Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Lancer wrote:
Gillis seems very high on Connauton. Evidently they thought his development has overtaken Gragnani, as well that they apparently overestimated how fast Gragnani could climb the learning curve of playing the Canucks' system. I guess you could look at it as a better way to go and let Gragnani find his opportunities elsewhere rather than keeping him on the payroll and burying him in the minors because someone else climbed over him on the depth chart. I'm thinking there's a very real chance Connauton could be a 7th defenceman to ease him into the line-up if he impresses in training camp.

Let me tell you about a time, Lancer, in another universe called Canucks Central, not too long ago, when Chef Boi RD here was talking glowingly of the potential of your Kevin Connauton. You know what happened, Lance? I got lambasted by the likes of Potatoe who was the ring leader in all of this for having the thought in mind that "hey, keep your eye on this Kevin Connauton kid, he's the goods. Big time potential...blah, blah, blah, blah." All I got out of that was the likes of Potatoe shootin' me down, calling Connauton a no good to nothing bum. Let me tell you what Lance, Ol' Potatoe Peeler there is going to be eating his words cause I will be there to remind him on a daily posting basis how wrong he was about ol' Kevin there.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby FAN » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:04 pm

clem wrote:It seems Gillis thinks Weber's contract emphasis didn't go far beyond money, & that Holmgren is a bit of a goof.

It was quite clear, at the end of the day, what the objectives were..
To take advantage of the current system, and to maximize his economic return...

"why he didn’t take a flier like Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren"
I guess that’s one school of thought. To me I’d rather be trying to accomplish things rather than, ‘Okay, throw something up in the air and hope that it sticks'

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/mike-gillis-talks-weber-doan-and-luongo/article4436168/?service=mobile

I took Gillis' comments as PC comments meant to support one of his trading buddies David Poile.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:53 pm

What the fuck is Gillis doing for fuck sakes. Is their anybody driving the Canuck bus right now?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby FAN » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:05 pm

RoyalDude wrote:What the fuck is Gillis doing for fuck sakes. Is their anybody driving the Canuck bus right now?

The Canuck bus has been held up, and Gillis is busy meeting with Colin Campbell and several other GMs in hopes of removing the interference.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Meds » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:23 pm

One of the best goalies not playing in NHL. Jealous of this organization as my own seems to get countless top 10 draft picks including first overall several years running and we don't seem to be going anywhere. Hat's off to an organization with strong mangagement that I wish we had.

This is a quote by an Oilers fan after reading that Gillis extended Lack. :lol:
Meds
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:24 pm

I rank Mike Gillis' work this off-season, on a scale of 10, at approximately 1.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:15 pm

RoyalDude wrote:I rank Mike Gillis' work this off-season, on a scale of 10, at approximately 1.

aaaannnnndd the next time you're right will be the first time in a while anyways.

Gillis is a 3-4 / 10 . Pisses me off he thought Tanner Glass was the answer to the 4th line shitshow.....pisses me off more that he duffed his drive on Justin Schultz. Doan and Weber were nice dreams and not his fault..........well not entirely.

Gillis has huge eye bags and I have no idea why because he seems to catch a lot of naps on the job.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby FAN » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Gillis is a 3-4 / 10 . Pisses me off he thought Tanner Glass was the answer to the 4th line shitshow.....pisses me off more that he duffed his drive on Justin Schultz. Doan and Weber were nice dreams and not his fault..........well not entirely.

Gillis has huge eye bags and I have no idea why because he seems to catch a lot of naps on the job.

It hasn't been a good summer for Gillis. He made the same offer as the Penguins for Glass and lost out. He made a better offer to Doan than Phoenix and lost out. He made the same offer for Schultz (money wise) and lost out. He did manage to sign Garrison which helps, but...
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:07 am

Ewwww, Gillis tried to get Glass back? Why? *LOL*

Can't blame Tanner for signing with Pittsburgh though, with Sid and Malkin, they probably have a better chance @ a cup and Tanner was in the doghouse a bit for the later part of his time here (that playoff run). Plus, it rains too much here, he'd probably rather go freeze his ass off in Pitts. :lol:

FAN wrote:He made the same offer as the Penguins for Glass and lost out.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:24 am

FAN wrote: He made a better offer to Doan than Phoenix and lost out.

