Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Why is Doc trying to rid the Canucks of Heathens in the line-up?

Heathens - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt5oRQhpc5E

"repent! repent!"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

FAN wrote:: I think Doan skates pretty well with a decent startup and a very strong skater.
Doan has been a below average skater for basically his whole career.

And whats your point anyway, do you think that he is going to be able to play until he's 40? Or is this just you keeping with your trend of constantly trying to start pointless debates with me.

I guess I should be flattered to garner so much of your attention :)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mondi wrote:If the Canucks sign Doan to 4 years and 30 million Strangelove, you can petition the mod to ban me. I won't object.

The point of the comparison, was to highlight the absurdity of what Shane Doan has been made out to be over the past 2 months.

This is a guy who has never put his team past the 1st round until his 16th season.

This is a guy who has never scored more than 31 goals in his entire career.

This is guy who is being mistaken for the second coming of Brendan Shanahan.

I suppose SL, as always, you're either king of hyperbole, or you just can't quite grasp it.

Doan is Messier, Sundin, and Demitra. He's done as an impact player and ought not to be paid like one well into his late 30s. He's a 55 point player that wants to make 85 point cash.

Not good value.
I would not be happy if the Canucks sign Doan to a 4 years $30m contract. As I said, I do not believe many GMs, except Holmgren, Sather, or Snow will give him that much. However, the current Canucks top-six is seriously missing some grit and size. Unless Kassian is 100% ready for that role, Doan will be the perfect candidate for the time being. He is an UFA that costs the Canucks nothing but money. Personally, I would be glad if MG could sign Doan to a 4 years $20m or a 3 years $16.5m contract.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Potatoe1 wrote: Doan has been a below average skater for basically his whole career.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Have you seen Shane Doan play? Do you even know how to skate? Doan has a strong and smooth skating stride and has been known as a strong skater throughout his NHL career. Doan is plenty fast and should be evident to anyone who has watched him over the years.
Potatoe1 wrote: I guess I should be flattered to garner so much of your attention :)
Lol. You really should dial down your arrogance. It's unfortunate that you often don't comprehend what other people are writing because if you do comprehend what other people are writing, you won't always think it's a pointless debate whenever someone disagrees with you and proves you wrong. Ah well.
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Jovocop wrote:
Mondi wrote:If the Canucks sign Doan to 4 years and 30 million Strangelove, you can petition the mod to ban me. I won't object.

The point of the comparison, was to highlight the absurdity of what Shane Doan has been made out to be over the past 2 months.

This is a guy who has never put his team past the 1st round until his 16th season.

This is a guy who has never scored more than 31 goals in his entire career.

This is guy who is being mistaken for the second coming of Brendan Shanahan.

I suppose SL, as always, you're either king of hyperbole, or you just can't quite grasp it.

Doan is Messier, Sundin, and Demitra. He's done as an impact player and ought not to be paid like one well into his late 30s. He's a 55 point player that wants to make 85 point cash.

Not good value.
I would not be happy if the Canucks sign Doan to a 4 years $30m contract. As I said, I do not believe many GMs, except Holmgren, Sather, or Snow will give him that much. However, the current Canucks top-six is seriously missing some grit and size. Unless Kassian is 100% ready for that role, Doan will be the perfect candidate for the time being. He is an UFA that costs the Canucks nothing but money. Personally, I would be glad if MG could sign Doan to a 4 years $20m or a 3 years $16.5m contract.
Fo the articles I've read in the MSM and quotes from his agent, he's not even looking at contracts for less than 3yrs, and most are $6m+ per and 4-5 years. And the Canucks are supposedly on his "shortlist" and have an offer on the table. This leads me to believe that GMMG can't be offering less than $18m over 3yrs, otherwise we wouldn't be even in the game at this point.

He ain't gonna come cheap, no matter what arguments forum posters table.

Odds are he stays in PHX, anyhow. Bleh.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

FAN wrote: You have no idea what you're talking about. Have you seen Shane Doan play? Do you even know how to skate? Doan has a strong and smooth skating stride and has been known as a strong skater throughout his NHL career. Doan is plenty fast and should be evident to anyone who has watched him over the years.
:)

We'll agree to disagree.

I have been watching Doan since Jr, And his skating has never been a strength. There were questions about his skating when he was drafted, and questions about his ability to keep up on the big ice at the 2010 Olympics, which were a big reason he wasn't selected (despite always playing at the worlds almost every year).

