.

But then Doan at 35 has stayed very healthy thus far.

I have a theory that those players who refrain from partying tend to NOT wear down as much over time

(and Doan don't party).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I have to believe Doan is exactly what the Canucks need and we can waffle on about the future, salaries ,how old he is, injuries or what ever , the Hell with it lets throw caution to the wind and just go for it. Apparently his daughter has had recent serious injuries which has delayed the process
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Has anybody informed Doan of the the copious amounts of Agricultural Land Reserve for sale in Yarrow? He could park his horsies there.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:I have to believe Doan is exactly what the Canucks need and we can waffle on about the future, salaries ,how old he is, injuries or what ever , the Hell with it lets throw caution to the wind and just go for it. Apparently his daughter has had recent serious injuries which has delayed the process
The Canucks haven't had much luck with old men - Messier, Sundin, Demitra. We be walking that fine line again by tossing the big bucks to old man Doan.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau