Nash to the Rangers.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Nash to the Rangers.

Post by Chef Boi RD »

In the end, as time passes on, the Columbus Blue Jackets will win this trade for the simple fact that Nash will be one of the biggest over paid bums in a couple years (he practically already is, take note of his depreciating stats. I'd much rather have Simmonds 28 goals at his price than Nash's 30 goals at his price) and the Rangers will be left holding the bag on that colossal contract.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

RoyalDude wrote:In the end, as time passes on, the Columbus Blue Jackets will win this trade for the simple fact that Nash will be one of the biggest over paid bums in a couple years (he practically already is, take note of his depreciating stats. I'd much rather have Simmonds 28 goals at his price than Nash's 30 goals at his price) and the Rangers will be left holding the bag on that colossal contract.
At least with the Rangers one stat will is guaranteed to improve. That -653 of his last season was abysmal.
2011..... the one that got away.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

RoyalDude wrote:In the end, as time passes on, the Columbus Blue Jackets will win this trade for the simple fact that Nash will be one of the biggest over paid bums in a couple years (he practically already is, take note of his depreciating stats. I'd much rather have Simmonds 28 goals at his price than Nash's 30 goals at his price) and the Rangers will be left holding the bag on that colossal contract.
It's not so much that his stats are declining (yeah, a bit, but nor much). His contract was just too rich to start with. $7.8 for 70 points. The twins look better and better with every passing crappy contract other teams are biting into.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Although it may be interesting to see what happens when Nash gets to play on a line with Richards and Gaborik. Richards is a really solid 2-way forward and is a pretty good playing making center. Gaborik is a flash and dash sniper and Nash is a power forward with soft hands and a sniper's shot.

In Columbus Nash didn't get to play with anyone of note.....pretty much ever. I'm going to guess that the Rangers were his top choice because they are a team that is good at attracting top talent regardless of price tag, so Nash has to think that he will always have someone to play with.

The defense in New York just got a whole lot thinner too. They are now a one line team up front with a thin blueline and no real supporting cast beyond Callahan. They do have roughly $13M in cap space still available, but some of that has to be ear marked for Del Zotto, and possibly Eminger. I won't be surprised to see Marc Staal traded to Carolina before his contract is up as it seems that the Staal brothers want to play together and his current deal takes him to UFA (depending upon new CBA I suppose).

Lundqvist is going to have to repeat last year's performance if the Rangers want to be considered a favorite again. Looking at their lineup, their top 6 contracts make them appear formidable indeed, but it's all a smokescreen for the supporting roles. One injury to any of Gaborik, Richards, Nash, Staal, or Lundqvist, and the Rangers are in trouble.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Potatoe1 wrote: Dubinsky and Anisimov were both in the 35 point range last season that is not going to be very difficult to make up.
Both Dubinsky and Anisimov had down years and they essentially produced those totals playing 3rd line minutes. I'm not saying the Rangers can't replace them, because the Rangers likely felt they did just that in the playoffs. But those two players are good all-around NHL players who have spent at least three full seasons in the NHL. The Rangers are essentially trying to replace those two with players who are either rookies or in their second year. I just think the Rangers will be disappointed next season if they were looking to take a step forward from their accomplishments last year given the inexperience up front.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

FAN wrote: The Rangers are essentially trying to replace those two with players who are either rookies or in their second year.
Uhh no, they are replacing 1 of those players with Nash and the other with their prospect pool or someone else they can sign.

Further to that by getting a first liner in Nash one of their top6 from last year can move down.

As you said they traded 2, 3rd liners for a first liner, it is very hard to not improve when you do that.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
Although it may be interesting to see what happens when Nash gets to play on a line with Richards and Gaborik. Richards is a really solid 2-way forward and is a pretty good playing making center. Gaborik is a flash and dash sniper and Nash is a power forward with soft hands and a sniper's shot.

In Columbus Nash didn't get to play with anyone of note.....pretty much ever. I'm going to guess that the Rangers were his top choice because they are a team that is good at attracting top talent regardless of price tag, so Nash has to think that he will always have someone to play with.

The defense in New York just got a whole lot thinner too. They are now a one line team up front with a thin blueline and no real supporting cast beyond Callahan. They do have roughly $13M in cap space still available, but some of that has to be ear marked for Del Zotto, and possibly Eminger. I won't be surprised to see Marc Staal traded to Carolina before his contract is up as it seems that the Staal brothers want to play together and his current deal takes him to UFA (depending upon new CBA I suppose).

Lundqvist is going to have to repeat last year's performance if the Rangers want to be considered a favorite again. Looking at their lineup, their top 6 contracts make them appear formidable indeed, but it's all a smokescreen for the supporting roles. One injury to any of Gaborik, Richards, Nash, Staal, or Lundqvist, and the Rangers are in trouble.
Nash is not an elite category player but is paid like one, but hey, those are the types of players Sather likes. Columbus wins this deal.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