Anyway, I'm not saying he's Dana Murzyn out there but his skating is certainly below average when compared to other top6 forwards, and the over all point is that the guys who are still effective in their very late 30's or early 40's tend to be great skaters and Doan certainly is no such thing.
Lol. You really should dial down your arrogance. It's unfortunate that you often don't comprehend what other people are writing because if you do comprehend what other people are writing, you won't always think it's a pointless debate whenever someone disagrees with you and proves you wrong. Ah well.
:lol:

OK Fan,,,,

Hey how about for the sake of my sanity you resist the urge to respond to everything I write. You already drove Coco totally bonkers, I would like to avoid a similar fate.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

At those numbers, stay clear away MG. Im starting to get leery of the idea of Doan, his age is a real concern and I think those numbers are completely out of order. He's not an elite player. This could Sundin, Messier all over again or similar to the Oilers going down the Ryan Smyth road again.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

FAN wrote: Lol. You really should dial down your arrogance. It's unfortunate that you often don't comprehend what other people are writing because if you do comprehend what other people are writing, you won't always think it's a pointless debate whenever someone disagrees with you and proves you wrong. Ah well.
So sensitive.
Potatoe1 wrote: Hey how about for the sake of my sanity you resist the urge to respond to everything I write. You already drove Coco totally bonkers, I would like to avoid a similar fate.
My sanity is fine btw, but I'm tired of the pointless debate after pointless debate with said poster.

There were too many to count over at Central, but in the spirit of a new start, I ventured into another discussion with this poster, much to my regret obviously.

Anyways, if Doan wants +7M, he'll have to go to the East. Reports are that Detroit dropped out, and I'm not sure if the Sharks or Kings would be willing to give Doan that much money. Somehow I don't see the Kings paying Doan as much, or close to Kopitar, and the already somewhat old Sharks should be leery of investing big in a +35 year old.

IMO, even if MG is going to overpay and give Doan some term, there's absolutely no way MG offers Doan as much as the Sedins make, let alone more.

I don't like giving Doan a 4-5 year deal at this age, especially at anything over $5M. It would be a "all-in" type of a move from MG if he gives Doan money and term, and the only real payoff would be winning a cup or two, which no one here would complain about, but it could turn out to be a contract that makes Ballard look like he's on an ELC.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Jovocop wrote:
None of the Coyotes' centremen scored more than 40 points in 2011/12. Is it safe to assume that Doan will get more points playing along the Sedins?
Ray Whitney played with the same centers and out scored Doan by 27 points.

Like I said I think he's a good fit here and would love to have him, but he's being way over rated by Fans and Media and I also think he is a good bet to regress significantly over the next 4 years. In fact I really don't expect him even to be in the league at 40.

How much fun would it be to eat a 5 to 7 mill cap hit for a guy who cant even play on our 4th line.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

7 plus million for 4 years? Serious? Hahaha

Here's a perfect example of the best moves are the ones you don't make.
If you need air...call it in
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

3 years at 6 mill is probably the upper limit the Canucks should go, I could see MG setting a ceiling such as that. Even then, a risk, but not having a 4th year is a big deal for an over 35 year old and I don't see him getting paid a million more than the Sedins. Doan would be a very good addition, but he's not a Weber, a young game changer. If these demands are true, then he's not coming to Van...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gotta agree with Potatoe here.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Boston Canucker wrote:3 years at 6 mill is probably the upper limit the Canucks should go, I could see MG setting a ceiling such as that. Even then, a risk, but not having a 4th year is a big deal for an over 35 year old and I don't see him getting paid a million more than the Sedins. Doan would be a very good addition, but he's not a Weber, a young game changer. If these demands are true, then he's not coming to Van...
Exactly. The Canucks have instated a successful salary structure that they don't waver from. An exception could be made without upsetting guys IF it would be for an exceptional player. Doan isn't that exceptional, especially for 7.5.

Good luck resigning anyone for less than market value when you start overpaying like that.
Judging by Gillis's track record, thankfully he won't be the guy to blow the whole system on 1 aging grinder.
If you need air...call it in
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I might give Doan $30m (of someone else's money) over four years if I could structure it 14, 10, 4, 2 with the right to trade him to the Phoenix Coyotes at any time and any team from a list of five to seven of his choosing after the first season. Load the first two years of the deal with signing bonuses so that a year from now there's three seasons and about $9m remaining.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The fact is unless we get some one of Doans ilk we ain't going any where in the play-offs. We need an alternate look, our current team has been a dollar short and a day late
cheers