Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by dbr » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Fred wrote:I quite like Gillis but I have to believe he's viewed with sort of rose coloured glasses. I don't see why he can't come under some reflection and review. He has a strong personality but like BB does tend to subtly talk down to the media .... and the media is the fans access to the GM. If he had a flawless record it would be more acceptable but he doesn't, he has his warts like every one else
The discussion is on here is probably not an accurate reflection of most posters views because the whole thing is being framed by a guy whose been trolling the boards all summer long.. people for the most part are no longer just offering up their unadulterated opinions but instead are replying to the stream of hot garbage coming from one - duh, individual.

I don't think you could find a poster who thinks he is above reproach or has been flawless in his time here.

On the subject of Mike Gillis "talking down" to the media I have no problem with that, the media that actually get access to Gillis are almost invariably complete hacks.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11641
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by RoyalDude » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:09 pm

dbr wrote: On the subject of Mike Gillis "talking down" to the media I have no problem with that, the media that actually get access to Gillis are almost invariably complete hacks.
Again, a classic example of Gillis getting a walkover when it comes to how he interacts with the Media. Gillis is probably the most condescending, pompous arrogant prick to the media that this city has ever seen. Every question he is asked there is always this long silent sigh or puffing of air like he is saying "fuck do I have to answer this stupid fucking question from you morons". I find it funny actually cause I pretty much can't stand 99% of the local sports media as well, but do not for one minute consider Gillis any better with the media than Burke.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 11005
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:15 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jakub Voracek thread says hello.........totally understand why you don't want to go there though.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5901
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Meds » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:06 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
dbr wrote: On the subject of Mike Gillis "talking down" to the media I have no problem with that, the media that actually get access to Gillis are almost invariably complete hacks.
Again, a classic example of Gillis getting a walkover when it comes to how he interacts with the Media. Gillis is probably the most condescending, pompous arrogant prick to the media that this city has ever seen. Every question he is asked there is always this long silent sigh or puffing of air like he is saying "fuck do I have to answer this stupid fucking question from you morons". I find it funny actually cause I pretty much can't stand 99% of the local sports media as well, but do not for one minute consider Gillis any better with the media than Burke.
Two different approaches.

Burke intends to sound pissed off and wants the media to know he's pissed off, and if it is a stupid question he calls it a stupid question. So the media are more on their toes because they know Burke just might go all Tortorella on them and refuse to answer specific individual's questions.....after ripping them a new one.

Gillis tries to veil it somewhat, and answers the questions more intelligently than Burke with an exasperated tone because he knows the fool that asked the question is fully aware that Gillis isn't going to answer it. He also knows the media is looking for ANY and ALL controversy, potential or otherwise, that they can report on to sell as news. Gillis just tells them he's not going to answer the question.

Neither of them get a pass with their treatment of the press.....they both should get an applause for not pandering to the media's BS.

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Fred » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:16 pm

I'll say this about Gillis I listened to him in an interview where he predicted some team might well over spend and need to get rid of players later in the summer or early in the season and he felt he could make some good picks ups at that time. Seems like Philly is well on it's way
cheers

User avatar
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:45 am

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by clem » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Fred wrote:I'll say this about Gillis I listened to him in an interview where he predicted some team might well over spend and need to get rid of players later in the summer or early in the season and he felt he could make some good picks ups at that time. Seems like Philly is well on it's way
There's been ongoing discussion about how a reduction in allowable cap space could force teams (loading up on contracts over the summer) to unload talent, to teams with cap space & money.

This could also be seen as an excuse for not winning the bidding wars.

Time will tell.

http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2012/07/ ... ing-moves/

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Fred » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:06 pm

That's a good article
cheers

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Fred » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:46 pm

MG view of teh coming season and players

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/canucks-gm ... eam1040-2/
cheers

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by FAN » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:41 am

Fred wrote:MG view of teh coming season and players

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/canucks-gm ... eam1040-2/
Thanks I missed this.

User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Lancer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 am