FAN wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: Dubinsky and Anisimov were both in the 35 point range last season that is not going to be very difficult to make up.
Both Dubinsky and Anisimov had down years and they essentially produced those totals playing 3rd line minutes. I'm not saying the Rangers can't replace them, because the Rangers likely felt they did just that in the playoffs. But those two players are good all-around NHL players who have spent at least three full seasons in the NHL. The Rangers are essentially trying to replace those two with players who are either rookies or in their second year. I just think the Rangers will be disappointed next season if they were looking to take a step forward from their accomplishments last year given the inexperience up front.
Dubinsky had an awful year last year and the team finished 2nd in points and he missed most of the playoffs and they got to the conf finals. at 4.2 mill and with younger guys like Kreider coming up, Sather is probably thrilled to get rid of him. Anisimov is fine, but not a game changer; a decent 2nd liner at best; and Erixon had an okay, but not really impressive 15-20 game stint with Rangers, and with Rangers young D he was expendable. Maybe he turns into a stud, but no signs as yet. In all, CBJ got hosed, and NYR ends up with a true power forward, the better player, and he'll be on a line with either B Richards or Callahan...the Rangers never care about the money. With Lundquist in net they just need to find a way to squeeze out more goals, Nash will make a difference in that regard...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:The defense in New York just got a whole lot thinner too. They are now a one line team up front with a thin blueline and no real supporting cast beyond Callahan. They do have roughly $13M in cap space still available, but some of that has to be ear marked for Del Zotto, and possibly Eminger. I won't be surprised to see Marc Staal traded to Carolina before his contract is up as it seems that the Staal brothers want to play together and his current deal takes him to UFA (depending upon new CBA I suppose).
Did they get thinner when they traded Tim Erixon (who played just 18 games last year) or when you started assuming Marc Staal is a goner?

At any rate if you rank their defensemen by the volume of ice time they will be losing their 6th, 9th, 10th and 11th defensemen. Hardly a great loss and there is still tons of time to replace players of that calibre in free agency.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Still not sure what to think of this trade yet. In one hand I'm not convinced playing with better player leads to a huge difference in Nash's output. On the other side I like dubinsky and what he can bring to the jackets. Anisimov and erixon are wild cards. Anisimov is at an age where as a big man he starts to take off offensively. Erixon 12 short months ago was considered a top player not in the nhl. If ericon becomes a top 4/ first pp unit guy and snisimov develops into a second line center I'm not convinced the jackets loss the deal....even ignoring the limited trade options they had.

The rangers also have some big renewals coming up. Del zotto is immediate and likely to be 5+ a year. Stephan and hagelin will be up next year and are now the anchors of the second lind. Mcdonagh is up next summer as well az UFAs to be girardi and lundqvist after that. I. Short the rangers need the prospect system to keep churning out stars and/or make a handful of great deals not to run into cap hell. Note: I think the toilers are going to have far more issues moving forward when the 7 mil contract demands start coming. They will need to make astute trades to grow the team.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Mëds wrote: They are now a one line team up front with a thin blueline and no real supporting cast beyond Callahan.
They have, potentially, the makings of a nice second line. Assuming the 3 big names are your 1st line, Callahan with some combination of Stephan, Hagelin or Kreider might be just fine. However, thats a lot to expect of such a young group. They better hope none of them (including their young Dmen) have been overachieving thus far. Does any other top contender have this many early 20's players in significant roles?
Mëds wrote:Lundqvist is going to have to repeat last year's performance if the Rangers want to be considered a favorite again. Looking at their lineup, their top 6 contracts make them appear formidable indeed, but it's all a smokescreen for the supporting roles. One injury to any of Gaborik, Richards, Nash, Staal, or Lundqvist, and the Rangers are in trouble.
It reminds me of the Avalanche when they had all those young guys emerge at once. Is this the year they have a reality check?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Rayxor wrote: They have, potentially, the makings of a nice second line. Assuming the 3 big names are your 1st line, Callahan with some combination of Stephan, Hagelin or Kreider might be just fine. However, thats a lot to expect of such a young group. They better hope none of them (including their young Dmen) have been overachieving thus far. Does any other top contender have this many early 20's players in significant roles?
I don't think their 3 stars will play together. They would be much better separating Nash and Gaborik.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Potatoe1 wrote: Uhh no, they are replacing 1 of those players with Nash and the other with their prospect pool or someone else they can sign.
Uhh no, Anisimov and Dubinsky were essentially 3rd line players for the Rangers last year. Is Nash a third liner?
Potatoe1 wrote: Further to that by getting a first liner in Nash one of their top6 from last year can move down.

As you said they traded 2, 3rd liners for a first liner, it is very hard to not improve when you do that.
That's what the Rangers have in mind. I'm not saying they aren't improved but I just don't think they've improved all that much as a result of the trade. This is a team game. There are plenty of times where teams have added a star player and not improve or at least not improve substantially. The Rangers got to where they were last year without the firepower of a first-line winger.

And given where the Rangers finished last season (best in the Eastern Conference in the regular season with 109 points and losing in the Eastern Conference Finals), improvement means taking the next step and reaching the Stanley Cup finals. Anisimov tied for 4th on team scoring in the playoffs averaging less than 14 minutes a game. That was a key contribution. Can guys like Kreider replace Anisimov's production? Sure. All around play in the playoffs? For next season, I doubt it.

Only time will tell. I just think the Rangers have too many rookies and second year guys in their lineup to reach the Cup finals.
Last edited by FAN on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

FAN wrote: Only time will tell. I just think the Rangers have too many rookies and first year guys in their lineup to reach the Cup finals.
They will have fewer rookies then they had last year, and as you noted they went to the ECF.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Potatoe1 wrote: They will have fewer rookies then they had last year, and as you noted they went to the ECF.
I meant rookies and second year guys which I mentioned in my earlier post, and I'm not so sure they will have fewer rookies than they had last year. Depends on who makes the team. Kreider will still be a rookie next season. Like I said, the Rangers were the best in the Eastern Conference in the regular season and went to the ECF. How do you improve upon that? President's trophy and a trip to the SCF? The Nash is a good acquisition for the Rangers, but I'm not sure it's an aquisition that will pay off. My prediction is that the Rangers will take a step back next season, especially in the playoffs where the number of inexperienced players up front would hurt them.