Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Shane Doan

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Meds wrote:So is this the guy you are asking us about to the tune of $6M Doc?

I get that you aren't actually suggesting this as a good idea.....


Actually I was the guy suggesting giving him ONE year @ $10mil. 8-)

One must overpay for UFAs as Supply & Demand dictates, mustn't one?

And one must grasp for the Cup when one is within reach.... mustn't one?

Never would've taken you for one of those who can't seem to grasp all that a player like Doan brings to the table Meds.

.

.
Last edited by Strangelove on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7364
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Mondi wrote:Doan--------------------Raymond

Human-------------------Human
Male----------------------Male
NHL Player--------------NHL Player
Western Conference---Western Conference
Forward-----------------Forward
Right Wing--------------Left Wing
Albertan-----------------Albertan

Okay so that's 7 out of 8


You really ARE quite mad aren't you? :D
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7364
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby ESQ » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:15 pm

Strangelove wrote:
ALL of them??

Please tell me you meant all EXCEPT FOR the comparison to Raymond! :D

I don't think GMMG would give Doan more that Sedins.

How would you feel about Doan at $6mil-per over 4 years?

Just curious....

Well, I didn't see any comparison to Raymond in what I quoted. However, I can see the argumentative value in that comparison, which I don't think he's suggested as saying they bring the same thing to the table. However, from a purely-offensive production standpoint, there is a pretty clear point of comparison.

That is excluding physical play, assholiness, grit, leadership, and other things that you'd pay Doan for.

When this started, I thought $6 million for one year was a large enough over-payment to secure him. Then I thought $6 million for 2 years was required, just because of market pressure. Doan has played this offseason like a true master though, and he will get his money if he leaves Phoenix.

I will say this though - if someone had given, say, Ray Whitney or Teemu Selanne that 4-year contract when they were 35, they'd be feeling pretty damn clever. Whitney got his biggest annual salary this year at $4.5 million, and I'm sure Phoenix could have had him at $3 million or under if they'd given him a 4-year deal instead of 2-year.

Will Doan be like Whitney or Selanne? I doubt it, as they're both better players in my opinion. But sometimes a gamble like that pays off.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby SKYO » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:25 pm

You'd think being a family man, that he'd take an offer soon, so he can relocate his fam' sooner rather than later?
or will his wife be left behind in the Arizona.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:37 pm

ESQ wrote:Well, I didn't see any comparison to Raymond in what I quoted. However, I can see the argumentative value in that comparison, which I don't think he's suggested as saying they bring the same thing to the table. However, from a purely-offensive production standpoint, there is a pretty clear point of comparison.

That is excluding physical play, assholiness, grit, leadership, and other things that you'd pay Doan for.


EXACTLY, there aren't many players available who bring all that to the table

... and are top-six worthy.

Exactly the kind of guy a team that has trouble scoring in the playoffs needs! :thumbs:

ESQ wrote:Will Doan be like Whitney or Selanne? I doubt it, as they're both better players in my opinion. But sometimes a gamble like that pays off.


Well they say physical play can tend to wear a player down over the years.

But then Doan at 35 has stayed very healthy thus far.

I have a theory that those players who refrain from partying tend to NOT wear down as much over time

(and Doan don't party).

I dunno, Doan is EXACTLY what the Canucks need, I'd be tempted to risk a 4 year deal

.... and pray the new CBA drops the continued-cap-hit-for-retiring-signed-plus-35-guys thingy.

No doubt after winning the Cup in 2013 the Canuck faithful will boo Doan into retirement if he starts sucking in 2014!

Gotta love fuckin Canuck fans! :drink:
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7364
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:25 pm

I have to believe Doan is exactly what the Canucks need and we can waffle on about the future, salaries ,how old he is, injuries or what ever , the Hell with it lets throw caution to the wind and just go for it. Apparently his daughter has had recent serious injuries which has delayed the process
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Has anybody informed Doan of the the copious amounts of Agricultural Land Reserve for sale in Yarrow? He could park his horsies there.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Shane Doan

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Fred wrote:I have to believe Doan is exactly what the Canucks need and we can waffle on about the future, salaries ,how old he is, injuries or what ever , the Hell with it lets throw caution to the wind and just go for it. Apparently his daughter has had recent serious injuries which has delayed the process


The Canucks haven't had much luck with old men - Messier, Sundin, Demitra. We be walking that fine line again by tossing the big bucks to old man Doan.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Shane Doan

Postby Canuck-One » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Fred wrote:I have to believe Doan is exactly what the Canucks need and we can waffle on about the future, salaries ,how old he is, injuries or what ever , the Hell with it lets throw caution to the wind and just go for it. Apparently his daughter has had recent serious injuries which has delayed the process


The Canucks haven't had much luck with old men - Messier, Sundin, Demitra. We be walking that fine line again by tossing the big bucks to old man Doan.