I have heard the Canucks offered Doan 4 years at 20 and I also read that they offered him an identical deal to the one Alex Burrows signed. No way in hell they offered 6.5- 7.5 a year over four years as some psycopaths on this board would have you believe.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Meds » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:57 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I rank Mike Gillis' work this off-season, on a scale of 10, at approximately 1.

aaaannnnndd the next time you're right will be the first time in a while anyways.

Gillis is a 3-4 / 10 . Pisses me off he thought Tanner Glass was the answer to the 4th line shitshow.....pisses me off more that he duffed his drive on Justin Schultz. Doan and Weber were nice dreams and not his fault..........well not entirely.

Well I'm not really sure what people expected him to do and who they expected him to sign.....

Weber? Not for the money that Weber was offerred by Philly and Nashville matched. None of us would have been OK with that.

Parise and Suter? It is pretty clear that they wanted to play together and that they got massively overpaid by Minnesota. Even the guy who paid them thinks it was too much.

Doan? Well he stayed in Phoenix, and if Gillis offerred him more and Doan still stayed in the dessert, well nothing Gillis can do there.

Glass? Yeah I'm laughing at that one. He got lucky that Glass went elsewhere.

Too bad about Schultz, but I don't think any GM is going to get much done when you have Paul Coffey and Wayne Gretzky making phone calls and influencing a player. I wonder if that could have been construed as tampering.....

Garrison is a nice addition, but when you consider that he WANTED to come home to play in Vancouver, well good on Gillis for not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I no more credit Gillis for the signing than I would discredit Tallon for not retaining him.

I read a pile of bitching, especially from RD, but I really haven't heard much in the way of what Gillis should have done or who he should have signed.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:51 am

I know it's popular to put Garrison on a kind of pedestal by many. But how many actual times have you watched the guy play ?

I can't recall ever watching him. I did see Ballard and was expecting a good player. I watched him with PHX and quite admired his style and grit, .......but it didn't work out. I hope Garrison fulfills evey ones expectations but I don't have enourmous faith in the Cnaucks Pro scouts to be honest
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby ukcanuck » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:26 am

Fred wrote:I know it's popular to put Garrison on a kind of pedestal by many. But how many actual times have you watched the guy play ?

I can't recall ever watching him. I did see Ballard and was expecting a good player. I watched him with PHX and quite admired his style and grit, .......but it didn't work out. I hope Garrison fulfills evey ones expectations but I don't have enourmous faith in the Cnaucks Pro scouts to be honest

lol can't argue there, :shock:
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:43 am

Fred wrote:I know it's popular to put Garrison on a kind of pedestal by many. But how many actual times have you watched the guy play ?

Fantastic post Fred! Dudes like Meds fall under the category 'Love Is Blind'. He loves Gillis and for that he is blind to his constant blunderings when it comes to making HIS mark on the team, ie adding HIS own players to the Canuck mix instead of just living off of re-signing previous managements players. Gillis transaction action over the last 5 years of his existence here is in itself a tipping of his hat to previous managements workings. Other than Hamhius, who the fuck has Gillis brought to the player that you would call a CORE player? The jury is still out on Garrison and Tanev.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby the Dogsalmon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:35 am

RoyalDude wrote:

Fantastic post Fred! Dudes like Meds fall under the category 'Love Is Blind'. He loves Gillis and for that he is blind to his constant blunderings when it comes to making HIS mark on the team, ie adding HIS own players to the Canuck mix instead of just living off of re-signing previous managements players. Gillis transaction action over the last 5 years of his existence here is in itself a tipping of his hat to previous managements workings. Other than Hamhius, who the fuck has Gillis brought to the player that you would call a CORE player? The jury is still out on Garrison and Tanev.

you cant use the words "Canucks scouts" and professional in the same book...worst scouts in the league...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat