RFA Voracek

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: RFA Voracek

Post by ESQ »

Just to play devil's advocate, had the Canucks acquired Voracek with an offer sheet at $4.25 million, we would have given up a 1st and a 3rd.

To acquire Booth at the same salary and a 3rd, we gave up Sturm and Sammuelson.

Last season Voracek scored 2 more goals than Booth in 20 more games.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ESQ wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, had the Canucks acquired Voracek with an offer sheet at $4.25 million, we would have given up a 1st and a 3rd.

Even better we know that Philly would have matched a $4.25M offer sheet so we would have likely had to offer something more.

Say between $5,046,585 to $6,728,781.

Where the compensation is - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd.

Does anyone really wonder why offer sheets aren't handed out regularly especially with the cap going up every year and so many teams with significant cap space.

The only way I can see these working (without screwing your own team over with a ridiculous contract and overcompensation) is to target teams with RFA's that are close to the cap.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Offer sheets are stupid. Only one attempt has been successful over the past 15 years, and if you ask most Oiler fans they will tell you it wasn't really successful at all.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ESQ wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, had the Canucks acquired Voracek with an offer sheet at $4.25 million, we would have given up a 1st and a 3rd.

No offense my friend, but at 23 years of age, Voracek is already a far more dynamic hockey player than the 28 year old dumb blonde will ever be.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

herb wrote:Offer sheets are stupid. Only one attempt has been successful over the past 15 years, and if you ask most Oiler fans they will tell you it wasn't really successful at all.
I love Offer Sheets.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

One that I thought was close was the Vanek offer sheet.

I just looked back - the compensation would have been 4 first-round draft picks :shock:

It never occurred to me before, but my god Regier must be kicking himself over that one!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

RoyalDude wrote:
herb wrote:Offer sheets are stupid. Only one attempt has been successful over the past 15 years, and if you ask most Oiler fans they will tell you it wasn't really successful at all.
I love Offer Sheets.
Why? Because they generally accomplish very little?
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Offer sheets aren't stupid per se, it's just that as the salary cap went up, the dollar scale for compensation also went up. If they ever adjust the offer sheet compensation scale in the new CBA, offer sheets can be a potent weapon again. If you look at the RFA compensation tables for the 2006 season, compensation for an offer sheet worth $4M a year would have been 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. If say Vorachek a team offered Voracheck a $4M offer last season (he made $2.25M last season) and the compensation was 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd, would you take it? I probably would have taken the compensation.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

FAN wrote:
Offer sheets aren't stupid per se, it's just that as the salary cap went up, the dollar scale for compensation also went up. If they ever adjust the offer sheet compensation scale in the new CBA, offer sheets can be a potent weapon again. If you look at the RFA compensation tables for the 2006 season, compensation for an offer sheet worth $4M a year would have been 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. If say Vorachek a team offered Voracheck a $4M offer last season (he made $2.25M last season) and the compensation was 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd, would you take it? I probably would have taken the compensation.
$4M was slightly under 10% of the Cap in 2006.Of course you would take the compensation for a guy like Voracek because no sane GM would spend 10% of his cap on that player.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

FAN wrote:
Seriously, who would offer 2 firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd for Voracek? He is not a franchise player.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Jovocop wrote:Seriously, who would offer 2 firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd for Voracek? He is not a franchise player.
An impatient GM with big balls who slays deals left right and center would!

A moron also would likely do the same.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Seriously, who would offer 2 firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd for Voracek? He is not a franchise player.

:lol:
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Jovocop wrote: Seriously, who would offer 2 firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd for Voracek? He is not a franchise player.
A team who is perennially drafting in the late 20s in the first round of the NHL draft? Probably work out to be a good deal for a few teams. Red Wings perhaps?
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

herb wrote:

:lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote: Seriously, who would offer 2 firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd for Voracek? He is not a franchise player.
There are not many things in life that are guaranteed but one thing for certain is, if you replaced the name Voracek with David 'the heathen' Booth, you Jovocop most certainly would have no problem giving up 2 firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd for David 'the airhead' Booth.