Weber is a Pred for Life

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Re: Weber is a Pred for Life

Post by BCExpat »

Well, now Philly might make an offer to take JBo off the Flames hands :lol:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BCExpat wrote:Well, now Philly might make an offer to take JBo off the Flames hands :lol:
Besides Feaster and the Flames fans, RD would be very excited with such a boldmove by Holmgren. :lol:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Darren DregerVerified ‏@DarrenDreger
Now that Nashville has matched, expect Titan Sports to ask for a no trade or modified no trade clause for Weber. Can't be traded for 1 year
Dreger (who has been off by a mile through this whole process) just boggles my mind with this comment.

When on earth would the Preds add a NTC to Weber's deal?

Perhaps while they are at it they could throw him a couple more mill just for good measure.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Darren DregerVerified ‏@DarrenDreger
Now that Nashville has matched, expect Titan Sports to ask for a no trade or modified no trade clause for Weber. Can't be traded for 1 year
Dreger (who has been off by a mile through this whole process) just boggles my mind with this comment.

Perhaps while they are at it they could throw him a couple more mill just for good measure.
I can't for the life of me understand how Dreger and others are surprised Nashville matched. I would have been shocked had they not matched. There's no way they could have let the guy who is "the franchise" leave for a mediocre return. Poile said time and time again that they would match any offer sheet thrown at Weber. He clearly wasn't bluffing.

Nashville knew they were looking at massive contracts for Weber and Suter when they entered the off season. Poile was undoubtedly hoping the deal for Weber would have been structured differently than the offer sheet he signed, but I don't think anybody is particulary surprised that Weber now has the contract he does. It looks a lot like other big contracts we have seen over the past five years to franchise type players.
Last edited by herb on Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

I thought the same thing Pot... if Nashville give any kind of NTC/NMC I would be very surprised.

After all this would Nashville really want to hamstring themselves in any way?

Sorry Shea, you took a gamble and lost; if he really wanted to play elsewhere then he should have waited a year or refused to sign long term in Nashville and thus force Poile's hand into trading him. He was always going to get paid, no matter what the new CBA looks like. Titan should be fired.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

$lacker wrote:He was always going to get paid, no matter what the new CBA looks like. Titan should be fired.
Not necessarily.

If the CBA changes substantially and limits these huge term contracts with big money up front, Shea wouldn't have been able to sign the contract he did in even only a few months. They're already talking about term limits and equal pay over the life of the contract, so there is a dark cloud of uncertainty around these "cap circumvention" Ilya Kovalchuk like contracts.

If Weber really wanted to leave Nashville, then he wouldn't have signed an offer sheet that Nashville could easily sign and have him locked up forever. He would have signed a one year deal and waited one year for UFA, or requested a trade. He did neither and cashed in now while the old CBA is still in effect. I think Weber signed a big offer with a team he wouldn't mind playing for with the sole purpose of cashing in now while the getting's still good.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:

I can't for the life of me understand how Dreger and others are surprised Nashville matched. I would have been shocked had they not matched. There's no way they could have let the guy who is their entire franchise leave for a rather mediocre return. Poile said time and time again that they would match any offer sheet thrown at Weber. He clearly wasn't bluffing.

Nashville knew they were looking at massive contracts for Weber and Suter when they entered the off season. Poile was undoubtedly hoping the deal for Weber would have been structured differently than the offer sheet he signed, but I don't think anybody is particulary surprised that Weber now has the contract he does. It looks a lot like other big contracts we have seen over the past five years to franchise type players.
I am not surprised that Dreger and others are surprised; however, I am surprised that Holmgren and Weber are suprised. Weber should know Poile's intention to keep him in Nashville long term. The only problem for the Predators was to come up with the actual salary and bonuses for the first year. With the intention to sign both Suter and Parise but failing to do so, the Preds should have enough cash to cover the $20m+ bonuses for the next 360+ days. They could not afford to lose both two defensemen in one year. As I said many times, Holmgren is such an idiot. The asking price for Weber just went up a few times.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

As I said earlier, when Holmgren made that ridiculous offer , Nashville would match. Weber knew they would and he is probably happy as hell. Who wouldn't be with that contract.

One of the things Weber is really happy about is the fact he gets to play for the same coach. Trotz and Weber are quite close.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Darren DregerVerified ?@DarrenDreger

Dreger is a moron who is idolized by Leaf fans.

Twas him who suggested Canucks would have to take the HORRID Komisarek contract back in a Luongo trade

.... spawning thousands of "Luongo... for Komisarek + 4th" posts over at HF. :roll:

Dreger should've never started with the speculating, should've just stuck to getting the scoop on trades/signings.

LOL as if the Preds would throw in a NTC for free at this point!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If I'm Nashville no way in hell do I offer to add a NTC/NMC to the deal at this point. I'm sure they were offering one in their negotiations and he could have had that. Weber went for the money, plain and simple. He got it and with it the risk attached that he has no NTC/NMC. Now obviously Nashville isn't going to trade him for at least a year and I highly doubt any time soon after that. But in 4, 5 6 years he could be a good trade on deadline day for a top feeder wanting to go for it all and the Preds just might hit a home run at that time.

Weber had to have known the Preds would match unless he was seduced by his agent and the Flyers into thinking Poile was bluffing. That being the case I am sure he was prepared for the fact he may be staying and must be fine with it. Otherwise he does a MG type of one year deal.

Whatever bad blood may exist will soon be forgotten. The Preds still have a good team and have a tone of cap space should they wish to make more additions.

But I still don't offer him a NTC/NMC, no way no how. He is an extremely valuable asset and even more so now that he is locked up for life. As a GM I don't do anything to change that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I think that's awesome that Weber doesn't want to play in Vancouver. Shit, first Schultz now Weber. I thought Edmonton was where nobody wanted play? But hey, I love Vancouver, love the Nucks but ya know what I hate more than what I love, arrogant Canuck fans and the Vancouver sports media.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Hmmm do Gillies had it right all along. The only chance was a Max one year deal. But hey Gillis must have gotten lucky again with that read if the situation. Weber wanted the lifetime deal before they were toasted in the next cba and he got that. Destination was secondary to that desire. He got what he wanted and so did the preds even if they do not relish all that money the first year. I know some won't give him any credit in this of course....

On to asking for a no trade to be added. The contract was signed and matched so hoe can anything be added? Wouldn't that be a renegotiation whichbyou can't do? Anyways why would they given Weber could have received essentiall the same money by signing a deal with the preds in the first place?
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

There is only one unfortunate byproduct of this decision and it's the reduced likelihood of Shane Doan coming to Vancouver. Losing out on Weber puts Philly back on top in the Shane Doan sweeps as it seems likes Doan's preferred destination.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Fuckem...Fuck them all to hell :scowl:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

And boom Nashville stops becoming Holmgren's bitch.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.