Last I looked RD there wasn't anyone else out there to throw money at. We desperatley need a top six power forward to play with the Sedins. We also need a playmaker for the 2nd line. If we sign Doan to play with the Sedins can Burrows be the straw that stirs the second line? As none of this money is mine and Aquaman seems content to spend to the limit then I'm all for it. I guess it all depends on what Gillis is getting back for Luongo and I'm sure he has a pretty good idea at this point.
User avatar
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Living the Life

Re: Shane Doan

Postby ESQ » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:35 pm

RoyalDude wrote:The Canucks haven't had much luck with old men - Messier, Sundin, Demitra. We be walking that fine line again by tossing the big bucks to old man Doan.

I dunno, I didn't really think Demitra was a disappointment, he was pretty much exactly what I expected and he was a pretty key piece of the offense during those transition years, at a reasonable cap hit.

Sundin was a case of costing nothing but cash and cap space, both of which the Canucks had. I don't believe the two-year offer was on the table after Sundin missed training camp, but that second year would have been bad. The first though I thought Sundin wasn't a $10 million player, but he was one of the best forwards the Canucks had and he definitely added to the team without taking away.

Strangelove wrote:EXACTLY, there aren't many players available who bring all that to the table

... and are top-six worthy.

Exactly the kind of guy a team that has trouble scoring in the playoffs needs! :thumbs:
...
I dunno, Doan is EXACTLY what the Canucks need, I'd be tempted to risk a 4 year deal

.... and pray the new CBA drops the continued-cap-hit-for-retiring-signed-plus-35-guys thingy.

I agree, I feel he's exactly what the Canucks are missing. I might risk a 4-year deal at $5 million, but no way at $7.5 million. That's money you pay a PPG player on his first UFA contract, not a 30g-30a guy on his last contract before retirement. Take a look here for comparable contracts: http://www.capgeek.com/comparables.php? ... player=773

But the biggest thing is, we aren't giving up only cash and cap space, we'd have to sacrifice players to fit Doan.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby Meds » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:44 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Meds wrote:So is this the guy you are asking us about to the tune of $6M Doc?

I get that you aren't actually suggesting this as a good idea.....


Actually I was the guy suggesting giving him ONE year @ $10mil. 8-)

One must overpay for UFAs as Supply & Demand dictates, mustn't one?

And one must grasp for the Cup when one is within reach.... mustn't one?

Never would've taken you for one of those who can't seem to grasp all that a player like Doan brings to the table Meds.

.

.


One year? Sure. Why not I say. Multiple years at that price ($6M)? No thanks.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby SKYO » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:24 pm

@News1130Sports
Doan met with Canucks brass at the Italian Kitchen.
-
Doan meeting the Canucks tonight in VAN is a clear indication how high they are on his list if things don't work out in PHOE.


:thumbs:
Finally some news in the Canuck world!

IF he signed here, he'd have to pick another jersey #? :o
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:38 pm

SKYO wrote:
@News1130Sports
Doan met with Canucks brass at the Italian Kitchen.
-
Doan meeting the Canucks tonight in VAN is a clear indication how high they are on his list if things don't work out in PHOE.


:thumbs:
Finally some news in the Canuck world!


Are we about to embark on another old man Sundin/Messier experiment gone expensively wrong? But I guess it's the 'mentoring' that we are paying for, not the on-ice product for what monies are being paid out for those services provided in return of.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Shane Doan

Postby SKYO » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:45 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Are we about to embark on another old man Sundin/Messier experiment gone expensively wrong? But I guess it's the 'mentoring' that we are paying for, not the on-ice product for what monies are being paid out for those services provided in return of.

Well at least he'd be an improvement on Kassian for the time being and Doan can probably be the only player other than just Burrows who can play well with the twins as well.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 pm

SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Are we about to embark on another old man Sundin/Messier experiment gone expensively wrong? But I guess it's the 'mentoring' that we are paying for, not the on-ice product for what monies are being paid out for those services provided in return of.

Well at least he'd be an improvement on Kassian for the time being and Doan can probably be the only player other than just Burrows who can play well with the twins as well.


I would be expecting similar results as to what Ryan Smyth provided when he went back to Edmonton. Good in spots, but disappearing from the grind for stretch's. Old Man Father Time is a vicious dude. I know, I'm in my 40's, I am awfully close to ordering up a batch of Cialis.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dchrist2, Eddy Punch Clock and 3 guests