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/07/23 ... e-defence/
“We’ve got a couple of young players we really like – Kevin Connauton and we think this young guy, Frankie Corrado, who unfortunately has a year of junior left, he went to Chicago last year and Craig MacTavish loved him. He’s a very good young player, a right-hand shot, skates well with good size.
“He played very well on his junior team, which wasn’t a very strong team, and when he got to Chicago he got right into the lineup and played a regular shift.
“He’ll have an opportunity.” On why the Canucks gave up so fast on Marc-Andre Gragnani: “It wasn’t so much that we gave up on him, he just didn’t seem a fit for us.
“When we acquired him we were looking for a specific skill set that we thought he possessed, we thought he could help us with. At the end of the day we thought Kevin Connauton’s development in Chicago rivalled that of Marc-Andre.
“He’s a guy we drafted and who we have very high hopes for, he’s a bigger player, he skates extremely well, he’s got great offence. We felt, at the end of the day, we’d be better off giving him an opportunity.”
Gillis seems very high on Connauton. Evidently they thought his development has overtaken Gragnani, as well that they apparently overestimated how fast Gragnani could climb the learning curve of playing the Canucks' system. I guess you could look at it as a better way to go and let Gragnani find his opportunities elsewhere rather than keeping him on the payroll and burying him in the minors because someone else climbed over him on the depth chart. I'm thinking there's a very real chance Connauton could be a 7th defenceman to ease him into the line-up if he impresses in training camp.

Also interesting to see the love for Corrado. I saw him a couple of times watching 67's games and he seemed significantly more polished on the ice compared to many of his blueline peers. Frankly was quietly pleased with that selection, but good to hear that an NHL-calibre coach like MacT, as well as the organization, think highly of him. Too bad he has to go back to a weak Sudbury team. He may turn out to be a Bieksa 2.0 - for better or worse :lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Fred » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 am

Lancer wrote:[Gillis seems very high on Connauton. Evidently they thought his development has overtaken Gragnani, as well that they apparently overestimated how fast Gragnani could climb the learning curve of playing the Canucks' system. I guess you could look at it as a better way to go and let Gragnani find his opportunities elsewhere rather than keeping him on the payroll and burying him in the minors because someone else climbed over him on the depth chart. I'm thinking there's a very real chance Connauton could be a 7th defenceman to ease him into the line-up if he impresses in training camp.

Also interesting to see the love for Corrado. I saw him a couple of times watching 67's games and he seemed significantly more polished on the ice compared to many of his blueline peers. Frankly was quietly pleased with that selection, but good to hear that an NHL-calibre coach like MacT, as well as the organization, think highly of him. Too bad he has to go back to a weak Sudbury team. He may turn out to be a Bieksa 2.0 - for better or worse :lol:
The first time i watched Corrado in the prospects game I was really impressed. Smart beyond his years, he's going to be a better Bieska IMO, assuming he can add some muscle
cheers

User avatar
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:45 am

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by clem » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:10 pm

It seems Gillis thinks Weber's contract emphasis didn't go far beyond money, & that Holmgren is a bit of a goof.
It was quite clear, at the end of the day, what the objectives were..
To take advantage of the current system, and to maximize his economic return...
"why he didn’t take a flier like Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren"
I guess that’s one school of thought. To me I’d rather be trying to accomplish things rather than, ‘Okay, throw something up in the air and hope that it sticks'
.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hoc ... ice=mobile

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11641
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by RoyalDude » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Lancer wrote:
Gillis seems very high on Connauton. Evidently they thought his development has overtaken Gragnani, as well that they apparently overestimated how fast Gragnani could climb the learning curve of playing the Canucks' system. I guess you could look at it as a better way to go and let Gragnani find his opportunities elsewhere rather than keeping him on the payroll and burying him in the minors because someone else climbed over him on the depth chart. I'm thinking there's a very real chance Connauton could be a 7th defenceman to ease him into the line-up if he impresses in training camp.
Let me tell you about a time, Lancer, in another universe called Canucks Central, not too long ago, when Chef Boi RD here was talking glowingly of the potential of your Kevin Connauton. You know what happened, Lance? I got lambasted by the likes of Potatoe who was the ring leader in all of this for having the thought in mind that "hey, keep your eye on this Kevin Connauton kid, he's the goods. Big time potential...blah, blah, blah, blah." All I got out of that was the likes of Potatoe shootin' me down, calling Connauton a no good to nothing bum. Let me tell you what Lance, Ol' Potatoe Peeler there is going to be eating his words cause I will be there to remind him on a daily posting basis how wrong he was about ol' Kevin there.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by FAN » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:04 pm

clem wrote:It seems Gillis thinks Weber's contract emphasis didn't go far beyond money, & that Holmgren is a bit of a goof.
It was quite clear, at the end of the day, what the objectives were..
To take advantage of the current system, and to maximize his economic return...
"why he didn’t take a flier like Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren"
I guess that’s one school of thought. To me I’d rather be trying to accomplish things rather than, ‘Okay, throw something up in the air and hope that it sticks'
.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hoc ... ice=mobile
I took Gillis' comments as PC comments meant to support one of his trading buddies David Poile.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11641
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:53 pm

What the fuck is Gillis doing for fuck sakes. Is their anybody driving the Canuck bus right now?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Post Reply